windproofs?

what are you wearing currently (for the biking...)

I wear a fleece on top of my leathers, (it won't fit inside, and is easier to clean (washing machine) than the leather jacket...)

or inside of my textiles..

a waterproof over suit is windproof and handy to be wearing at this time of year as you never know when the heavens will open

failing that a decent set of winter textiles will do the job :wink:

at the moment, just my textile jacket and jeans......

Might try putting a fleece under my jacket, is my knees mostly tho. Maybe investing in a decent set of leathers is the way to go :S

Thanks Dixie

Dixie, I wear ron hills/tracksters under my jeans,

so try leggings, running bottoms or tights (hoping your a girl, here...)

For real warmth find yourself a scuba under suit - the terylene type, not the fleecy ones. I have one which I can't fit into at the moment, but when I tried it the result was amazing!

For real warmth find yourself a scuba under suit - the terylene type, not the fleecy ones. I have one which I can't fit into at the moment, but when I tried it the result was amazing!

how long ago was that Para....? :mrgreen:

how long ago was that Para....? :mrgreen:

I think it was early last year - it resembles a thong with arms and legs now :oops:

When it is cold and windy I wear my thermals. A vest and leggins/long-johns. Nice and warm. I have only been really cold on the odd occasion, maybe once or twice wearing them but it was -5 the first time. Most of the time though I am ok with the thermals on and can highly recommend them. A lot cheaper than textiles too!

Last year I started wearing a balaclava. Bought it at the NEC bike show for something like a fiver. I asked the feller for a Coldkillers one but he said these ones were as good although they were cheaper. This one I have is excellent at keeping the cold out and my head warm. It has like a bib at the front that protects the neck and keeps the neck warm too. Worn with a decent neck-tube it really works well. Can't remember the make of it but it has the words "Anti Freeze - Windproof Protection" around the edges of it. The difference is great again, a 'must have' bit of kit.

Also have a look around for some thermal undergloves, these will help a lot on those long journeys.

Thermal socks help too and I have also seen something like thermal knee sock things that you can get to keep the cold off your knees that look handy.

Thermals under my leathers all the way for me in the winter!

EDZ do a light windproof layer to wear under or over bike kit, supposed to be the mutts nutts

Thats what I use under my jeans for work and under my leathers during winter works fine and quite cheap too they just look like tights thats all!

Windstoppers are excellent. I got mine from last years' NEC half price. Used to wear ex Dutch Army Goretex kit under my textiles which helps to trap a warm layer and keep the cold wind out.

Other than that, layering clothes to keep warm is best.

Light thin layers are best bet.

In winter I wear EDZ long sleeve shirt or technical material shirt (we get issued - similar material), with an EDZ windstopper.

That with a goretex bike jacket (with liner in it) and warm enough on most days for a full shift.

If it gets colder I wear an extra thin technical material top.

Thin layers trap heat in.

Try Millets or Blacks (any outdoor sports places) or ski shops - often cheaper than bike shop stuff.

Don't wear fleeces or jumpers too thick and restrict movement.

Worth investing in good gloves too - I have just bought a pair of Weisse which are superb, warm, waterproof, comfy, plenty of feel and light weight.

As for socks, look at ski socks or decent walking socks. I tested several pairs for RiDE last year and found Alpinestars (with silver thread in them) the best.

A good windproof and cold proof and cheap idea for your feet in winter is to just wrap plastic bags round them in your boots this also makes a water proof lining, was surprised how much difference this made even over my long motogp thermal socks!

:stupid:

after a soggy ride, i pulled into the services got 2 bags and waterproofed my feet, made a hell of difference, you don't want icy cold water running down the inside of your boots..

also keep some disposable gloves handy (diesel ones off a forecourt, or mechanics gloves) same reason, also put you jacket over your gloves, stops the rain soaking the inner...

and if you can get near the engine, you can warm your gloves by resting them on the engine when having a brew stop...