Booked Module 1 Test...

Well that's it, I've booked the first module of the new test, the off-road part, for 6th of May.

I've got an hours practice tomorrow to try to learn the format of the test then maybe a couple more hours a bit closer to the date.

I'll be back on to let you know if it's any good.

Just finished my practice session, it's nothing too hard.

You will definately have to have slow riding cracked, you can't just cuff it like you could in the old test, eg; doing the u-turn or approaching junctions on tickover. The slalom, figure eight and the straight line slow ride MUST be done in slow ride.

The examiner will expect you to treat the test as if it's on a public road so you still need to do your observations.

The first exercise is the reverse push, it's fairly easy. You start with the bike facing into one box of cones, you push it backwards out of the box with the right lock on, left hand on the left grip, right hand on the rear left pillion rail. Keep pushing round, looking where you want to go. The aim is to stop in the adjacent box of cones with the bike facing the correct way. Think of it as a backwards u-turn. You are now in postion to start the slalom....

The slalom is easy enough, you just need to keep close to the cones or you'll find yourself steering too much.

The figure eight seems hard on the first go but you have all the space you need, so just take it wide.

The straight line slow ride is easy enough, the examiner will tell you to keep up with him as he walks along, don't overtake him or fall behind, just stay within a few feet of him.

U-turn is pretty much the same. It's between two painted lines which are a set distance in all tests, so no more u-turns between parked cars or on steep cambers :evil:.

The emergency stop is a little different. When I did the old test a few weeks ago I did it in second gear at 20mph, on the new one it's still second gear but it's a minimum speed of 31mph, so you really do need to get those brakes on.

There wasn't enough room to practise the avoidance but that's basically swerving to the right at 31mph.

According to the DVD I watched at the start they'll have speed detection equipment at the test centre to make sure you're reaching the minimum speeds. Not reaching the minimum speed doesn't result in a fail, you'll just do that element of the test again until you reach the required speed.

Sounds better than I had heard, but I am still glad I dont have to do it now I was dreading a third attempt cos it would have been the new one!!

Good luck for your test :D

• 2 weeks later...

Well, test later on.

I've had my confidence knocked today as I hoyed the bike on it's side practicing the figure eight, I've cracked it now but that was only after getting a bit of a warm up. I'd not been on the bike for a few weeks which didn't help. I'll not be getting a warm up tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.

I'll be back on to let you know how it goes.

Well, after yesterdays 'misdameanours' :lol: I managed to get a clean sheet today, I was on test for less than 8 minutes and reached both required speeds first time.

I got myself in such a flap about it right up until I took a look at the test area... It's massive!!

I did the worlds biggest figure eight, I'm not joking, I made it so big I was barely even slow riding, the u-turn area is a lot bigger than any road I'd practiced on and the space they give you to get your speed up for the avoidance and the emergency stop is more than enough... The minimum speed is 32mph (50kph) I did 53kph for the avoidance and 64kph!!! for the emergency stop.

Happy with that.

cool, glad to hear you passed that part :) so you booking your module 2 now then?

So in your opinion do you think the hazard avoidance bit is hard/dangerous at all? (after hearing all that stuff about people braking their arms on it lol)

cool, glad to hear you passed that part :) so you booking your module 2 now then?

I'll need some lessons first, I'm not familiar with the area that the new road tests are conducted, should be booked in the next couple of weeks.

So in your opinion do you think the hazard avoidance bit is hard/dangerous at all? (after hearing all that stuff about people braking their arms on it lol)

When I was practicing my instructor laid everything out a bit tighter than what it was on the test, so compared to what I was used to I found it quite easy. It was dry today so sliding around wasn't a problem, I wouldn't have been so confident if it had been raining, though saying that it's not so harsh of a swerve that you get a lean on or anything. It's more of a smooth movement, if you start throwing the bike around you probably will come off or you'll clip one of the blue cones.

I can't think of anything I've ever done on the road that would compare to it, if I think of anything I'll be back on.

Nice to hear you came through it ok, onward and upward.

If you fail part 2 do you have to do it all again?

i dont think so... on completion of module 1 you get a certificate, which lasts for however long you have left on your theory test.

Then you can do Module 2, they surely cnt rip up this certificate, and as you would have failed on something on module2 , it has nothin to do with the module 1 :)

my guess lol, its tired and im still talkin, shhh josh!

Josh

x

Nice to hear you came through it ok, onward and upward.

If you fail part 2 do you have to do it all again?

Cheers.

I don't think so either, I keep meaning to ask my instructor.

99% sure you only have to do module 2 again if you fail module 2

this is correct i just got off the phone to the dsa who confirmed it.and module one is valid for as long as you therory is valid.

• 2 weeks later...

nice to hear that youve passed once i finish college ill be booking my test im on a 125 constantly but that swerve on 500 cc bike gets my nervous...reading your post calmed me a bit good for you:) what bike are you getting?

nice to hear that youve passed once i finish college ill be booking my test im on a 125 constantly but that swerve on 500 cc bike gets my nervous...reading your post calmed me a bit good for you:) what bike are you getting?

You'll probably find it easier on a 500 as you need to be doing at least 32mph through the speed detection equipment, 32mph is a flick of the wrist on a 500 where as on a 125 you have to be giving it some before you even get round the top bend to get any where near 32mph.

I've bought a Kwak ER6n in 'candy burnt orange' I bought it about 10 weeks ago and it's still sitting in the shop!!! :oops: