Battery not charging need help!

Guest xxNSR125xx

Hello, I recently brought a secondhand Honda NSR 125 that seemed fine from the word go, after owning it for a week I went to start it up one morning only to find the battery was completely flat, next to no life in it at all. So I tried to obvious and replaced the battery and it was fine for about a week but now the new battery has done the same. I am assuming the battery is not being charged, I do not have an alarm so there is nothing to drain it and also after a long trip the battery still has no charge only other symptom is that the indicators are flashing too fast not sure if this helps your diagnosis. PLEASE HELP! :shock:

Get a multimeter on the battery when the bike is off, then again when turned on. The voltage should rise.

Your lights etc work okay otherwise?

Sounds like it may be a reg/rectifier problem, although not sure about the indicator thing, did the indicators flash fast since you bought it (maybe they took the relay thing out that slows them down to be "cool")

first off welcome to the forum pop into newbies and introduce yourself.

and it sounds like you need to get the charging tested on your bike at tickoveryou should have just over 12volts showing on a voltmeter and at about 3000 to 4000 rpm you should have about 14/15 volts showing if it doesnt go up with increasing revs then it could be your alternator,if it is going up way past the 15 volts it could be your rectifier/regulator

As far as I am aware the indicators were fine when I brought it and it was only after I put the new battery in that they sped up quite abit, I was thinking Reg/rec, I will try and get hold of a volt meter. Where should I take the readings from?

Take the reading from the battery,the black lead goes to negative-the red to positive,...hold the leads onto the battery note the reading,start the bike the reading should go up to at least 14volts if you rev it,if it dosen,t you may need a new regulator,or even a stator,take the bike to get the charging system checked,if you,re not sure,... :cheers: