Using the brakes

Guest jonathanbull

Hi,

I've been reading conflicting advice on how to 'balance' the front and back brake. Some say you need to apply the front brake first and then the back, some say the opposite.

Anyone got any tips/advice on this? Say I was approaching a bend and needed to slow down; I realise that engine braking is preferable but if a brake is needed am I right to just say a 'dab' on the front is needed?

Searched the forum and couldn't find anything! :)

i've now here idea how i do it myself!

as long as nothing locks, and i actually slow down, i'm satisfied with my braking. :)

i think i mostly rely on the front break to reduce speed a little (my bike has no engine breaking at all!), leave the back break for slow speed stuff.

:lol: most of your braking should be done with the front.

don't dab! squeeze gently, then harder once brakes are on then gently ease off just before you stop.

ideally you should be able to adjust your speed for corners, on the open road, without braking at all!, slow in fast out and all that :lol:

I do use my back brake but mainly for balance or control.

A surprising amount of people say they don't use their back brake at all. There are times when one or the other or both are more suited. Some examples of when to use the brakes with a bias on the front would be:

- when slowing for a roundabout on a dual carriageway

- when approaching a bend on an A-road

- when performing an emergency stop in 'fair' conditions (i.e. not wet)

Examples of using the back brake alone:

- moving off on a hill start (like you suggested)

- when performing slow maneuvers (such as the U-turn)

- when on a gravelled area

Examples of when to use both equally:

- when performing an emergency stop in the wet

There are more for each 'category' but I've tried to give a general idea for each. In broad terms you wouldn't use the front brake heavily (or at all if possible) whilst leaning over through a bend, or whilst turning into a junction (the bike will slip if the wheel locks). The front brake is typically used only when the bike is upright and in a straight line. Likewise you wouldn't use the rear brake as the primary brake when travelling at speed and in a straight line or in a bend because the wheel is likely to lock and the bike slip (so if possible don't brake heavily/at all whilst in the bend. Like Rennie said it's best to go in slow and out fast, meaning you should set the speed for the bend before even getting to it, therefore eliminating the need to brake halfway through). You wouldn't use the front brake at slow speeds whilst maneuvering because the back is better (easier to operate and less likely to throw you off if it locks) or on gravel. Also you wouldn't use the back brake when going down a hill. This is because the weight is already forward and using the back brake would make it lock easily. However, engine braking is far better when going down a hill (regardless of the high revs that might come of it!).

I'm sure others will give some more examples, but you'll get into an automatic routine of when and how you use what brakes after getting some miles under your belt. As Josh said he doesn't even know what to tell you because he just does it without thinking!

I never even use the back brake!

Not even for a hill start?

Ok occasionally on a hill start if i have been sat there a while but not much!

But use front for everything so dont have to move my foot, you can feather the front while leant over as long as you dont grab a handfull and on gravel i go slow so engine does all the breaking had to do it at assen to leave the track but usually avoid gravel.

Cant remember really ever braking on a u turn

I never even use the back brake!

Not even for a hill start?

Ok occasionally on a hill start if i have been sat there a while but not much!

But use front for everything so dont have to move my foot, you can feather the front while leant over as long as you dont grab a handfull and on gravel i go slow so engine does all the breaking had to do it at assen to leave the track but usually avoid gravel.

Cant remember really ever braking on a u turn

All true. With V twins there's even more engine braking so a bonus for anyone that has one. Braking on the U-turn isn't so much to slow you down, it's used more to balance the bike and keep the speed constant and not jerky. They call it "dragging the back brake". I should have been a bit clearer on that one.

All true. With V twins there's even more engine braking so a bonus for anyone that has one.

and dont i know it :mrgreen:

i use my back brake more then the front :?

never used to touch the back but cant live without it now :?

only use the front for hard braking with a trailing back brake and engine braking too

Use the front only for normal riding, then once below around 15mph, use the rear only.

Emergency braking I use the front then shortly after the rear.

Corners I sometimes feather the rear brake.

Slow speed control, rear brake only.

mainly front but if i'm going into a corner and just want to steady the bike i lightly feather the rear brake.. nothing to harsh, i'd avoid the front as your angled in, too much and the wheel is lost and your on your behind.. but the gsx has a great gearbox so just roll on and off the throttle most times..

Trying to remember what they told me in my lessons. Think it was mainly front with a bit of back in normal conditions, but the opposite in the wet. Or could it be vise versa???? :shock: Or is Susie dreaming it all up! :? :lol:

Trying to remember what they told me in my lessons. Think it was mainly front with a bit of back in normal conditions, but the opposite in the wet. Or could it be vise versa???? :shock: Or is Susie dreaming it all up! :? :lol:

Half right! It's mainly front with a bit of back in normal conditions, but in the wet it's 50/50. But that's 'general braking', so for things like hill start and U-turn it's different.