strange issue

sparkeh9

I'm not sure how to describe this, but here goes.

A few days ago I noticed that my chain was really loose, couldn't do anything about it, cos I was on the motorway at the time. I also noticed that the rear wheel felt....disconnected from the rest of the bike, and sometimes the bike felt like it was shaking, or vibrating slightly. I also noticed a reduction in rear wheel braking power....

I though it was a misaligned wheel or something, so I took the opportunity and took off the rear wheel to re-align it. I tightened the chain so it had about 1 inch of play. The chain clunking noise stopped (loose chain), and it felt fine at first, but after I got onto the dual carriageway, it suddenly felt like the wheel was wobbling about and disconnected again.

I checked the wheel and it spins as freely as I would expect (with friction from the sprockets and chains etc), doesn't look buckled and is aligned properly as far as I can tell. I can go around corners as easily as I ever could, just on the straights that I notice it shaking slightly, and even then it's periodically.

Any ideas?

I checked the wheel and it spins as freely as I would expect (with friction from the sprockets and chains etc), doesn't look buckled and is aligned properly as far as I can tell. I can go around corners as easily as I ever could, just on the straights that I notice it shaking slightly, and even then it's periodically.

Any ideas?

Checked your tyre pressure?

if the tyre pressure was to low then you would know at low speed moreso. have you checked your bearings, and when you took your wheel off did you check the thread on your bolts, if these are ok then maybe consider other things like the swing arm, is that in place correctly?

just on the straights that I notice it shaking slightly, and even then it's periodically.

Any ideas?

Bumpy road? :lol:

If it's when you approach a roundabout it'll be them rumble strips they use to remind you to slow down :wink:

I'm starting to think it's the torque arm (I think thats what it's called) which is bolted to the brake caliper, as I noticed it only wobbles slightly when I use the brake. Must be subconscious braking, as I'd not noticed before.

Also, it made a tyre screeching sound for a few seconds, as though the torque arm was rubbing against the tyre. Does this sound feasible?

The torque arm is a connecting rod from the brake drum to the frame to stop it rotating when you apply the brake. It shouldn't move. You mention caliper. Disc or drum rear brake? Could be a warped disc. Sounds more like you have a serious rear brake problem or possibly a collapsed wheel bearing. If your torque arm is rubbing on the wheel you have serious problems. Don't ride it till it's sorted 8-)

Edit. Did you put the spacers back in the right order when you had the wheel off?

Grab rear brake caliper and see if it is loose on sliding bolts, check torque arm tight on front and rear bolts. Remove caliper from support bracket , grab bracket to see if it moves. Check wheel bearings by grabbing front and rear of wheel and pull/pushing away and toward you. Check swingarm bearings by grabbing rear and pulling pushing away/toward you. Get back to us after these checks.???

Im gonna take it apart if I get chance later, I may have mixed up some of the spacers when I changed the sprocket carrier...at least I hope that's all it is :shock:

Im not a mechanic, but I always have a go myself :).

OK, so I took the rear wheel off and made sure everything was aligned....Then I noticed a ball bearing on the floor....So im guessing the rear wheel bearing is FUBAR.

How do I replace it? just bought a pair on ebay for £6 inc delivery