Brake Upgrade

inversteve

Hi everyone,

I have a Yamaha FZS Fazer 600 2001 and would like advise on upgrading brakes.

Compared to my gf's 03 plate Fazer my brakes are useless with the rear being very weak.

My plan would be to replace the lines and all the seals and fit new rear pads (old ones still have life)

All in should cost from Ebay-Lines 67, seals 37, pads 14

Have had bike now for two years and don't know when lines or seals were last replaced.

So would the the above be a good idea or any other suggestions.

Thanks

When was the fluid last changed?

If you don't know then the first thing I would do is replace it as your supposed to every two years

Brake fluid is hygroscopic which means it will absorb moisture from the atmosphere

and it made no difference?

might be time for an overhaul then

replace with braided hoses if your not thinking of it already if the calipers arent leaking fluid you should get away with stripping the calipers and cleaning them up and using the seals already in there, the dust seals (outer ones) take all the brunt so check these out

if you can afford to have the bike off the road for a week or two strip the calipers and check them out before ordering parts :)

and remember to use DOT4 brake fluid not any other

look for some sintered pads carbone lorraine SBK3's are good :)

If you're not losing fluid , then the seals are fine. If the lever is firm then there's no air in the system. Check the general condition of everything. The discs may be worn , warped or scored. The pads may be contminated. The calipers may be sticking

The brakes on the later bike may just be better because they were upgraded, better calipers with more pots, larger surface area pads, bigger discs. Check the spec to make sure you're not trying to get more out of yours than they are capable of giving.

Braided hoses will give a firmer feel due to not expanding under pressure. 8-)

That fazer is fitted with R1 brakes of the era so the calipers should be fine, i wouldnt really want the back to be too keenas it can cause poroblems I know someone who had braided hoses on the back and he ended up locking the rear wheel all the tine one time he slid through a junction, it soesnt need to be to severe, some dont use it at all, personally I dont use mine much as generally if i hit it hard the abs kicks in anyway.

I was terrified how bad brakes are on a TDM850 after I had the Fazer. Had a look closely and two pistons in the right caliper were seized :shock: And I haven't looked at the left one yet. Maybe that's the problem in your case. Or maybe they were not bled properly, I recall reading about Fazer calipers being a pig to bleed...

Bleed kit with one way valve... Open the bleed valve and pump away and refil the reservoir as you go :thumb:

Do it until you have bled out clear, new and bubble free fluid and then one more top up of the reservoir and you are there.

What condition is the master cylinder in? I like the rebuild these with rebuild kits from time to time. If it's not working very well then you won't have much pressure in the line.

How old are the lines as they should be replaced when needed or every 4 years?

But if you do an overhaul do everything so you know its reset back to its absolute best. So master cylinder rebuild kit, new braided lines, strip and clean the calipers, new seals and reassemble with only fluid left to bleed through :thumb: