I am not thick but.....

Guest pioneer

This motorbike license business is bloody complicated! I want to do a direct access course. i am 37, passed car test in 1988. I will do CBT in 2 weeks as a start. I went onto DSA site to book a theory test, but it won't let me. Do I need a seperate provisional motorbike license? And this is just the start!!

Many thanks in advance,

Paul.

Hi Paul

It's a little complex for sure. You will need the following:

1. CBT - probably just 1 day on a small bike/scooter (I'd suggest a geared bike but the argument rages)

2. Theory test - now includes hazard perception for which I'd suggest getting a DVD (we may be able to help you there)

3. Mod 1 - You need both of the above first, along with your driving licence. This is the manoeuvres section which is done in a closed environment

4. Mod 2 - You will need all of the above, along with your driving licence. This is the road test which is basically the same as the car test. Additionally there are a couple of questions first and you are only allowed 10 minors not 15 as you are in a car

We can go into more detail, but that's the basics. I gave up on the DSA website and went down the route of getting my instructors to book everything for me. This way I have a bike and instructor also.

BTW: Your current licence should be fine for all these things, just don't forget both halves if you have a new style one. Also check that you have the the provisional entitlement as mentioned above.

This motorbike license business is bloody complicated! I want to do a direct access course. i am 37, passed car test in 1988. I will do CBT in 2 weeks as a start. I went onto DSA site to book a theory test, but it won't let me. Do I need a seperate provisional motorbike license? And this is just the start!!

Check the paper part of your licence, that's where provisional entitlement is included. If it doesn't include class A there then you'll need to apply to DVLA for it. Moreover, you'll need to be able to show you have it when you go for CBT, so if you don't already then it might be worth calling the riding school to defer your training until you get your licence back. (Even though most of the CBT training is done off road, there's a mandatory 2hr on-road ride for which you must be licensed).

Your riding school may be able to book your theory test, though I did mine independently just to get it out of the way. I strongly recommend this software in preparation for it; there are motorcycle-specific topics which you might not be familiar with, and it's worth it not to be caught out by the oddball questions on trams and crossings named after non-native bird species that DSA still insist on including... :D

It's also worth getting in some practise on the hazard perception video game. It attracted a fair amount of criticism when it came out, not least from experienced drivers who can tend to spot things before the scoring 'window' opens and find themselves being unfairly penalised. The DVD (above) includes the 10 official DSA training clips, do make sure you watch them as they're staged, rather than being 'real' hazards, and some are a bit unusual. (They are there, just a b*gger to find... you'll see what I mean when you try!).

Once that's out of the way, book your direct-access training. Let the school book your mod 1 and mod 2 tests, you'll be needing their bike anyway and they may well already have slots reserved at the test centre. Based on my own experience I'd recommend making sure you can defer your mod 2 training and test if you struggle to pass mod 1.

And yes, it is bloody complicated - 4 separate tests, even if you already have a car licence, and younger people have even more complications to do with engine size and power output which, thankfully, you don't need to worry about provided you do the practical tests (mods 1 & 2) on a big bike.

Best of luck and enjoy it :)

Thanks all. I have prov A and GH on license so that should be it. On DSA website it wont let me book theory test - it gives this message:

You are not entitled to take or are not required to take the test you selected.

This may be because:

You have entered your driving licence number incorrectly. For example, check you haven't typed '1' instead of an 'L' or 'I' or vice versa N/A

You are not yet old enough to take the test I AM

You have already passed this test WOULD BE NICE!

You are attempting to book a theory test for a vehicle that you do not have a provisional licence for (see http://www.dsa.gov.uk for more details) THINK I HAVE THIS ON CAR LICENSE

If you believe that none of the above applies to you then please call us on 0300 200 1188 or email Customer Care at [email protected].

I have emailed them to find out why!

many thanks again, Paul.

Welcome to the site pioneer :thumb:

Pop in newbie section and say hi !! :D

As for the DSA website, it is possible your licence hasn't been put on their database. If you have received your licence within the last ten years (address change eg) then it should be..... but I don't trust them guys much :lol:

Good luck !!

Found out why I couldn't book. I just have to send them my license to update it on their system. CBT on Tuesday and start lessons on thursday next week. Hopefully i will have license back in time to do theory . Any idea on waiting times for theory in newcastle?

Tis a good idea to at least photocopy your licence before you send it off.....

Best bet is to get a solicitor to write an affidavit to swear what is already on it... catergorie wise. You musta heard the stories about people sending off their licence only to get it back with missing catergories ..... :shock:

Found out why I couldn't book. I just have to send them my license to update it on their system. CBT on Tuesday and start lessons on thursday next week. Hopefully i will have license back in time to do theory . Any idea on waiting times for theory in newcastle?

When's your CBT? you will need to show your license for that so don't send it off just yet.

When's your CBT? you will need to show your license for that so don't send it off just yet.

Too late for the missing categories!! I went last week and showed training school the license before I sent it off, although they said they cant give me CBT certificate until I present license when it comes back.

Ahh right, well that should all be ok then :) All you have to do it pass :) Good luck with it :D

Thanks. will let you know on Tuesday night. I am just thinking that after CBT i can ride a 125 cc with L plates. Just wondering whether to get a 125 for a few weeks practice until Direct access and tests done, or just wait for when i can get a bigger bike? Would be ideal if training schools rented out their 125's for a couple of weeks to people like me! Maybe they do? i wonder?

Might be worth considering buying a 125 for the road practise. If you buy wisely you'll probably find that you'll be able to sell it for a good price when you don't need it anymore - good 2nd hand market for 125's! :D

Passed the CBT anyway :)