ZZR1200 Rough at 2-3000 RPM, possible diagnosis.

Simon Davey

48 minutes ago, rob m said:

Just go with your mechanics advice and see how you feel when you take the bike out for a ride. You'll know if they work for you. If not, change them. Simple mate. 

For the record, I have Bridgestone T32s on my K1300S and they're superb. Rippled off the edge and I ride them hard. I've also ridden on Michelin, Avon, Pirelli, Continental and Metz over the years, I'd say probably overall say Michelin Pilot Road's are the best all rounder. Ridden in Europe on tours with them, they're amazing in the wet. I'll probably opt for PR6s on my next tyre change considering I'm off to Spain and France late May. 

Best tyres for handling I found were Pirelli Diablos on my Fireblade.  OMG they were amazing. So confident inspiring I thought I was Rossi. 

Cheers Rob, I trust the mechanic, he has been for 30 odd years.

I will also discuss the the different tyre choices as above. 

I always fancied a Fireblade, I was in my early 20's and remember the first one, it was the power to weight ratio that no other manufacturer had achieved at the time, phenomenal.

• Like 1

MjTF6jn.jpg

5d2zV4f.jpg

This was my first one, a RRN model, picture taken 1998 ish. It was grey import (US), hence the different colour scheme. Did over 20k miles on that bike, it was my daily transport when I was at Uni. It was so light, easy to ride and bloody quick when you wanted it to be. I later had a 929 which was equally as good. My best mate still has his RRV which he bought a week after riding my RRN. I'd love a later one but my knees and wrists wouldn't thank me for it.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, rob m said:

MjTF6jn.jpg

5d2zV4f.jpg

This was my first one, a RRN model, picture taken 1998 ish. It was grey import (US), hence the different colour scheme. Did over 20k miles on that bike, it was my daily transport when I was at Uni. It was so light, easy to ride and bloody quick when you wanted it to be. I later had a 929 which was equally as good. My best mate still has his RRV which he bought a week after riding my RRN. I'd love a later one but my knees and wrists wouldn't thank me for it.

That's a great looking machine, I love the classic rounded look, which is probably why I have the ZZR in the shed. 

You've got me reminiscing about my 1999 ZX6r, that could be slapped about, and in and out of anywhere. I used it to commute from north London to the city, I did so many unintentional wheelies getting away from the traffic lights, I must have looked like a right tosser. Until a minicab decided otherwise. 

Edited by Simon Davey
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So, collected her from the menders today. 

Carb's stripped, cleaned and balanced, a couple of hoses/connectors put back where they should be and two new Bridgestone T31 tyres fitted. She's had new spark plugs, HT lead caps have had the corrosion cleaned from them, and the leads had the ends trimmed to give a nice new connection. 

It seems it's just not meant to pootle along at 2500 RPM, I need to keep it above 3k in a lower gear, which, I'm just not keen on doing because of the exhaust noise, I'm also pretty sure that it should be able to do that. 

Here's the positive, he said to me that the tyres needed scrubbing in, but don't think about it, so I didn't. Feckin' Nora, it was only a few miles and I actually completely forgot about the tyres, it was so natural through the bends that I didn't actually have to think about that aspect of riding. I just rode the bike and really enjoyed it. 

Next positive. 

Jeeeezus, with my new found confidence in the tyres, I found myself putting a bit of pace on, dropped a gear and twisted that throttle, and f*** me backwards, it was so crisp and responsive that I nearly lost bladder control as we ripped past 4 cars on a nice straight country road (nationals). 

2 hours later and I'm still buzzing. 

Can't wait to get out again. 

• Like 5