Adding security to bike

Sparky65

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on which security system to add to a Kawasaki ER-6F I'm seriously thinking about buying.

I'm looking at Alphadot or Datatag or something similar.

The factors are:

• Ease of fitting/installation/application

• Cost

• Effectiveness

Thanks for your thoughts.

They are both the same! And a waste of money if you ask me as you have to find the bike or parts its on before you can do anything!

Spend the money on chains and locks :-)

At the very least, get a set of datatag / alphadot stickers to put on display, as it should help deter a few. We've fitted datatag to all our bikes, it does take time, (a few hours to complete the job normally) as you'll want to put a few dots on each bit of plastic/component you can easily take off the bike. Almost all insurers will account for it too, so it'll help lower insurance costs slightly. :wink:

However if money was tight, i'd get the stickers, and then spend my money on a mobile tracker.

One of these for example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Realtime-Tracking ... 19c4b7ba52

That way if your bike is stolen it can be easily found, (as long as you get onto it as soon as possible. (before they strip the bike (if they are that way inclined))

And one of these trackers (couldn't find the correct ebay item) also has the function to remotely turn off your bikes engine. (Hidden switch unit in the ignition feed is my guess).

Glad to see someone is taking security seriously! :cheers:

Professionally fitted , Data-tag etches your lights and mirrors with a code and fits transponders, mine has 5, to the major parts of the bike. It was already done when I bought mine so I just had to register the change of owner. If you have stickers without the etching any thief knows you just have stickers. Not sure how efficient the Police are with the transponder readers but one wave of the reader over the bike will bring up a name and address. If that's not you then the explaining begins. This works even if the bike has been broken and sold for parts.

A noisy alarm and a good chain and lock system is always a good idea. 8-)

Hi all, I'm looking for some advice on which security system to add to a Kawasaki ER-6F I'm seriously thinking about buying.

I use the factory fitted steering lock, a £5 disc lock from Aldi and an insurance policy.

I only use the steering lock if I am parking up for a few minutes some where safe, just to stop kids trying to wheel it away. Otherwise I dont bother as its security effect is very limited, but cost of repair can be quite high.

Outside the house mine is chained to a ground anchor with a disc lock as well.

Glasgow and Paisley have parking bays with railings specifically to chain your bike to, so I have a shorter chain for that.

I went for a hefty chain which I leave attached to the fence in the work carpark, that way I dont have to lug it about with me and a Xena XN18 disc lock for if I have to leave it anywhere else. To be fair she really only goes from the lock up to work and back at the moment so dont really have a need for anything more serious

I only use the steering lock if I am parking up for a few minutes some where safe, just to stop kids trying to wheel it away. Otherwise I dont bother as its security effect is very limited, but cost of repair can be quite high.

Outside the house mine is chained to a ground anchor with a disc lock as well.

Glasgow and Paisley have parking bays with railings specifically to chain your bike to, so I have a shorter chain for that.

Thanks for all your replies. I'll be using my Oxford Hardcore chain and lock overnight when the bike is garaged so fingers crossed all should be well. When I'm out and about I'll be using my Oxford disc lock.

The other stuff, such as Alphadot and Datatool are secondary safeguards which I'm hoping will also bring down my insurance premium by a few quid.

Throttled, I'm buying the bike from MCS in Renfrew. Where did you get yours?

you could get a datatool snitcher, 3 wire fitting,sensitivity can be adjusted, if the bike is touched you get an immediate text message to your mobile,so you can catch them in the act and have a word with,em, if your miles away or abroad the bike can be traced by G.P.S. via the snitcher,s on board sim card,.. :cheers: