Advice on brakes

argentum40

Ok the front and rear brakes do work okish but not as well as they should... When the lever is pulled the pads have a 'hard' feel to them.. Would you change the pads all round ( still plenty of meat on em) or replace the fluid all round or maybe both?..

Can pads go 'off' if the bike has been standing for some time?...

thanks lads :)

better explanation of hard??... lol.... ok only other way to explain it would be that it feels like the pads are down to metal but they are not... theres very little squeezability in the lever...

Ah, well as BB3lions said, try removing the rust/contamination. You can do this by using the brakes over and over again or by using fine sand paper and lighly sanding it off the pads (but make sure no sand/glass from the sand paper is still on the pads before fitting them again)

The pads shouldn't need replacing though.

The material on the pads can "glaze" ie they develop a hard shiny surface....which although the brake levers feel right they are not as efficient in stopping you. Just like tyres, pads can deteriorate with age. I'd be inclined to replace them if you have any doubts about them.......brakes are pretty important on a bike as I'm sure you know. If you go down the route of replacing the pads it may be a good opportunity to replace the brake fluid too and also do some maintenance on the calipers as well. None of these jobs are difficult....but will make a big difference to your brake performance...

Bob

Colin yeah i know but these are hard with not alot of stoppin power... i think i will just replace them and at least i know they are new... If i can get the bleed nipples slackened i will replace the fluid as well... What pads would you recommend as the choice is huge out there... I have read somewhere HH sintered pads are best i think... what would you lads use?

get a set of carbone lorraine sbk3 in there you cant go far wrong :D

also if it still has rubber hoses think about replacing them as the perish with age and expand when pressure is applied i would get some braided lines

and chage fluid which you will have to do if you replace lines anyway :)

better explanation of hard??... lol.... ok only other way to explain it would be that it feels like the pads are down to metal but they are not... theres very little squeezability in the lever...

That's as it should be!

If they are soft and squidgy you have air in the system (or the brake lines are bulging) and the brakes won't work as effectively.

Got Carbone Lorraine pads on my ZZR1400 and they are good stuff.

If the bike is the 1990 CBR600F in your signature and it has rubber lines on then I would suggest you change them as they are probably the originals. Although this in theory would not create a hard feeling in the brakes but would in fact make them spongy as the lines would be expanding under pressure from you pulling the lever.

If concerned about the brakes then probably best to renew the fluid as well if you dont know when it was last replaced. The fluid does not cost a lot but the bleeding of the brakes can sometimes be time consuming and a pain in the ass sometimes, so be prepared for that.