Fuel for older bikes ?

polecat

For a 1978 honda should I be running it on unleaded fuel or should I be adding something to componsate for the lack of lead ?

I am a little concerned as it seems to get quiet hot and a guy said it is cos I am using the wrong fuel (unleaded)

Can anybody clear this up for me :)

Many Thanks :cheers:

never heard of anyone havin probs with older bikes and using unleaded fuel... i use unleaded as it is and no problems... mind you it is a 2 stroke and they of course dont have valves... a lad along my block rides an 81 suzuki and has no problems with unleaded either... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Most Jap bikes from the early 70's, and most certainly Hondas, were manufactured to run on unleaded fuel. In this respect, the Japanese were far in advance of europe. Your 'guy' clearly doesn't know what he's talking about, if your bike is running ok, then it's not overheating, just doing what most air cooled engines do, getting warm.

I had a Honda CD175 in 1975 which ran on unleaded no problems....so I think you are OK. Normally lead was only added to fuel for high compression engines to stop pre-ignition (pinking). As above, the Jap bikes from the early 70's were tuned to run on unleaded.

What Bob said. Only need leaded fuel in high comp engines and ones without hardened valve seats or where valves seal directly in cylinder head and not in a steel insert that has been fitted to an alloy head. Older car engines need additives or Octane boosters because of the valve and sometimes fuel pump problems. Some modified high compression road bikes need octane booster added to unleaded to prevent pre ignition. An old Honda 250 will not need leaded fuel. Check your ignition timing??? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: