Modular helmet to blame?

Apologies for the cryptic title, but  just wondering if it's my advancing years that are preventing good life-savers, or a combination of my XXL modular helmet combined with my bulky winter jacket?

I've only had a couple of hours astride the beast, but I found I could only manage 90 degrees out, and couldn't get over my shoulder, I was also relying on my mirrors.

The helmet HJC i90, does seem mahoosive compared to my old helmet, which I just binned because of the road rash.

Thanks @fullscreenaging , I always used to look over my shoulder, and it's a habit I still have whilst driving the car too.

Over twenty years of not riding has left me with less confidence (for now), and It's probably a little paranoia of course, I suppose I just need to keep riding.

Thanks for your time.

Yup Mr Aging has it right. You're not doing the lifesaver to check your mirrors are working correctly. You do it to check your blind spot, and 90 deg of head turn is enough. 

• Thanks 1

Depends on the bike and  Flexibility of the person. .. a full upright (sat up 90 degrees) adv bike will have an easier time over the arched over (45 degrees or less) sportsbike rider that has clip ons....

on the note note of different helmet sizes... yes one manufacturers large could be another medium or xl.

some brands will have fewer shell sizes for their helmets and fill them out with padding, a good brand with many shells per size will go like this-

Xxs and xs will be for one shell size.

sm and med will be for one shell size.

Large and xlarge will be for one shell size.

Xxl and xxxl will be for one shell size.

An alternative brand may go-

xxs, xs sm will be one size shell.

med, large and xl will be for one shell size.

Xxl and xxxl will be for one shell size.

so if your a xxs or a med size your getting the rough end of the deal and will be like a bobble head or look like tiny kid that borrowed dads helmet. Which will be noiser, padding will most certainly give more and will be looser much quicker...

• Like 2