Ducati or Kawasaki?

Dana_leigh

<t>Should I get a Duke or a Kwak?</t>  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should I get a Duke or a Kwak?

• Ducati 696
    • Kawasaki ER-6f

Duc'! Duc'! Duc'!

The first big bike I rode was a 696.. one of the brand new ones. I named her Bella :D *mojo drifts off into halcyon days*

...Anyway, I learnt how to ride on a 696 and I couldn't have asked for a better bike. I did a day on an ER6-N and hated it compared to the Duc'. No comparison for me, but the bike you like and why you like it is a very personal thing. It's crap at u-turns, so don't get into any tight spaces ;) but the 'zorst does this gorgeous popping sound when you roll off the throttle... Aah...! Gotta love a v-twin :D

I'd have a Monster in a heartbeat. But I'd want the 1100.

btw, my local Duc dealer (*cough* TAG *cough*) has a 0% finance thing, 2.summat% etc. depending on what the deposit is.

Actually, the only thing against a monster is the lack of wind protection. You really do know you're going 60+ (and you will ;) )

I'm glad I have some fairing on my bike, it's a little, but it helps and you have the option of popping a double bubble on if the fairing's there.

dukes can be tempermental, they don't like the cold or the wet.. and could work out expensive in terms of servicing / repair...

Own a Duke do you? ;)

Fwiw, mine is out all year round. Only time I don't go out on it is when it is snowing for obvious reasons. Not had one problem at all with it, not a peep from it.

My insurance is £140 per year fully comp.

Service is £150. Belt change every two years £150.

Fuel, I get about 140 miles on a tank then the light goes on and I have about 20/30 miles left apparently.

Last bike I had before this one was a Kwak. Most unreliable piece of shite I have ever owned. To be fair though I have had Kwaks in the past that have been brilliant.

Dana, go and try both bikes and make a decision then. Being brand new they will be top bikes and serve you well, you just need to spend a weekend on both bikes if you can before committing to buy one of them.

Agree with the above, lets not be too bleedin obvious in stereotyping manufacturers, Honda = boring Ducati = unreliable etc etc blah blah

The 696 is a peach of a bike, Ive sat on one at our local showroom and thought this would be a great bike to ride, nice light (that slipper clutch is feather light :) ) controls, nice riding position thought oooo yes please if i had the cash that'd be my ideal second bike.

You pays your money you takes your choice but since your asking Id go for (these days) relaible exotica

they don't like the cold or the wet.. and could work out expensive in terms of servicing / repair...

In the 90's, maybe. Although I have used all four of my Ducati's all year round with no problems (apart from minor carb icing on the M600)

They are much more reliable and more in line with Japanese bikes to run from new!

I would have the 696 as a first bike. In fact I did get it's predecessor as a first bike, an M600 and it was great!

Edited by cossie916

Actually, the only thing against a monster is the lack of wind protection. You really do know you're going 60+ (and you will ;) )

I'm glad I have some fairing on my bike, it's a little, but it helps and you have the option of popping a double bubble on if the fairing's there.

Like you have the option of putting a nose fairing on a 696!

i've voted for the kwack, but really i wouldn't buy a new bike

as my first big bike at all!

buy a 2nd hand jap 600 keep it for a year or so

then buy new!

that way you'll do all your learning and find out what

you really want in a bike before spending loads of dosh :lol:

Jumping straight onto a 600 or 636 kwak or duke is a big ask, have you found out about insurance for these bikes being that your a first timer? You might be in for a shock!. Would suggest a good second hand bike myself, sods law say's, you will have a miss hap, all part of the learning curve l'm affraid, we've all been there truth be known.

Seems like the Ducati bashers are out in force again...usually people who have never even sat on one I might add.

Ducatis aren't that expensive if you keep up with maintenance....same as any other bike. And to be honest you can do the servicing yourself, it's easy once you've done it once. If you take any bike to a dealer they'll charge £50 or £60 to take the fairing off, so do it yourself! Even timing belts and valve adjustments are easy.

Insurance on a Duke ST4s (996 engine) is cheaper than the Blackbird I'm about to buy, running costs (i.e. MPG) on the ST4 (916 engine) and the ST4s are better than I used to get on my old 600 Suzuki, and the handling on all Dukes surpasses pretty much any other bike (fact, not opinion!). And there's the sound to top it all off. If you like it then it's great.

The Kwak is also a great bike, but it's more of a tool. Not just a tool, it's a nice bike, but the Duke is nicer (my opinion)!

EDIT: And my first bike was a 600, fully comp insurance was £350 8-)

Easy decision really. Make sure the shop does both. Buy the Duco and every time it breaks down get the Kwak as a loaner. Get some Kwak leathers cos you'll be riding it a lot.

Says a lot about Italian engineering that fiat advertise on a Yamaha 8-)

So nothing to do with the fact that Rossi rides for Yamaha then?

Jumping straight onto a 600 or 636 kwak or duke is a big ask, have you found out about insurance for these bikes being that your a first timer? You might be in for a shock!. Would suggest a good second hand bike myself, sods law say's, you will have a miss hap, all part of the learning curve l'm affraid, we've all been there truth be known.

Insurance cost is no bother....all have to start somewhere, I would rather have something I like than something for a cheap insurance job.

I don;t mind buying second hand but as I know nothing about bikes I Figured the benefits of buying new will help. I will still up buying from a dealer even if it is second hand.

Seems like the Ducati bashers are out in force again...usually people who have never even sat on one I might add.

Ducatis aren't that expensive if you keep up with maintenance....same as any other bike. And to be honest you can do the servicing yourself, it's easy once you've done it once. If you take any bike to a dealer they'll charge £50 or £60 to take the fairing off, so do it yourself! Even timing belts and valve adjustments are easy.

Insurance on a Duke ST4s (996 engine) is cheaper than the Blackbird I'm about to buy, running costs (i.e. MPG) on the ST4 (916 engine) and the ST4s are better than I used to get on my old 600 Suzuki, and the handling on all Dukes surpasses pretty much any other bike (fact, not opinion!). And there's the sound to top it all off. If you like it then it's great.

The Kwak is also a great bike, but it's more of a tool. Not just a tool, it's a nice bike, but the Duke is nicer (my opinion)!

EDIT: And my first bike was a 600, fully comp insurance was £350 8-)

Thanks for that :) My ex has a Ducati 748 and ran fine. I've worked on it with him on things like replacing the clutch lines (cos he wanted fancy ones) and a few other bits so I can work some stuff out, or ask him to help if I need to do things myself. However, I'm used to paying dealers to service my car so normally just pay out (might be a typical woman there!!)

Personally i would go for the kwak.. the ER is a great 1st bike! Dukes tend to be a little on the pricey side for servicing.. Tho it is totally up to you, try them both and get the one that suits you most!! :twisted:

Personally i would go for the kwak.. the ER is a great 1st bike! Dukes tend to be a little on the pricey side for servicing.. Tho it is totally up to you, try them both and get the one that suits you most!! :twisted:

To be honest I'm leaning back towards the Kawak a bit, just because love superbikes and the Kawak has more of a look that I'm after in that sense.....

Might be worth getting a Duke as a 'target bike' - one I save for and get later on maybe.....

Superbike looks???????

anyhow, here they are side by side!

http://www.blog.julians.name/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/ducati-monster-696-left.jpg

http://kawasaki.ch/fr/Objects/w544h408_0000034049770EE0.jpg

Take your pick!

Superbike looks???????

anyhow, here they are side by side!

http://www.blog.julians.name/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/ducati-monster-696-left.jpg

http://kawasaki.ch/fr/Objects/w544h408_0000034049770EE0.jpg

Take your pick!

Appreciate the visual, I guess what I mean, is I like the fully fared bikes like the Ducati 748 etc, but I know realistically I can't jump straight onto one of those, so I think a Kawak might be a good start.....even though I love the Duke someone has said the handling on corners can be hard.