racism

mealexme

What also pishes me off is that we cannot call a blackboard a BLACKboard anymore, but it is perfectly acceptable to have a WHITEboard - WTF?

Who can't?

To my mind, the only reason the term has dropped out of use is that there aren't any any longer due to everywhere having whiteboards. There are many legitimate companies using blackboard as a name and the only references to it being racist seem to be concentrated on forums where no one cites qualified examples.

There was a news article recently on black football managers. It really made me cross. I want someone to run a club who knows how it works and how to win, not because of some stupid ethnic diversity policy that insists the person has to fulfill the following gender and racial creditials. I have never heard of people complaining that there are too many black footballers in the leagues because there is an overrepresentation of the population or that the 100m sprint should be curtailed to be more non-descriminatory.

There is a huge difference between discrimnation and racism which our country mixes up all the time.

It is totally racist to say "I do not want a black to run my football club". It is not racist or the slightest bit wrong to say that all the black would-be managers who put there CV in for a managerial position were rubbish and not as good as the white guy who eventually got the job if that was indeed the case. The wannabe managers have been discriminated on the grounds of their academic/managerial/experience/performance CV, not the colour of their skin!

There is nothing wrong with discrimination, it depends on what grounds that it is for. If a black, gay, disabled, female employee get's extra special treatment on the promotion ladder where I work for being either black, gay, female or disabled then that is disgusting, racist and outrageous to me and offensive. People with ethnic diversities don't get preferential treatment, they get equal treatment.

The trouble is employers in this country and (rightly) are scared stiff of being sued because of our stupid legal system that promotes and encourages everyone who isn't the average to believe they are being vitimised.

What also pishes me off is that we cannot call a blackboard a BLACKboard anymore, but it is perfectly acceptable to have a WHITEboard - WTF?

On my social work degree coure, our online message board was called BLACKBOARD... nobody bothered :)

On my social work degree coure, our online message board was called BLACKBOARD... nobody bothered :)

Same here at my uni, nobody has said anything to my knowledge

That's because it's media bs trying to spin thing's out of proportion.

Maybe I am wrong with the blackboard thing, but I thought I had heard / seen that come in to force a number of years ago and they were saying it should be called a chalkboard. Probably at a similar time to when they said they were no longer allowing kids to sing "Ba ba black sheep".

the worst thing is the police force who dont recruit based on ability to do the job but on where they can fill the pigeonhole for different backgrounds. my brother applied thinking it would be a good career and he was offered the job without propper interview just because he is gay and they have to fullfil a quota. needless to say he said no as he didnt want to be the token gay guy. that is wrong in my view, but that is how they have to recruit, only when they have employed the % gay, ethnic section do they look for english white people. :(

Please name and shame that police force. That is a disgrace. I know a number of openly gay police officers in Strathclyde Police and they had to pass the same tests as all other recruits. So not all police forces are the same.

Bex, have you any proof of your last comment as I do not believe it is true what you say. Recruits don't all arrive at once, where you would even be able to start with gay and ethnic officers before moving on to whites.

the only thing i can back the latter of that statement up with is what my brother was told when he applied and the reason he told them to get stuffed. in the waitingroom he was in there was an asian lad and a white guy, and the two that were called in were the gay and the asian and they were both told they would get through no matter what. the white lad was told to work hard and wait for a place. not sure how long he had to wait. that is all i have to back it up.

That sounds like a police force who have a recruitment team who are idiots and need to pander to the politically correct brigade.

I was at school with an asian/scot who applied to join the police and was rejected. He tried to sue claiming racism, but lost as even the sheriff presiding did not hink he would make a good police officer. I agree, he would not have made a good police officer and was totally unsuited to the role.

Myth. I work in education, we still refer to blackboards, just as we refer to black cars and blackbirds. Did you read about the ban in the Daily Mail?

As it happens blackboards are no longer used as the associated chalk dust is an irritant.

Why when racism is discussed do people start talking about different skin colours ?

Like Bex I too have been accused of being racist, because of a joke. Yet as a white person born outside the UK but in a Commonwealth Country, of Scottish descent with an English accent and living in Wales. I am expected to accept any number of racist comments without any recourse.

I have forgiven those who made the accusation of racism but will never forget it, as it cut me up as I have many friends of many different races, colours and creeds. I also have gay, lesbian and now gender reassigned friends and I take the p1ss out of them all, this makes me un-PC not a racist.

I believe that the issue is as a Nation we are enforced to be so PC we have forgotten how to have fun and enjoy each others company as just other human beings.

Bex, I believe The City of Bristol Police filled ethnic/minority group quotas first during a particular recruiting period.

thats it from a sheepshagging porridge wog with a less fattening centre.

Ligthen up and enjoy life, it's too short

Why when racism is discussed do people start talking about different skin colours ?

Like Bex I too have been accused of being racist, because of a joke. Yet as a white person born outside the UK but in a Commonwealth Country, of Scottish descent with an English accent and living in Wales. I am expected to accept any number of racist comments without any recourse.

I have forgiven those who made the accusation of racism but will never forget it, as it cut me up as I have many friends of many different races, colours and creeds. I also have gay, lesbian and now gender reassigned friends and I take the p1ss out of them all, this makes me un-PC not a racist.

I believe that the issue is as a Nation we are enforced to be so PC we have forgotten how to have fun and enjoy each others company as just other human beings.

I know what you mean - fortunately I only care about what my proper friends think and not a bunch of anonymous internet keyboard PC warriors. :D

Were on the other end of the scale in todays society simply because we started slavery & this is the cross we have to bear for years of abuse.

Blame the forefathers.

Vikings were big slave traders, as were the Romans and didn't Pharoh enslave Moses' people. That gets us back to the bronze age off the top of my head. It's not all our fault. When I was a kid we used to get taught about the British Empire, enlightening the world. :roll:

I had to giggle listening to my Pakistani neighbour moaning about the Polish coming over here and pinching our jobs. He couldn't see the irony.

Vive la difference. 8-)