Just Great. Feckn Weather.

Tinkicker

We got 10 windows and 2 doors getting fitted today.  When we ordered them and they measured up, they said they had to give us two weeks cooling off period by law and had to hold off manufacture and fitting for a fortnight.  We said we don't need a coolling off period, we need new windows.  But the law is the law.

Then after the coolling off period, we schedule a day for fitting..

Had warm spells and dry spells in the intervening time and the great day dawns.

Look at the weather forecast....

4 *C, heavy rain and winds gusting to 30mph.

Just feckn great.  Not sure if they will turn up and not sure if I want them to.

• Sad 1

Now imagine you were in Scotland.

subzero with frost all around you. Rain forecast for today (as every day) and 30mph is a breeze around here...

They arrived at 7:45.  Its now 13:45 and 9 windows and 1 door is in.  Need living room front window doing and they are halfway through fitting the back door.

Those boys don't hang about, they have worked their asses off.

They really got a move on.  I was surprised that they screwed the frames in, I thought the modern way was to glue them in with filler foam and mastic.  Much drilling going on.  Doing a great job.  I will send them on their way with a case of beer when they are finished.

Only slight disappointment was they fitted three star locks with keys inside and out.  I need to order and fit ones with thumbturns like we had before, far better.

No chance of locking someone out by leaving the key in the lock and also safer in an emergency situation.  No groping for keys in a dark and smoke filled room.

Our fault, we should have specified them, but forgot.

• Like 1

A long time ago in what seems like another lifetime I worked in the building trade. I did a bit of window fitting, you can get them in and out a lot quicker than you imagine. As long as they (replacements) have been measured properly in the first place. The real trick is to get them in and out causing minimum damage to the plaster on the inside, you could spend longer doing remedial work than fitting the windows. Depending on how that went, you now have a whole house to decorate. On the plus side it'll be warmer.