Broadcasting Despair to the World - is it nerves?

I suppose I'm just airing my concerns publicly here but I was wondering whether anyone had similar experiences prior to their test.

I passed the CBT in July last year and began riding in September after purchasing a 125.

Most of my riding was of a recreational type with others but I did begin to bring the bike into work to challenge myself. Overall, I felt confident, competant and rarely, if ever, found myself in trouble.

Earlier this year, I passed the theory and hazard perception tests and then began entertaining the notion of taking the final practical test.

After a friend passed and told me about the test requirements, it was apparent that I would need an instructor for the finer points so I began a series of lessons.

My instructor is a top bloke and has an excellent first-time pass rate although he is ultra-critical - but that's what I'm paying for.

As he is such a perfectionist, when he announced that I was at test standard and should apply for a test date, I did so and the test is in September.

Since then, despite additional lessons, my standard of riding has deteriorated rapaidly to the point where I'm actually getting into situations not seen since I first got on a bike in the CBT car park.

Has anyone else experienced this and am I over-complicating at the expense of the basic stuff?

If anyone has, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Right, that's the first and last time I've ever broadcast my state-of-mind in a public arena.

If it gets any worse, there'll be a spotless VFR 750 appearing in the classifieds.

KB

You are not alone. I often find myself riding very badly and the best thing I can do is realise I'm having a bad one, chalk it up to experience and treat the next time as a fresh go at it. You're constantly learning and what you're going through now will make you a better rider, having to think in situations that you're not expecting will help you expect them next time, if you see what I mean.

If everyone had a good ride every time then a 'good ride' would become meaningless.

I just think with the test date approaching your thinking too much about it and instead of just riding its weighing on your mind just relax a little and just go with it and hopefully it will all come back and you will be fine.

Oh and every ride is a good ride after you pass!

Everyone has 'off' days keith, sometimes i just can't into to the groove of things.

Just keep riding, if you feel you're messing up etc. Just talk to yourself, as if you're an istructor. Tell yourself what you're going to do, keep planning ahead, note when you've gone wrong and focus on correcting it :thumb:

Can only base my advice on my own experience....I'm too embarrassed to share just how many times I failed my Mod 1.

In a similar way to you I found myself getting worse and worse, stupid stupid mistakes on stuff I was able to do easily and well at the beginning.

One good thing about it all was it forced me to slow down and analyse my temperament a bit.

Firstly I really, really wanted to do this - for all sorts of reasons.

I wanted to be on my bike before end of summer.

Yes....I had bought the bike.

.....So already putting myself under a load of pressure.

Secondly its made me realise how hard I am on myself, I dont allow myself to 'fail'.

Basically trying too hard, much too hard. Lost all the enjoyment & confidence I had experienced the first few times I rode the bike.

As soon as I got my head round why this was happening everything started to fall into place again.

Tips..... if you can, book a second (fallback) test far enough ahead to cancel if you pass first time - not so 'now or never' on the day.

Another thing to perhaps consider is your instructor. He may be very good and excellent for some folk but perhaps his 'hyper-critical' style is causing you to be tense and try too hard - this is meant to be an enjoyable activity after all??!

Finally...and as I've mentioned in another post, beta-blockers can do wonders to break the nerves, cock-up, nerves cycle :wink:

Good luck n all the best.

I had a bad day yesterday evening, sucked a bit, but today i went over the silly things i did, relaxed and had fun and today my riding is much better and had a lot of fun! I find being too strict on your self and not having fun just ruins riding.

• 2 weeks later...

It was really good to hear that other folk experienced similar problems.

I fell to pieces during a "mock" test on Saturday but I'm delighted that one hour ago. I passed and can now re-connect the VFR's battery.

Oh, and replace my XT's rear tyre as I've just ridden home with the front barely touching the ground.

Whoooohoooo!!!! Congratulaitons :thumb:

Not that ive ridden for a good while, but i remember that if i thought about it too much, i road shit... was better jsut getting on with it... am same in the car... well done though!