Motorbike Rucsak?

Does anyone know of any motorbike-suitable rucsaks i can use or buy? (not faffy ones though, like the ones i saw in Lidl - how many straps to get it on!? :shock: ) - i'm looking for ones i can put a reasonable amount of weight in, as my coursebooks weigh alot.

Or, considering i want to spend as little as possible, is there a normal rucsak i can use?

The problem i tend to find with "normal but cheap" rucsaks though, is that i wear/break the stiching on the straps (the stiching holding the straps to the body of the bag) very quickly, possibly by putting them on over my armoured jacket (i don't want/have time to fiddle with adjusting them every time).

Yh my thoughts exactly! Was looking at some and amazed by the prices and straps!!

The one I use is crap and isn't waterproof. I'd be interested in the replies to this thread.

i know of i guy that has 3 oxford rucksacks for sale. All brand new. He wants 40 quid each for them. He s also got loads of panniers for sale too. Those rucksacks have a 3 point strap system on them. If your interested pm me and i ll get in touch with him for you

hehe, do it the cheap way. I bought a normal small rucksack from the likes of asda, along with some waterproof spray. Gave the bag a few coats and it's not let me down once. 8-) Used it all the way through winter, so this is the bag that has been sleeted, snowed, rained, hailed on, and had a collision with the tarmac. It's survived so i'm happy enough. :) If you want a chest strap, then Knot the two bits of dangling strap across your chest. (the ends of the adjustable shoulder straps.) :mrgreen: Doing it this way means you can find a bag that fits your requirements perfectly, be it small/light, or large/perfect for those odd shaped objects, and they'll still ahve the extra comfort. :)

Just my little chip on the subject.

Good Luck with your decisions.

Bullet5. 8-)

I've had a number of back packs and I love my Knox Six Pack. Very comfy, love the way it opens and you can carry your lid when not on the bike.

Nearly went for the Kriega - in the end, the Knox was purchased as it was cheaper. But it's great.

Try passion automotive (google it), they have a few, I'm thinking of getting one myself from there (mainly car stuff, now doing bike stuff too by the looks of things) but great service always when I've used them

Am I the only one that when ya get hit by the strap, it bloody hurts at 70 mph! :shock:

The Knox has little thingies that hold the straps (the excess bits) in place so there is no flapping around. After 30 years of camping/hiking etc - it really is the best back pack I've ever bought !

Am I getting a little too excited about a back pack??? :shock:

if you want a cheap, reliable, sturdy rucksack, then google 'army rucksacks'. Plenty of different shapes/sizes, and very good value for money.

i've got one by Highlander, and its really good. Comes with raincover, lots of built in loops on the bag (so you can attach to the bike securely with straps), and serveral pockets on the outside of the bag. Cost me £20.

only downside is they come in camouflage colours, without any reflective stickers or bright colours. But i'm guessing this bag will last me years!

Does anyone know of any motorbike-suitable rucsaks i can use or buy? (not faffy ones though, like the ones i saw in Lidl - how many straps to get it on!? :shock: ) - i'm looking for ones i can put a reasonable amount of weight in, as my coursebooks weigh alot.

Or, considering i want to spend as little as possible, is there a normal rucsak i can use?

The problem i tend to find with "normal but cheap" rucsaks though, is that i wear/break the stiching on the straps (the stiching holding the straps to the body of the bag) very quickly, possibly by putting them on over my armoured jacket (i don't want/have time to fiddle with adjusting them every time).

I personally have an Osprey rucksack.

This one to be precise.

It wasn't cheatp, cost about £70, although that was a couple of years ago so it might be a bit cheaper now.

Its light, tough, very comfortable, holds a hell of a lot of stuff if you pack it right, and generally pretty good all around. The only problem with it is that it isn't 100% waterproof, it will keep your stuff dry in rain but if it gets very heavy then it will let some water through.

As for the problem of having loads of straps, it does have a crapload of straps on but you never need to adjust any of them, just set it all up so it fits you properly and leave it alone. All I ever do when I get on the bike is do the waist strap up, just a single clip, and off you go.

Not cheap but it will last you for years. Mines been used weekly for long hikes for the last 2 years, has gone to Advanced Base Camp on Mount Everest and is used virtually every time I go on the bike in all weather and is still in perfect condition.

I use a Kriega .. but a cheaper alternative

http://www.over-board.co.uk/catalog//bw ... cts_id=78/

http://www.over-board.co.uk/catalog/images/waterproof-backpacks-20-litres-yellow.jpg?osCsid=7ccffd5ba4b0e19af439ed4ed4a9de96

Ummmmmmmmmmmmm ....... ohh rucksack looks good too :P

I have the same problem... rucksack straps always break trying to get it on over my jacket... might have to invest in one of these too ..

Am I the only one that when ya get hit by the strap, it bloody hurts at 70 mph! :shock:

The Knox has little thingies that hold the straps (the excess bits) in place so there is no flapping around. After 30 years of camping/hiking etc - it really is the best back pack I've ever bought !

Am I getting a little too excited about a back pack??? :shock:

No! I have one too and I think it's great. Laptop cover inside is a bonus.

And you can strap a sleeping bag etc at the top of it! :)

Did you guys used it rain? I found it's not really waterproof, but it was almost a torrential rain, so not too bad.

The chest strap is awesome, so comfortable when you have something heavy inside.