So with the touring season almost upon us I thought it was time to start preparing. My question is how much luggage space do I need? ive got a 37 and a 42 litre topboxes, a rack for that to fit on and a few mesh elasticated thingimbobs. I know i need more but how much? ive got a large backpack which is ment for hiking, which the pillion could wear i suppose... and advice welcome. oh and preferable i need to be able to carry enough stuff for me and a friend to manage to camp with at least some comfort, so a 4man tent, blow up matterace, sleeping bags, food/drink, clothes. cooking gear... oh and any camping items that might make living with natre more bareable ;) thankyou

From the look of your list and your wishes i think all need for the bike is a Tow bar to tow your Caravan.

4 man tent WTF

If your taking a pillion (tell him to get his own bike and share the load)

Just get a decent top box and some panniers. If you can't get the stuff in then you don't need it.

I wouldn't advise a backpack for touring as it adds to the fatigue of who ever is wearing it.

Try a weekend local ish and see what gear you actually use and bin the rest for when you go properly

Alright then TC I've already found a site local(ish) about 20miles away that accepts tenters. It says '4man' on the side of the tent but in truth 3 would be cramped and 2 is ideal (only a dome with a entrance thing to keep stuff dry. We've got a caravan, but don't quite think the bike will lug it around. ;)

fazer; The bikes is fitted with a propper topbox rack, I just need to find a way of fitting the extra large box. (Mounting plate). I'm going to have a look at har panniers but I think the price differnce may drive me to soft luggage with waterproofing spray and plastic bags. :/

Would it be alright to strap the tent to the top of the to box? (honestly its not that heavy)

Thankyou for the quick replys. :) :cheers:

Make a kit list lay it all out on the floor then take a good look at it and bin 80% :)

Rack, panniers 79ltrs fair enough ideal, but your camping; which translates into keeping warm and keeping fed. Sounds like it would be easier and safer to plan your route around B&B's...

BB

hehe, 80% of only the vital stuff? oh god. :lol: I've been a avid camper for years, started off with parents taking us on little holidays on tents, then we traded up to a folding caravan, then a box that didn't need building every time we went somewhere, then recently upgraded to a newer full caravan. But last summer me and neighbour went camping in peak district for a few nights. Ok we didn't have a bike so we carried everything but still enjoyable. I'll admit though carrying around the gear everywhere was a bit daunting. :(

B&B's are a possibility I suppose but you lose your connection with nature, and the extra thrill of being out there living with little technology etc. Only down side to camping as we all know is the weather. :) If it's wet then it's more than likely going to be a les pleasn't trip. :cry:

Great idea with the kit list though, I'll deffinalty give that a go. :D

Thankyou for your wisdom. Oh and how does everyone keep there tents secure? Just a simple padlock through the zips, and take anything valuable with you if your going out? :)

when i did a trip around the uk coast (2 weeks and 3000 miles) we stopped in hostels,first time i ever did this and tbh it was pretty good,it cost us around £200 for the 14 nites and is much cheaper than bnb's and much nicer than camping :D

you allready say you have the top box frame,right this all depends on how serious and how much ya gonna get to use it, but you can get a full frame top box and panniers for around £500 to fit yours,yes bloody expensive,but when you take into account you could get £100 for your topbox and frame,another £50 for the spare topbox your looking at £350 then take into account buying soft panniers (which you will sell if the touring bug gets ya) at a cost of anything from £50-£90 then getting the full touring works doesnt sound half as bad.and you can always sell the kit on if you dont need it anymore,and hard luggage as your finding out comes at a premium so depending on wear n tear i reckon you could get ya money back after 2 years use :D its a plan :D

when you are loading up your bike don;t forget the load capacity as overloading your bike can cause stress to the subrame.

You should be fine with side cases (Hard or Soft) and a topbox. my suggestion would be one side for you one side for your pillion and the topbox for camping gear, simples. If you are already into camping and backpacking then it should be simples to cross over to the bike.

I managed a trip for 21 days down to Turkey and back on an FJR with only the hard lugage and an Oxfor tailpack as luggage, though I didn't camp.

Back in 89 I toured the Eu 9 countries in 10 days (+principalities) on a BMW K100RS with side cases and a small topbox, pillion and camped simply bungied the tent and sleeping mats to the top of the topbox and rode. Didn't have much in the way of luxuries except for a peak cooker and tea making stuff. Relied on street cafes for food ;)

Remember though that riding with a bike and pillion fully/overloaded isn;t going to be that much fun through the twisties and mountain passes hard work... doable but hard work, consider riding to a base and riding out from their.

As suggested, load up and go for a weekend or two to try out what is possible and what kit you can do without. And importantly how the bike handles with the gear ;)

Have fun.

Excellent thankyou. Great plan fazer, i'll give it some though now i've got some free time :) And i'll deffinatly keep my eye's out for a nice set of frame attachments to hold those boxes. :lol: And I agree that hard would be a lot more preferable than soft luggage, and the 1 either side idea's a good one too. :) As long as we're going somewhere then I don't mind the stress of having to deal with the extra weight (yes it'll be a lot I bet) but a rideout/trip never fills me with dread... at the begging :P . Thanks for the previous rideout report. I hadn't really given the weight issue on the subframe front much thought. But suppose it'll be alright aslong as I don't encounter any huge potholes. :D

Thankyou for everything. I'll keep my eye's peeled and my thought's open about it all. 8-)

And that I do fazer, well noted. :lol:

Good plan rennie, and just because of your comment i've now pushed myself and bought a elasticated mesh strap thing, to secure stuff onto the pillion seat. :lol: Who say's people don't have a impact? :P -- Thankyou fazer, it's much appreciated. :cheers:

I see what you mean, however both me and the pillion I have in mind are both rather... errm 'skiny' (put it this way, i'm about 5 foot 8/9 inch, and weigh 45kg :P So i'm hoping there's space for myself, the pillion in question and a bag to rest on the bit of the seat behind them, between them and the box. That way it reduces fatigue as mentioned and means they have a more pleasnt ride (hopefully) :)

What,the tour around the uk? Well digs were around 200 petrol was the most costly item at around 400 and add on food for two weeks at around 30 inc a few beers i would have sqid about £1000 in2007 maybe now around £1100 but best two weeks ive had on a bike,especially the coast of scotland.