how big is the U turn in your test

Well i dont need a tape measure to know that 7.5 metres is wider than 2 car parking spaces and I can do it easily in 2 and a half spaces and like I said I did 6 out of 7 without a problem on real roads so I dont think I can be doing that bad :) lol and like I said, its going to be ages until my test so I've got a lot of time left to practice.

Good stuff Chris, keep at it and you'll become more and more confident and consistent.

Heres the thread I was on about before that I had saved. I read it over and over and just took the advice with me to my lessons and test, worked a treat. I'm not sure who it was written by but thanks none the less.

Some advice I was given on the U turn:

The U-turn as mention is to test your slow speed control / balance and putting your foot down is instant fail... its not too hard to do though once your slow speed control is sorted out.

Tricks are to:

- Keep throttle and clutch slip constant

- Use rear brake to control speed

- Grip the tank with your knees and relax grip on the bars

- Countersteer to turn into direction you want to go

- Look up the road NOT at the kerb

and:

Its actually dead easy to practice in a straight line.

Just practice riding as close to zero miles an hour as you can in a straight line using a combination of the clutch and rear brake to keep the bike stable, only moving forwards to keep the bike from falling over. Keep dabbing the brake to stop you and the clutch out to get you moving again.

Trial riders can move at around 1 foot per hour doing this.

Once you've got that, doing the same in a circle is pretty easy. Once you have the confidence of that level of bike control, a u-turn on any surface is straightforward.

My instructor also taught me to lean slightly over to the left of the centre of the bike to shift a bit more weight - but the best thing he taught me was to just keep the power on constant and look up the road - waaaaay up the road. If you don't think you're going to make it and look at the kerb, chances are you'll end up in the kerb - and don't cut the power!

Forgot all about this but it was suggested to me on the test to turn very slighty when pulling away towards the curb before performing the U turn. Don't know if this is some form of counter steering but made it easier to get round.

I had a 2 hour lesson today and the instructor took me to one of the streets that they often use for the U turn on tests and it was huge compared to the ones I had been practicing on! Did it twice easily so im not that nervous about it in the test now :D

I had a 2 hour lesson today and the instructor took me to one of the streets that they often use for the U turn on tests and it was huge compared to the ones I had been practicing on! Did it twice easily so im not that nervous about it in the test now :D

First thing I said to my instructor after passing.... The roads you made me practise my U-Turns on were way smaller than the one he used....

Big Grin on his face with a reply of... Yeah, I know!!!