I'm seriously fed up with the DSA

My module 2 test was booked for yesterday afternoon, I'd done two days of training and drilling the test routes with my instructor, who is a bit short tempered for my liking and occasionally thinks that shouting barely comprehensible swearwords down a crackly one way intercom is the best way to deliver criticism to an adult. However, I was feeling ready for the test.

As I'm waiting in the test centre I get called into the office and the examiner notes that there is a problem with my CBT cert. Turns out the plumb who wrote it out forgot to include the pass date, which he argued was a good enough reason to cancel the test, despite it being overlooked by both instructor and examiner for module 1.

Anyway my instructor managed to wrangle a way around the paperwork and sorted out a test for this morning with a bit of training before hand. But I failed. There was a small van stopped over to the left of a 30mph road with what appeared to be enough space for two lanes of traffic ahead, so assuming it was just badly parked I waited for a gap in the oncoming traffic and went for the pass, but just as my front wheel got in line with his back wheel he pulled off with no indication, I dabbed the back brake, did a left shoulder check and tucked myself back to a central road position a safe distance from the back of the van... No drama, it wasn't dangerous and the van wasn't forced to break, turns out he was just waiting for traffic to pass before moving on through a gap (which I thought looked like plenty of space for him hence my decision that he was just stopped, plus he was really close to the parked cars on the left). I had one or two minor faults, which were basically for a wobble when I turned right out of a side street over a crazy camber, so a pretty solid ride apart from the van incident.

I admit that I'd made a bit of an iffy judgement call but as soon as the situation changed I'd dealt with it calmly with no ill effects on the van. Seeing as the rest of my ride was fine with lots of hazards dealt with etc, I can't see why a bit of 'benefit of the doubt' wasn't used. Instead it's £80 down the crapper and another day of my life spent hanging around the damn test centre.

What made me way more annoyed about the whole thing was the examiners attitude. My initial smiles and friendliness were met with a steely silence and no eye contact, I'm not expecting a DSA examiner to be bobo the f**king clown but what's wrong with putting test candidates at ease with a smile, a hello and a handshake?! I really cannot wait until I'm done with these people.

Edited by Hywel

Sounds like he was having a bad day.

But like you say a smile and a handshake would go a miss to put you at ease.

I know its easy to say but try to put these morons behind you because when you pass you will meet some great people in the biking world (a Few a$$holes as well)

First examiner was an arse.... with a big attitude problem, i failed, and he said i shudnt have gone out cos my L plate was cut down too small grrr...

Next examiner was on standby for another area, cos the other was ill.... he was polite, put me at ease, and whilst out on the test was askin what bike I was gonna get etc etc...

It makes all the difference... i can understand they cant be too familiar, but manners and being pleasant would be good!!

I had some training initially, what a w**ker he was too... no patience, swearing all the time, and short changed me on time allocation... needless to say, i just bought a CG125 and taught myself for a year, just gaining confidence and experience.

I swore I wouldnt do anymore bloody tests and training after the experience, i didnt like it at all!!

Good luck for next time :thumb:

First examiner was an ar*e.... with a big attitude problem, i failed, and he said i shudnt have gone out cos my L plate was cut down too small grrr...

Next examiner was on standby for another area, cos the other was ill.... he was polite, put me at ease, and whilst out on the test was askin what bike I was gonna get etc etc...

It makes all the difference... i can understand they cant be too familiar, but manners and being pleasant would be good!!

I had some training initially, what a w**ker he was too... no patience, swearing all the time, and short changed me on time allocation... needless to say, i just bought a CG125 and taught myself for a year, just gaining confidence and experience.

I swore I wouldnt do anymore bloody tests and training after the experience, i didnt like it at all!!

Good luck for next time :thumb:

Did you notice all the pan euros / deuvilles / hi-viz goretex jackets / flip lids used by the a**holes? I think they're just gutted about not being traffic cops :mrgreen:

I'm just gonna let it go over my head, waiting for a callback with some available dates for another test. Determined to get it done and dusted!

I see a pattern emerging in this thread...

Test #1 - Candidate has an overly strict examiner with the social warmth of an open pot of drying tip-ex, feels uneasy in his company and fails

Test #2 - Candidate is given a cheery, slightly more lenient tester who is more encouraging, candidate passes with a new improved outlook on the testing staff, can no longer be arsed to complain, and two test fees per student for the DSA.

BUSTED!! :lol:

EDIT: made up word fail

Edited by Hywel

I'll add my name to the hat too. I had a bit of an arse for an examiner; the kind of guy that was obviously picked on when he was a kid so he gets a job where he can ruin other peoples days and enjoy it.

Hoping to get the friendly guy next time and pass!

they're not all arses! my instructors and examiners where all really nice!

bad luck though hywel - better luck for the next one :thumb:

Cheers :cheers:

DISCLAIMER: I'm not generalizing here, my posts after the initial rant should be taken in jest.

The instructors who took me through CBT and mod1 were fine, "firm but fair" as they say, and the examiner who took my mod1 was a genuinely lovely chap, I don't think he works at that particular test center normally though. My first day of mod2 training on the other hand felt like a savage day long ear bashing, never knowing whether he was shouting at me or the other guy who was also training. Not a bad bloke off the bikes though strangely.

I may word a sensible email to the school when my test is done, just stating politely that although I put up with it for the purposes of getting a motorbike license without having a serious falling out to delay the process, it would be more than enough to put someone more timid and nervous off for good.