Honda CBR xx Blackbird, fuel consumption issue

11 hours ago, Simon Davey said:

Apologies for hijacking the thread @Vic101

No problem, I'm waiting on tools and other stuff before I can continue anyway.

26 minutes ago, Vic101 said:

What type of bike is it year model etc, I'll see if I find you a workshop manual for you wile I wait.

Are you asking me lol? 

If so, ZZR1200, 2005

I have the original owner's manual, but I'm going to search for a Haynes or similar. 

Cheers 

Edited by Simon Davey

29 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

Are you asking me lol? 

If so, ZZR1200, 2005

I have the original owner's manual, but I'm going to search for a Haynes or similar. 

Cheers 

sorry yeah :)

https://www.manualagent.com/kawasaki/zzr1200/users-manual/page-14

No time to look properly this might help though.

just noticed it says ZZR but looks like ZXR

Edited by Vic101
mistake

On 07/01/2024 at 15:04, RideWithStyles said:

it still will go quickly as a 1100 with four cylinders pumping out 150 hp plus...this will be a gradual thing where you might not notice as its just your bike in isolation. just where you might notice mostly on roll on or off at low to mid revs. 
no harm in giving it a fuel tankfulls of fuel flush and use lower gears with higher revs than you do now to help it out if it's chocked.

I don't understand what "roll on or off at low to mid revs" means, but if it means giving it a good blast down the road with the highest octane fuel I can buy and almost red lining, I have tried that, has the speed limit is 70mph in the UK that's what I must have been doing.

I haven't had the bike long I'm more used to big GSXR's I thought GSXR's where be all and end all of fast bikes that you have to wrestle with, but this Blackbird is something special, nothing like a GSXR nothing like I have ever ridden before all you have to do with the Blackbird is lean on it a bit.

Edited by Vic101

Well, I think I may well have found my gremlin, it's looking very likely to be the FPR  (fuel pressure regulator) or related vacuum pipes. After hours of trawling through the service manual that gives little in the way of pointers I went through every part of the fuel system and searched the net, eventually finding someone with same symptoms I have.

Thanks for all your help and time raking your brains.

I,ll let you know if it's a fix once the work is complete.

Kind regards Vic

1 hour ago, Simon Davey said:

Good luck Vic, and remember, if you need further help, don't ask us🤣🤣

I'll be back

l.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2024 at 19:29, Bianco2564 said:

If the stat housing only reaches say 50C ,I'd say your thermostat is fubarred.

Got this on my car currently, doesn't have a temp guage but I noticed the heater wasn't great, checked it out yesterday and its only reaching 50C after 5 miles of driving.

Update on my car, changed both thermostats, one for engine coolant, other for egr cooler.

Water temp now in normal range, heater works a treat and mpg has gone from 36mpg ave to 43mpg for the same journey. An improvement of almost 20%.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, fitted a new after market fuel pressure regulator (crosses fingers) the Honda FPR's are £100+ a pop paid £15 for mine, put some Red X in the tank to hopefully clean out the carbon residue.

But it's not stopped f**kin raining and blowing a gale, so not been out yet the next few days are looking better.

@Vic101 is your bike getting to temperature? 

You usually find on injected bikes they have two fuel maps 

One for when the engine is cold and one for when its at operating temp 

they switch over automatically 

One major issue that suzuki did with their first injected bike (tl1000s) was to put the coolant temp sensor in the radiator which made the bike think it was always cold despite that thermostat doing its job and keeping the coolant at 84 degrees or above although this was still a little too cold too and an 87 degree stat from a nissan micra was classed as an upgrade as well as a later thermostat housing which relocated the temp sensor to the correct place reading the correct temp 

If your bikes not getting to the correct temp it will constantly be running a cold map and over fuelling this can also lead to fuel running down the cylinder walls and would also raise your oil level too this is called cylinder wash and can lead to damage to the liners rings and piston 

Did the issue only start as the temperature dropped? 

40 minutes ago, Stu said:

@Vic101 is your bike getting to temperature? 

You usually find on injected bikes they have two fuel maps 

One for when the engine is cold and one for when its at operating temp 

they switch over automatically 

One major issue that suzuki did with their first injected bike (tl1000s) was to put the coolant temp sensor in the radiator which made the bike think it was always cold despite that thermostat doing its job and keeping the coolant at 84 degrees or above although this was still a little too cold too and an 87 degree stat from a nissan micra was classed as an upgrade as well as a later thermostat housing which relocated the temp sensor to the correct place reading the correct temp 

If your bikes not getting to the correct temp it will constantly be running a cold map and over fuelling this can also lead to fuel running down the cylinder walls and would also raise your oil level too this is called cylinder wash and can lead to damage to the liners rings and piston 

Did the issue only start as the temperature dropped? 

I'm not sure at the moment not had the opportunity to test these things, I will though look at the oil level and have a good look at whether or not it has a dual fuel map. I need to give it a run out, and clean the carbon residue from the end of the exhaust. That should give me a clue if its a fix.

• 4 weeks later...

Went for a bit of a test run today, the sun was out and dry roads for a change but still ended with the dreaded white finger 🥶, filled up did about 25miles.

looks like everything is doing what it's supposed to and the petrol gauge was still on full when I got back, happy days.

Just a pic for your viewing pleasure, mine really

IMG_7398.JPG