Smelly gloves!

I was wondering if anyone else suffers with this? The gloves got majorly soaked on Monday. They've never left my hands with a great smell even from new but now I have to take the gloves off and go wash my hands it's that bad.

Are there any cures for this problem? The gloves are kangaroo leather ones.

I get the same problem with mine, ijust spray them with fabreeze and put them on the radiator to dry them out properley., but i have cheap gloves, not swanky kangaroo leather ones. You might ruin them. What about spraying the inside with dettol or milton? (to kill the bacteria making the smell)

maybe wash them with baby shamppo and leave to dry naturally, it helps if you poke a tube into them to let the air circulate.. or febreeze.. DO NOT put on the radiator, you'll dry out the leather..

It is bacteria causing the smell so need to kill it... I suppose leaving them to dry, putting some anti-bacterial spray in them will help...

Leather can be ruined if it gets too wet... Hope that ain't the case.

After riding home from work last night, getting to my house then going straight past just because the sun was shining and I wanted to carry on riding (the misses wasn't impressed) I've now joined the ranks of the smelly gloves. Cheap leather gloves and hot sun = sweaty hands and smelly gloves. Fabreezed them last night which helped a bit but going to buy some better quality ones asap.

I've changed to Richa Magma summer gloves, which are vented, and so far my hands have not sweat at all.

http://www.helmetcity.co.uk/Richa-Magma-Glove-Black_350_19U3I.jpg

£35 from my local shop.

I used to use EquiGene Anti-bacterial leather cleaner in my boxing gloves. Equestrians (horse riders) use it to clean the bacteria from the leather before applying more wax. It cleans very well, and leaves the leather soft. I've not considered using it on motorcycle gloves, although I don't see why it would not work if they were leather, but I would not use it on the outsides just in case.

You can also get Tea Tree leather soap (again, checkout equestrian supplies) which is antibacterial.

Don't store your golves inside your lid.. smelly gloves = smelly lid...

If you do put them inside fasten the velcro or you'll have a furry lining..

• 2 weeks later...

Read in an article today about smelly gloves....

Allow them to dry out naturally. Once fully dry, seal them in a plastic bag and then stick in a freezer for 24 hours... Apparently that will kill the bacteria and problem solved...

Read in an article today about smelly gloves....

Allow them to dry out naturally. Once fully dry, seal them in a plastic bag and then stick in a freezer for 24 hours... Apparently that will kill the bacteria and problem solved...

Defrost thoroughly before use... :lol:

Made me giggle anyway lol

You can also get little fabreeze cloths that you can keep inside your gloves/helmet, almost like mini-towel air freshners. Ok, so it prob wont kill the bacteria but to prevent further pongs, it does the trick!

A charcoal briquette (as used on yer barbie) in each glove when dry should absorb any odours. Can be used in your sweaty boots and trainers also.

not used,

and dont use afterwards..

I was wondering if anyone else suffers with this? The gloves got majorly soaked on Monday. They've never left my hands with a great smell even from new but now I have to take the gloves off and go wash my hands it's that bad.

Are there any cures for this problem? The gloves are kangaroo leather ones.

Take them off when you go for a pee :wink:

Very good RT! I'll remember that one for future!

In the meantime though I bought some scholl foot odour spray stuff. Fired that as far up the glove as possible and seems to have done the trick to an extent (I can take the gloves off without getting K.O'd by the smell!). As a side effect, the glove also stays a lot drier when riding and the inside layer doesn't scrunch up when I take the glove off!