Glar from dashboard - help

daveinlim

Due to expanding family I've had to buy a bigger car. All is well but when the sun shines on the dash it creates a glare / reflection in the windscreen. 

I've had a quick look online and there are mats that can go on the dash to stop the glare. But I don't want to use these are they look terrible.

Are there any other options like sprays etc that might help? 

things that reduce glare are:

black colours.

Dull coating/surfaces. sprays can work but two things to note 1) they generally only do a minor difference at best unless your going industrial then 2) be very careful what you use as these can attack the pvc/fabric and glue on the dash.

rough uneven surfaces like woven fabric's and rough grains like suedes or neoprene.

moving the offending reflection material to a different angle. very difficult to do in todays cars as they have a massive plank of surface area and the glass angle quite low to the dash for many other reasons.

• Thanks 1

I've only had this problem once, and it was after using a gloss type of dashboard cleaner.

Try cleaning it with a non-glossy product to remove anything that's on there already.

If it's a smooth material, then you can get it wrapped in a matt wrap (I'd get it done professionally, but you can DIY)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mealexme said:

I've only had this problem once, and it was after using a gloss type of dashboard cleaner.

Try cleaning it with a non-glossy product to remove anything that's on there already.

If it's a smooth material, then you can get it wrapped in a matt wrap (I'd get it done professionally, but you can DIY)

I've just collected the car and it was valeted before collection so maybe it'll get better. Wrap might be an idea though. 

just be careful what you plan to stick on and may regret afterwards. modern dashes are foam or laminate pvc with water based coatings, quite durable with damp cloths for cleaning but permeable to other forms.

One of my pets hates is not just too bright a dashboard, but the plethora of other illuminate buttons and now these ever bigger infotainment screens. Going back I had Land Rovers & Jeeps that you could turn the lot (not that they had much), but you could turn them off. It made a tremendous difference when driving in the proper dark (as opposed to street light dark).

• Like 3

Much as I wish, but I learned to drive at about 14, driving my dads Land Rovers off road, at night, with the headlights off, whilst a friend spotted Deer & Foxes with a red lamp and my father shot them with a rifle. 

Edited by Capt Sisko
  • Like 1

The shine seems to have settled a bit now. Bought it from a dealer so they must have used some polish on the dash. Now that a few weeks have passed that polish has gone and the glass doesn't really reflect the interior any more. 

• Like 2