Highway Code and related literature

A question, probably not for the recently qualified.

When did you last read / refer to the Highway Code for information / guidance respectively? 

For those who are IAM / RoSPA, same question but for Roadcraft - the motorcyclists edition.

Supplementary question. Was it the current edition?

I’m currently refreshing my knowledge of each of the above (yes, yes, I’m a fully paid up member of the Dull Men’s club) and realised it’s been around 6 years since I last referred to either and I’m wondering how much I can recall. 

Last time I actually looked through it was probably 2009 when I did my test, but I do look up the rules if I hear something has changed. 

Going off topic already, but I do find the rule change on pedestrians right of way who are crossing at a junction a strange move. I get the idea behind it, but if anything it just encourages pedestrians to step out into the road just because they have right of way. I actually had this very thing happen to me about 45 minutes ago, where some chap just walked straight out without looking. Luckily I was going to let him cross anyway, but not everyone would, especially when the highway code states that drivers "should" give way to pedestrians, meaning this is more of a courtesy than a law. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mealexme said:

Last time I actually looked through it was probably 2009 when I did my test, but I do look up the rules if I hear something has changed. 

Going off topic already, but I do find the rule change on pedestrians right of way who are crossing at a junction a strange move. I get the idea behind it, but if anything it just encourages pedestrians to step out into the road just because they have right of way. I actually had this very thing happen to me about 45 minutes ago, where some chap just walked straight out without looking. Luckily I was going to let him cross anyway, but not everyone would, especially when the highway code states that drivers "should" give way to pedestrians, meaning this is more of a courtesy than a law. 

Hi   The legislation has not changed just the interpretation . But to my mind they should have put in a H0 before the H1-3 that states You are always responsible for your own safety.

43 minutes ago, mealexme said:

actually had this very thing happen to me about 45 minutes ago, where some chap just walked straight out without looking

It amazes me how many people I see that don't look both ways before stepping out onto a road. Not even a quick glance just carry on as if they are invulnerable to anything on the road

52 minutes ago, exportmanuk said:

Hi   The legislation has not changed just the interpretation . But to my mind they should have put in a H0 before the H1-3 that states You are always responsible for your own safety.

It could have been separated out to make it more explicit, though it is covered in H1.

IMG_0512.jpeg

1 hour ago, mealexme said:

Not off topic… it highlights how people may have heard of the rule but not fully understood it and how it affects them and others. 

Perhaps (and this, I suspect is a forlorn hope) if it was made part of a periodic test then people might actually read the darn thing. 

Dabbled into Roadcraft about 2 and half years ago. Not the latest edition. To be honest, It's hasn't got a great plot, and it isn't great as a reference book either. Would rather take on War and Peace.

Looked up the lasted changes on the Highway code whenever they last changed - a couple of years ago?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bonio said:

Dabbled into Roadcraft about 2 and half years ago. Not the latest edition. To be honest, It's hasn't got a great plot, and it isn't great as a reference book either. Would rather take on War and Peace.

Looked up the lasted changes on the Highway code whenever they last changed - a couple of years ago?

My first contact with Roadcraft as 1992. I had more fun reading a COBOL manual. The later editions are much easier to work with - not a fun read, mind. 

4 hours ago, fullscreenaging said:

You can get the most up to date version from here and it’s free. 

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code

This is where I go when looking up on changes etc.

Unfortunately, for motorists, there are sections in the Highway Code for pedestrians and cyclists and I suspect very few, if any, pedestrians read them and probably few cyclists.

these 2 groups hear on the news that they “have priority “ and so assume everyone else is going to give way to them regardless.

oopps sorry this should probably have gone in the rant section. 🤣

• Like 3

Maybe an opportunity for an app.

Learn how to drive instead of wasting time killing all sorts of things. :thumb:

13 minutes ago, husoi said:

Maybe an opportunity for an app.

Learn how to drive instead of wasting time killing all sorts of things. :thumb:

Is that aimed at anyone in particular, or just the general driving/pedestrian public who spend so much time looking at their phones?

As it happens, I just used that link that Fullcreenaging put up, downloaded the Highway Code app.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simon Davey said:

Is that aimed at anyone in particular, or just the general driving/pedestrian public who spend so much time looking at their phones?

As it happens, I just used that link that Fullcreenaging put up, downloaded the Highway Code app.

I never make personal comments unless I'm quoting the person in question 🙂

Was actually a general comment aimed at people who spend hours in murderer and genocide games where they don't learn anything else other than how to be violent.

I believe that a game/app where users would actually learn something would be more useful. 🙂

• Like 2

By the way.

It's a good thing to be able to download the highway code.

My comment is that an interactive app where you could actually apply what you're learning would be more captive and interesting than just a long text.

Can't see a teenager reading it all the way through.

I wouldn't....

5 minutes ago, husoi said:

By the way.

It's a good thing to be able to download the highway code.

My comment is that an interactive app where you could actually apply what you're learning would be more captive and interesting than just a long text.

Can't see a teenager reading it all the way through.

I wouldn't....

It's a little interactive, I've just done the first quiz, managed 17/20, and I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of questions.

Being tested is great to see how much I don't know, such as which length of overhang is acceptable before I have display overhang signs on my lorry. I got this wrong....

14 minutes ago, husoi said:

I never make personal comments unless I'm quoting the person in question 🙂

Was actually a general comment aimed at people who spend hours in murderer and genocide games where they don't learn anything else other than how to be violent.

I believe that a game/app where users would actually learn something would be more useful. 🙂

Phew 🤣

Although, not looking at the highway code for 40 years is pretty shameful...

Edited by Simon Davey
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Simon Davey said:

It's a little interactive, I've just done the first quiz, managed 17/20, and I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of questions.

Being tested is great to see how much I don't know, such as which length of overhang is acceptable before I have display overhang signs on my lorry. I got this wrong....

I always go anything over a metre but it's been a while..

1 hour ago, Nick the wanderer said:

I always go anything over a metre but it's been a while..

Yes, options were something like 1.3 metres, or 2.2.

It was the longer option, which surprised me. 

Incidentally, I also have a copy of A Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code which, though track biased, provides some useful information about how a motorbike responds to inputs from the rider. I last read that a few years ago, too. 

2 hours ago, Simon Davey said:

Yes, options were something like 1.3 metres, or 2.2.

It was the longer option, which surprised me. 

That came up in a “Highway code / Roadcraft” quiz session that I took part in as member of an IAM group (car section vs bike section) way back in the 1990’s and, I seem to recall, the answer being 1.5m at that time. Which is either an indication that my memory is poor - probably true - or the figure has changed. 

Edited by Steve_M

3 minutes ago, Steve_M said:

That came up in a “Highway code / Roadcraft” quiz session that I took part in as member of an IAM group (car section vs bike section) way back in the 1990’s and, I seem to recall, the answer being 1.5m at that time. Which is either an indication that my memory is poor - probably true - or the figure has changed. 

I had to check myself then...  https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/vehicle-markings  under the Projections Markers sub heading

End marker

Both required when load or equipment (eg crane jib) overhangs front or rear by more than two metres

• Like 1