RST, Frank Thomas Gear or neither?

Having looked around i have found i can get boots, gloves, spine protector, lid, leather jacket and trousers for £610 if i buy RST jacket and trousers but £840 if i buy Alpine Star jacket and trousers.

My question is this, i can afford the £840 but are the alpine star jacket and trousers worth the extra in terms of safety and quality?

P.S. found the gear at a bike outlet store in Slough :0)

Stu

To a point there's some degree of paying a premium for a name, but then i have alpinestars leathers and they're :love:

Best bet is to try them on, feel the quality of them, and choose whether the extra is worth it to you..

That makes sense. Definately the way forward. Just dont want to buy gear then a few months later regret it for the sake of trying to save £200 quid.

Also, is there anything you can treat leathers with to make them water repellant?

Stuart

i'm really happy with my RST textile gear, but can't really comment on their leathers.

Although they did get a good write up in an edition of Ride a few months back (the 2 piece leathers), so good value for money, they even beat quite a few better known (and more expensive) brands.

• 1 month later...

Not a direct comparison I know but I had rst gloves and a frank thomas jacket when I got hit, Both held up well and saved my arm, Both were battered very hard and both wern't really usable afterwards. they were pretty much one use quality. I dont know how much this is compensated by other makes but i've heard people talking about how they are still wearing things like spidi and alpine after a off or 2. Just got my new gear yesterday and after having had those bits settled on spidi jacket and weise gloves this time as I want the best I can afford. After fit i'd say go for what feels most protective regardless of cost (and regardless of brand, I'm still sticking with cheaper lids due to them feeling more protective)

Hope that helps

i have a frank thomas 2 peice and its crap i had an RST before it that was ace :D

ive had two FT suits the first one got took back 6 times for repair in the first 6 months then replaced for their latest ones now these have been back 3 times for repair and still need repairing again!!! out or warrenty now though!!

the RST suit i had was spot on never had a problem with that and stood up really well in a 90 mph ish slide on tarmac would have got another but the sizing is a bit funny on their new gear and couldnt get one to fit properly!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi i have FT boots and two piece suit in textile i cant fault it warm safety bits in all the right places and looks smart, boots also no problem holding up well. gloves also no probs.

Hi i have FT boots and two piece suit in textile i cant fault it warm safety bits in all the right places and looks smart, boots also no problem holding up well. gloves also no probs.

thats the only thing FT is good at is boots and textiles :?

i have a textile jacket and its spot on same as the other halfs textile trousers :?

its just the leathers that fall apart!!