sat navvvvvvv

hi all ,

well im on the look out for a sat nav for the bike , as i wont be coming to the rally unless I have one loll

so does anyone have any recommendations? i may even suggest normal satnavs also , ill just wire up a 12v socket if needed. I dont want a really expensive one :) also i cannot use my phone , cus its crap and slow

and plz dont argue with each other over whats best lol

ive currently been looking at the tomtom rider v2,

I am using standard car satnav, Garmin Nuvi 265WT and it is good enough for me. I wouldn't buy a specific bike satnav unless it was really reasonably priced. And £200-£300 extra over similar car unit just for a waterproofing and bluetooth is a rip off to me. I really don't like to waste my money so I prefer to get a waterproof case for £15 off ebay. But that is just my personal opinion :)

tomtom rider v1 for me, works great with a scarla rider headset. You can get them fairly cheap on ebay now and they have a good battery life if you dont want to charge on the bike (I get 3 hours or more easy).

tomtom rider v1 for me, works great with a scarla rider headset. You can get them fairly cheap on ebay now and they have a good battery life if you dont want to charge on the bike (I get 3 hours or more easy).

is that all ? :? i would look at a replacement battery sounds like its on its way out!! i get up to 8 hours on mine lowest been 6!!

keep an eye out on ebay as akey says i got mine for £80 best £80 ive spent for the bike

i also use a program called TYRE (Trace Your Route Everywhere) great program that you can plot routes with google maps and load them on to tomtom im sure akey uses that too?? so does Dan :)

Personaly, I've got a navigo satnav. It cost around £60, has a great user interface (in my opinion) and has stud up to multiple attacks by the rain, without added protection, perfectly. :)

Mother recently bought a higher end satnav as she was getting peeved off at arriving at dead ends with father navigating. She did a trial run with my satnav and her one, and actually found that she prefered the display on my super cheap one, and it directed her the exact same route as the new one. :shock:

Hope this helps.

Bullet5. :)

I've got a map! and a sense of direction :lol:

map cost a couple of quid the rest was free :lol:

I have got a twat nav, for the car, but never use that either :lol:

seriously, meet up with someone who went last year and follow them in.

Spend the money you save on beer! :cheers: sorted!

thanks for the replies folks , im not gonna go down the mobile phone satnav route,

ill keep a look out for the tomtoms,

only thing thats putting me off getting a normal satnav is really just finding a mount etc for them .

Only thing thats putting me off getting a normal satnav is really just finding a mount etc for them .

Simples. Buy/find a bicycle handlebar attachement (light/reflector), take it and your sat nav bracket apart. Normaly the satnav bracket has a bolt that allows it to pivot. Undo this, then stick the bicycle component mount into this, and put bolt back through. A few rubber strips (like you get with a bicycle light/reflector anyway) to make sure it's a tight fit on your bars, and away you go. :lol:

Obviously this won't work with every satnav mount, or every bicycle light fitting, however if you get a pair together that work, then it costs hardly anything, and is dead sturdy. 8-) I used mine loads last summer, and took it on two big trips. Had minimal vibration, and I never had to worry about it falling off. :)

However now i've got a 'smartphone' i'll use the free navigation software I downloaded for it, connect the phone to my bluetoth headset/helmet, start up the navigation, put on some tunes, and away I go. If the satnav want's to cut in to tell me a direction, the phone will automaticaloly dim the music volume. 8-) Works a treat.

Anyway, good luck with your choice. :mrgreen:

Bullet5.

I've just ordered a bike mount for my Garmin from ebay for £3.29 inc postage :) You can get one for any satnav and pay just pennies. Waterproof cases for all satnavs with bike mount are for £15-£20 :thumb:

Waterproof cases for all satnavs with bike mount are for £15-£20 :thumb:

Or pennies if you string two sandwich bags over it, and pull it tight with a rubber band. :lol: Satnav's last well (surprisingly) against rain. :D

• 1 month later...