Bank theft

cruz

If when you give to a registered charity you believe that all or most of that money goes to help the less fortunate then think on this.

We Bank through the Lloyds Bank and I want to make you aware of their disgraceful profiteering attitude.

The Lloyds Bank have informed me (Despite our account with them being registered as a charity and using our registered charity number, ) that because of the generosity of the public, the turnover of our account is more than £50k they consider us not to be a charity but a small business and intend to charge us an average of £50 per month. So instead of all the donations being given to those in need, they will siphon off about £600 per year for their profits.

This is not the charity that I give many 100's of hours to but another, I have checked with my own Treasurer and it is confirmed to be true. My treasurer is working on a way around this if it is possable.

So the bWankers have driven us into ressession, been bailed out by us the taxpayer, continued to pay bonuses and are now going to cream off money given by taxpayers to help the less fortunate.

This will affect all charities.

I make no apologies for this rant even to those who frequent The Branch forum and have seen it there.

Business needs to make profit, that I can see. But this is greed from those who don't care about others.

The Lloyds Bank have informed me (Despite our account with them being registered as a charity and using our registered charity number, ) that because of the generosity of the public, the turnover of our account is more than £50k they consider us not to be a charity but a small business and intend to charge us an average of £50 per month. So instead of all the donations being given to those in need, they will siphon off about £600 per year for their profits.[/color]

This will be due to the hundreds of "registered charity" operators that pay a fortune to their collectors, most of whom arrive in the area daily in the back of a white van and stand around in the town centres rattling their bucket full of cash. Most of these seem to operate out of Essex and Lancs, but seem to cover the country.

The ones that used to work my home town weekly always claimed to be supporting the local Special Care Baby Unit. Lies. Total crap. I checked regularly. Which was pretty easy since I was a trustee of the charity. :evil:

Hardly surprising then that the banks are getting wise and imposing charges on these operators. That said, it shouldn't disadvantage legitimate charities.

Make an appointment to see the manager and explain the situation to him. If he doesn't override the imposition of charges, change bank.

Complain to the banking ombudsman, details of which your bank are obliged to give you :thumb:

You can't approach the ombudsman unless and until the bank have investigated and rejected a complaint, which is why I suggested an appointment at the bank in the first instance.

To be honest though, the ombudsman is unlikely to be able to do much, since it's not a case of maladministration so outside his remit.

Still think an approach to the bank is the way to go.

This may bit off the track, but with something like this I'm sure it should be quite easy.

You can start a e-petitions on the downing street website: epetitions.direct.gov.uk/index.html

all you need is a 100,000 signatures for it to be debated in the house of commons, and even if you manage to get them to reverse your individual case, maybe it should be brought up anyway for other charities that are legitimate as well.

As it involve banks and ripping off charities, a facebook campaign would probably see this number jump quite quick.

I've not done anything like this before but would be happy to help where possible.

creaming money off legitimate charities is despicable and i'm unfortunately not at all surprised that they're doing this.

i don't think i'd bother with the ombudsman or the bank manager - i'd just ask a couple of other banks, see who would give the best terms and shift the account.

sod lloyds. i was with them and left because of dreadful service and high charges. i'm more than happy with my current bank, and haven't regretted leaving the lloyds/tsb monster for a minute.

They could likely form legislation that stops crooks setting up fake charities, but there is money to be made here and they know it!

Banks can't do that. YET! :shock:

When I said form, I was trying to imply help from the gov :thumb:

I knew of loads of charities near me that were fake. The best one I saw was a kid at age 11 handing out leaflets for saving pandas that he took from a local news agents and asked for donations with a genuine looking donation sheet.

He raked it in to say the least and never got caught as they got their leaflet and had no reason to doubt him. Crazy stuff!

I knew of loads of charities near me that were fake. The best one I saw was a kid at age 11 handing out leaflets for saving pandas that he took from a local news agents and asked for donations with a genuine looking donation sheet.

He raked it in to say the least and never got caught as they got their leaflet and had no reason to doubt him. Crazy stuff!

I mean the ones that operate teams of collectors spread out over a number of counties on a daily basis. They are raking in millions from unsuspecting members of the public. Type "essex charity scam" into Google. Roger Cook (remember him?) exposed a few of them on his TV show, and I believe Watchdog have done similar.

As I said its hardly surprising that LloydsTsb are imposing charges on these "charities", but at a guess they will recognise the charitable status of "proper" charities. Which is why I said right at the top, contact the bank in the first instance.

I remember it from watchdog. That was on a massive scale, and at the end of the day this charge will probably still have them laughing. It's the unfortunate situation where they bring in enough monthly that the charge matters very little to them whereas it damages what goes on in genuine charities.

I think there is little we can do about it aside from legislation being brought in so charities have to prove that they are sending funds to the places they claim. Though the investigation costs will again have to be recouped by the genuine charities. What a wonderful world! :lol:

It doesn't even make sense that there should be ANY bank charges for ANYONE for putting too much through the account. THey should be paying the account holder for lending them their money .

One thing always baffles me is they make billions in profit then have to make people redundant to save costs :?

hehe... those are the same guys that speculate on food. If they're okay with starving thousands of people to death then i doubt they give a hoot about someone's job.

Guest Spire

Lloyds are not trying to rip you off

They have different types off account for none profit making organisations.

http://www.lloydstsbbusiness.com/community/index.asp

The basic issue you have is that your charity has a large amount of donations. These transactions although charitable still cost the bank to operate the account. Given the large amounts of money involved not surprisingly they want to pass these costs on to the organisation.

Clearly you want to minimise or avoid these costs altogether. So as has already been advised, shop around to find a better deal elsewhere or operate the account within the limits to keep it cost free and open another account elsewhere and split your funds accordingly.

Banks are businesses. Yes they are in it to make money. But then so is every other business. There is nothing wrong with that. Just deal with them as a business and stop expecting them to do you any favours.

I did mention that business need to make money in my OP

Business needs to make profit, that I can see. But this is greed from those who don't care about others.

My point is that when someone places any amount of their hard earned money into any charity tin/box they may not be aware that some of what they give goes to prop up the banks. I often ask small businesses to donate goods or services to my chosen charity and most if they can quite freely do so. They are not multi billion £/$ companies with massive profits, nor will they get a public bailout if through their own failings they go to the wall.

I am a Member of a Branch of The Legion, we collect money on behalf of The Poppy Appeal and need to bank it in order to send it on to The Poppy Appeal. The last few years we have raised in excess of £50k each year, these monies are not kept in the account all year but this means a turnover of over 50k. So We as a Branch get charged for it, we send this money to The Legion throughout the year and they deposit it in a bank and they get charged for it.

It is not me that is being ripped off but the child who gives £1 of his pocket money for a Poppy in November and the former Serviceman who is sat there unable to work in a wheelchair with missing limbs.

They are the ones being ripped off !

It is not me that is being ripped off but the child who gives £1 of his pocket money for a Poppy in November and the former Serviceman who is sat there unable to work in a wheelchair with missing limbs.

And if the bank didn't charge, then all their other customers would be contributing, unwittingly, to a plethora of charities that they may not want to donate to.

[Tongue-in-cheek]

And anyway, poor Lloydstsb posted massive losses again today.... the taxpayer can't afford to support charities :shock:

[/Tongue-in-cheek]