honda cg125 problems HELP!!!

scooke

Hi I've got a honda CG125 that is a 01 plate. The problem I'm having with it is the alternator coil has packed up I think so there is no charge for the head light to work. so I guess I'm asking do any of you know how I can replace or fix this problem. Any sort of suggestions welcome thanks??

check if the battery is charging put a volt meter on the battery with engine off then on tick over and then at about half throttle the readings should go up,if your bike has 12 volt electrics then at half throttle you should get a reading of about 14 to 15 volts if not then the charging coils could well be at fault.as well as david silver mentioned by dan you could try these guys as well http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/

hay guys and thank you alot. basically i knew about this problem when i was riding home from work 1 night and light cut out tried all the diagnostics nothing came up apart from the alternator??

Did your 'light' just cut out straight away or slowly get dimmer and dimmer. Was it all your lights or just your headlight?

I would have thought if it was the alternator it 'your light' and all your lights would have got slowly dimmer and indicators matbe even slower

if only the headlight cut out and instantly it could be something else

thanks guys for all your suggestions in response to the question asked it slowly went just the head light nothing else then couple days later it would light up again then cut out after approximately 20-30seconds of putting the light on. I am thinking of replacing the engine. any thoughts on this? again many thanks

Did you make 100% sure your battery is okay and able to hold a charge..thats the place to start

if you take the battery off and charge the battery up and is it okay for a while? or does it stay nearly flat?

if battery can hold its charge then look towards electrical connections and then the alternator/generator

probably best to try the simpler cheaper things first.......

good luck

Scooke!, we need to start again! :lol:

Is the headlight the only thing that's not working?

If so change the lamp/check the connections.

Is the battery going flat/bike failing to start?

If so we need to check the charging system.

sorry ian its been a long day lol. it starts first time every time nothing else is a fault on the bike the dials light up indicators work just the head light i did try changing the head light and making the connections decent again but to no avail. but like i said starts every time in cold, rain, heat, even snow so thats what i thought it was the alternator. many thanks

always worth having a manual!

have you got a volt meter?

start with the simple things.

Is the lamp fitted the correct voltage/rating?

how many volts is there at the lamp holder?

does the voltage change if you move bike/handlebars?

I dont own a volt meter no but I can get hold of 1. If I'm honest rennie I havent had much time lately to have a play but I will over the weekend after which I will post what I have found fully so you can get a better understanding. many thanks again

It's not the alternator then! or the engine! :lol:

Has to be either the lamp, lampholder, wiring for headlight

or earth for headlight.

yes, also worth checking your getting a live feed out of the switch when its on main beam and the dip switch itself

It does sound like a poor contact somewhere