Too soon for full test

Guest andy_mc

Hi all,

I've been riding about a month since taking my CBT. I've never ridden a bike before that apart from one day on holiday.

I'm riding a Honda cbr 125r about 150 miles per week and am thinking of booking my full test for about two months time at the start of July, is that too soon, and what training/test should I go for? I'm thinking of doing the 5 days including test course here: http://www.camrider.com/prices/cambridge.html

I'm currently finding riding okay and already have 6 years driving experience. I want to get my full test out the way soon because I want to do a week long tour of the UK on a bigger bike in September.

Doing that kind of weekly mileage, you're getting plenty of road practice in!

I would've thought a 5 day course is quite adequate. You could maybe go along and get them to assess your ability and advise you how much training they feel you'll need. If I remember your Newbie intro, you've got age on your side for doing a full & not restricted test :?

Might be worth thinking about sooner than later - you don't want to be slipping into bad habits! :lol:

I did my CBT on the 28th January and then rode constantly (about same mileage as you) and passed my test on the 22nd April, so if i managed it i reckon most can! Best thing to do is pop down to your local training school ans ask them to do an asessment ride with you (mine was luckily free, dont know if all are). From that they will tell you how many days training you need. With riding that much and having road experience i doubt you will need 5 days though mate. But then i suppose i havent seen you ride :roll:

Go for it mate... First time I rode bike was on the 16th June 2007 when I did my CBT.

On the 17th June I started 3 and a half days of DAS training, before passing my test.

You have plenty of experience!! :D :D

With the others, i think you will be fine... as korbs says, some people have no experience, do cbt, das and test in a week and pass.. for some thats ok, for others its better to do what you're doing first...

Good luck :thumb:

I just wanted to get some riding exprience in first, because in my CBT, I'd come up to a junction and then panic and try to rush everything, meaning I'd brake at the wrong times and accelarate too fast out the corner, I just need to relax about it and I find I do that better after having time to get used to something. This way I can practice all the moves I'll need for the test on my own, or with my brother (who's in the same position as me), and then go for the test full of confidence.