High Visibility Gear

Guest jimshoe

I'm curious . . .

Being more interested in staying alive than looking cool I always wear a high viz jacket over my regular bike gear.

But I am clearly in a minority - I reckon only about 10% of the bikers I see are also making an effort to be seen with a bright jacket or reflective belt or similar.

Given that one of the main hazards in riding is not being seen by drivers I can't understand this.

Even more strange is that so many bikers I meet like to think of themselves (mostly secretly) as bit of a rebel or maverick yet all religiously wear virtually the same style of clothing according to what they ride. To ruin this effect with a fluorescent jacket seems a big no no.

Me, I could not give a toss what anyone thinks I look like - I'll be enjoying the ride and wearing all the 'glow in the dark' gear I can to ensure I do so for as long as possible.

So, what are your thoughts on Hi-Viz gear, either way?

Is there a case against Hi-Viz?

Personally I am all for it.

Unfortunately for me, I am one of the people you talk about.... I want to look good. :roll:

I will say though that I always have a high vis coat stuck under my seat and in poor weather conditions and darkness it is worn....

Personally I am all for it.

Unfortunately for me, I am one of the people you talk about.... I want to look good. :roll:

I will say though that I always have a high vis coat stuck under my seat and in poor weather conditions and darkness it is worn....

Well, I admire your honesty! :lol:

Everyone being different - I think the high viz riders actually look good! :?

:D

I'm not keen on the look of a high viz jacket etc.. so instead I ride with my headlight on, and I've also got red and white leathers and a bike to match, so hopefully stand out a lot more than a rider all in black

I keep meaning to pick up a reflective strap thing that goes diagonally and then around the waist..

Half the problem is that when i'm riding i'm carrying my frickin laptop in it'd bag so would cloak the jacket from behind anyway :roll:

I keep meaning to pick up a reflective strap thing that goes diagonally and then around the waist..

Half the problem is that when i'm riding i'm carrying my frickin laptop in it'd bag so would cloak the jacket from behind anyway :roll:

Get a day-glo rucksack

I wear high viz over my regular jacket, but ALL my gear and bike are black :shock: , I admit it looks better without the viz but I prefer being alive and looking a bit naf than not being seen by some muppet car driver :(

You mean like http://www.beseenonabike.com/shopuk/product_info.php?products_id=45?

The rucksack cover is probably a better idea though.

I used to wear Hi Viz but since my gear now has reflective stuff I don't bother anymore.... I ain't too bothered what I look like (see my pics :P ) so if it is sensible i use it. Like Korben I carry one in the bike anyway. I did find the damn things annoying when they flap about though....

I use HV when riding at night.

I would be interested to read any statistics/facts to say that HV wearers are involved in less accidents than non-HV wearers (in the daytime), anyone got any links?

I also have here two HV Backpack/Rucksacks that I don't use if you want one PM me your address and I will send them on.

I would be interested to read any statistics/facts to say that HV wearers are involved in less accidents than non-HV wearers (in the daytime), anyone got any links?

No links mate, but I have been reliably informed that, that is the case.....

I use HV when riding at night.

I also have here two HV Backpack/Rucksacks that I don't use if you want one PM me your address and I will send them on.

That would indeed make interesting reading. Personally it seems like a no brainer though.

Guest philgale
Given that one of the main hazards in riding is not being seen by drivers I can't understand this.

i disagree......its not the fact people dont see bikers the problem is people dont look....

for that very reason i dont see the point wearing hi-viz, if people dont look doesnt matter what you wear they wont see you

i disagree......its not the fact people dont see bikers the problem is people dont look....

for that very reason i dont see the point wearing hi-viz, if people dont look doesnt matter what you wear they wont see you

I agree with that.

As I have said before, I have heard of insurance companies reducing compensation payouts to motorcycylists who have not taken every possible step to enhance their own safety, and HiViz gear falls into such a category.

Ive been out on runs when markers have worn hi vis and the rest of us didnt.. looking forward when we spread out on m/ways, you really couldnt see the non hi vis wearing riders.. they just blended in. We all like to think we can be seen cos of our headlights & bright colours, but our rear footprint appears quite small really.

On country roads in the gloom or dark I've barely made out Ians Gsxf rear light and I was looking for it (he added a top box with lights and that made a huge difference, but not everyone wants to or can). He has a bright yellow bike and matching gear but at night all he was showing was a couple of dim red bulbs. In some daylight conditions he blended in too. When he's been in the car and Ive forgotten to switch headlights on when following him, hes struggled to track me in his mirrors - and again he was looking for me.

But as for studies??? That got me thinking so I had a quick scan and found ... http://londonbikers.com/articles/6377/w ... i-viz-gear

(review of wearing hi vis)

And this...

http://www.motorcyclesafetyinfo.com/mot ... _gear.html

bit dated, info gathered in 1986, but does say:

Fluorescent clothing may reduce motorcycle injuries and death. British researchers who analyzed 463 motorcycle drivers admitted to hospital following a road traffic incident and 1233 other drivers (control group) to evaluate how wearing conspicuous attire affected the risk of having an accident. They found that with reflective or fluorescent clothing the risk of a crash injury was reduced by 37%, with a white helmet by 24%, and with headlights by 27%.

And a few refs to this 30% (50% at night) of drivers involved in accidents with motorcycles claim they didn't see the bike. which came up a few times on searches, but couldnt find a reference for it. Has anyone seen that anywhere?

And to counteract all of that, we have this http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/re ... cleacc.pdf

commissioned by the Dft, which says "Sometimes, accident-involved drivers in motorcycle accidents fail to see riders even when they are verifiably using visibility aids, such as daytime running lights and high-visibility protective clothing" so yes, wearing it doesnt mean they will look.

i have found that when wearing hi vis -esp at night / on m/ways etc theres another downside as cars actually slow down in front of you thinking youre the police :roll:

So is it common sense to wear it? Or is there more street cred in not?

This is why I don't like statistics. they have there place but arrrggghhhh!!!

For example, I quote:

They found that with reflective or fluorescent clothing the risk of a crash injury was reduced by 37%, with a white helmet by 24%, and with headlights by 27%.

Does this mean I am 89% less likely to have an accident? I think not. I know I am being pedantic but you know people will use stats to their advantage. I really would like to know what the accident rate would be if every car driver held a bike licence. Or what % of bike accidents are involving the bike only.

i gnerally not wear one unless it becomes bad visiibilty or a very busy road ( m25) in bad conditions .Last night saw no less than 8 accidents on my jopurney from jctn 28 to junction 15 with various tailbacks etc so filtering in the dusk/dark conditions i pulled over and donned the hig vis

i use a long sleeved one and use a sfaety pin to keep it fastened on front

Local army surplus store has got some ex police riders jackets in so am tempted with those as they even still have the blue flash in the rear in place ( with the words removed and a good lining and waterproof as well so i think for £15 i will get one...

I wear high viz over my regular jacket, but ALL my gear and bike are black :shock: , I admit it looks better without the viz but I prefer being alive and looking a bit naf than not being seen by some muppet car driver :(

Exactly my situation. I will be wearing my reflective jacket on the pudsey run once it gets dark. Black leathers, black bike, black helmet. Not good to be seen during Black night. :)

This is why I don't like statistics. they have there place but arrrggghhhh!!!

For example, I quote:

They found that with reflective or fluorescent clothing the risk of a crash injury was reduced by 37%, with a white helmet by 24%, and with headlights by 27%.

Does this mean I am 89% less likely to have an accident? I think not. I know I am being pedantic but you know people will use stats to their advantage. I really would like to know what the accident rate would be if every car driver held a bike licence. Or what % of bike accidents are involving the bike only.

Did you know that 87.3% of all statistics are made up on the spot (and this was one of them!).

:beer2:

Ive been out on runs when markers have worn hi vis and the rest of us didnt.. looking forward when we spread out on m/ways, you really couldnt see the non hi vis wearing riders.. they just blended in. We all like to think we can be seen cos of our headlights & bright colours, but our rear footprint appears quite small really.

Exactly. I wear hi-viz as when I look at other bikers it's scary how they blend into the background. Yes, we can moan that car drivers are not observant but the reality is to survive we have to make it as easy for them to see us - not doing so seems to be asking for trouble.