Need some advice On a tricky problem please :)

polecat

Went to take my carbs off today and as per Haynes removes the bolts connecting the carb to the engine.

bolt 1,2 and 3 no problem then when I got to the final bolt I found the head is pretty rounded and no spanner on my planet will fit it and get enough purchase (including sockets)

Anyone know a practical solution to my problem I would be really grateful :cheers:

168330796_23042011(17).JPG.abe2817c51dad14dc77bd111def0b48f.JPG

i take it you will be replacing the bolt anyways as its rounded off??.. if so grab a hammer and chisel and with the chisel on the edge of the bolt tap it around until it comes loose... i did this on the engine casing bolts which were chewed up and they came out no problem.. just dont whack it too hard incase you shatter the alloy casing...

I tried molegrips and they cant get hold of it .

Problem is the inlet rubber prevents getting a grip and the bolt has a skirt washer atachment :roll:

I did try lots of things without making it it much worse :)

I will try the hammer and chisel idea as this worked with my oil filter when it was stuck but problem is this is a 8mm bolt and not much to it.

once out it will Never BE A BOLT AGAIN !!!

Thanks for the replys :cheers:

Find a socket that,s slightly smaller than the bolt head and tap it on with a big hammer until it fits fully over the bolt head. If that doesn't work, dremel a slot in the bolt head thats just big enough for an Impact driver slotted adaptor and use the Impact driver to undo it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Last time I had one like that on the car I used a set of Irwin damaged nut and bolt removers. Got them off ebay, but basically as you "loosen" the bolt the Irwin socket bites into the head and forces it off. Saved my *rse a couple of times lol

Get a file and file 2 flat edges on the bolt,then an open ended spanner,should do the trick,.. :cheers:

Thank you .....I bought a file then flatterned 2 edges then found a really nifty molegrip that was flat nosed and managed to get the bloomin thing out !! :)

The fileing as you suggest was the only thing that really worked as it was bolted into rubber before the engine and heat not really an option :cheers:

Get a file and file 2 flat edges on the bolt,then an open ended spanner,should do the trick,.. :cheers:

Thank you .....I bought a file then flatterned 2 edges then found a really nifty molegrip that was flat nosed and managed to get the bloomin thing out !! :)

The fileing as you suggest was the only thing that really worked as it was bolted into rubber before the engine and heat not really an option :cheers:

I,m glad it worked :cheers:

Only just spotted this post and glad you got sorted.

I have a set of wrenches similar to these. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARKSMAN-4PC-SELF ... 1845wt_905

I can't remember what make mine and can't be bothered to go and look lol. They will grip and turn anything even round pipes.

Anyway mine are in their own hard case and a set of five. I've them around 5 years and they are great for jobs just like this one.

Only just spotted this post and glad you got sorted.

I have a set of wrenches similar to these. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MARKSMAN-4PC-SELF ... 1845wt_905

I can't remember what make mine and can't be bothered to go and look lol. They will grip and turn anything even round pipes.

Anyway mine are in their own hard case and a set of five. I've them around 5 years and they are great for jobs just like this one.

Cheers I have just bought a set as they look just what I may need for the next one that gets stuck (and there will be one )