Highway Code and related literature

25 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

Incidentally, I also have a copy of A Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code which, though track biased, provides some useful information about how a motorbike responds to inputs from the rider. I last read that a few years ago, too. 

Have you seen the video of ATOTW 2? It's a cringe fest but contains a lot of useful info. Must admit I've never taken any formal training, I used to hang out with some IAM guys and learnt a lot from them but that was many years ago. We used to do Sunday breakfast runs to the coast when they weren't observing. They never pressured me to do the training but did suggest it from time to time.  One of them gave me a copy of roadcraft which I've still got. Highway code I haven't looked at since I took my bike test in the 90s. The shame of it 🤣

Edited by rob m

2 hours ago, rob m said:

Have you seen the video of ATOTW 2? It's a cringe fest but contains a lot of useful info. Must admit I've never taken any formal training, I used to hang out with some IAM guys and learnt a lot from them but that was many years ago. We used to do Sunday breakfast runs to the coast when they weren't observing. They never pressured me to do the training but did suggest it from time to time.  One of them gave me a copy of roadcraft which I've still got. Highway code I haven't looked at since I took my bike test in the 90s. The shame of it 🤣

Yes,, I have seen the video… nuff said. 🤔

On 09/02/2024 at 12:20, Steve_M said:

For those who are IAM / RoSPA, same question but for Roadcraft - the motorcyclists edition.

Can't speak for RoSPA, but the IAM issue with their own handbook which has enough information to get your through their test. That doesn't mean the Police Roadcraft manual is superfluous, far from it, but all of it isn't necessary to pass the IAM test.

To answer the  main question. I passed my motorcycle test in 1979, my car test a couple of years later and that was the last time I looked at a copy of the Highway Code before I did my IAM course three years ago, and in truth then only skimmed through it and read the headline changes!

Edited by Capt Sisko

7 hours ago, Capt Sisko said:

Can't speak for RoSPA, but the IAM issue with their own handbook which has enough information to get your through their test. That doesn't mean the Police Roadcraft manual is superfluous, far from it, but all of it isn't necessary to pass the IAM test.

To answer the  main question. I passed my motorcycle test in 1979, my car test a couple of years later and that was the last time I looked at a copy of the Highway Code before I did my IAM course three years ago, and in truth then only skimmed through it and read the headline changes!

I’d forgotten the IAM publication. It wasn’t around when I took my IAM test.