SatNavs..

Guest lukefiori

Hi guys, due to me ALWAYS getting lost -

I am thinking of getting a satnav when (if) I get my insurance pay out.

Can I get a good (hopefully cheap) satnav that will work for bikes and cars??

Is there a difference? Surely on a bike all you need is directions in your ear?

Thanks

I have an old nokia n73 phone that I use for satnav. I bought a 28 quid gps bluetooth thingymebob and installed tomtom onto the phone. This now sits in my topbox and Jane speaks elegantly through the Autocom I have BUT she also spoke through headphones or the £7.99 intercom I bought from Lidl not long back. I'm sure I also got her speaking through the £30 maplin motorbike helmet thingy they did too but that needed an adapter to work. But anyway, if you have an old phone lying around check to see if it's possible to install tom tom on it and you're pretty much there then for a fraction of the cost of a legitimate TomTom or Garmin.

Depends on your budget? You can pick a garmin quest for around £100 on eBay at the moment and you can get a mounting kit which you can hard wire to the bike and through an autocom or something similar you can get the directions spoke into your headset.

I just got a Garmin Nuvi 250 off ebay for £70 - it's not a specific bike one so not waterproof but it's fine for sunny day ride outs. Battery life is quoted 5hrs so I don't even bother with a power lead. I made a DIY cradle with foam to protect it and make it more secure than the car mount, no probs.

I've always used the same sat nav that I use in my car. It's a Navman S30, I think you can get them for about £70 or less now. They're pretty thin actually and mine fits into the map pocket on my tank bag really well. I bought a 12V socket off ebay that I connected straight to my battery and I just plug the sat nav power lead into that for juice on the long journeys. It's also got a standard 3.5mm socket so you can use pretty much any headphones in there - I use Sony Ericsson in-ear buds that are really comfy and I can hear Mavis' directions as clear as day at ANY speed ;) (I've got a Caberg Justissimo helmet by the way so wind noise can be bad at high speeds but the in-ear buds act like ear plugs too).

I rode around London last weekend and it didn't miss a beat and for when I did need to briefly look down for directions I had them displayed in a list so it's easy to pick up on the next few upcoming ones.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/146672

Bought this one for under 45 quid (gone up to 49.98 now) and loaded TomTom 7 onto it from the site mentioned in the reviews section and can't fault it one bit! I dare say the bike dedicated satnav's are better but I couldn't justify the extra 300 quid for something I would rarely use. This one has an earphone socket and I've found so far that clear voice instructions are all thats really needed. I got a free download of 30 voices for it too............... Ozzy Osborne ummm gives quite 'interesting' directions :lol: :lol: :lol:

i have a tom tom rider . with blue tooth into helmet its boss . tho i havent sussed out yet how to tell it to aviod motorways . :lol:

ummm, you sure??? when you set a route you can choose any options, such as avoiding motorways, shortest/fastest route etc, or alternatively set it in the planning preferences in preferences.

i have a tom tom rider . with blue tooth into helmet its boss . tho i havent sussed out yet how to tell it to aviod motorways . :lol:

ummm, you sure??? when you set a route you can choose any options, such as avoiding motorways, shortest/fastest route etc, or alternatively set it in the planning preferences in preferences.

Mally has a Harley and a Busa so his sat nav just has

"Strightest" or "fastest" route on it

Mally has a Harley and a Busa so his sat nav just has

"Strightest" or "fastest" route on it

ah, i'll go boil my head due to my stupidity gene overworking :oops:

here's a snippet if you don't want to pay out for a bike specific satnav

Givi have just brought out a universal satnav holder, it's the S850........it's totally waterproof and fits via velcro straps to your handlebars..................it costs around £52 but means you can buy a cheaper satnav and use it all weathers

it is a sod to get hold of at the moment cos it's very popular so you may need to go to your givi dealer and ask them to order it

• 3 weeks later...
here's a snippet if you don't want to pay out for a bike specific satnav

Givi have just brought out a universal satnav holder, it's the S850........it's totally waterproof and fits via velcro straps to your handlebars..................it costs around £52 but means you can buy a cheaper satnav and use it all weathers

it is a sod to get hold of at the moment cos it's very popular so you may need to go to your givi dealer and ask them to order it

thanks for the tip, I was contemplating spending £300 on a bike specific one but as I've already got a GPS for my car I think I'll just get one of these bags and stick it in there :)

For anyone wondering how they attach to your bike etc, here's a pic I found:

http://photos.imageevent.com/motorbiker/newspics3/Givi-S850.jpg