WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!

mealexme

Ok, this is not me, but a friend... Or some other reason that lets me get away with posting a bike doing 90 on public roads.

But basically it was running fine. Running up to 105mph at which point my friend thought that those speeds weren't appropriate and slowed down. Another hour or so of riding at between 70-90 on various roads and suddenly it starts to loose power whilst accelerating up to 90mph, it splutters like its running out of fuel but it was topped up before the bike was taken out. so they pull over and check the rear wheel (thought it may have gone flat or something) All was fine so set off. a couple of minutes later, hit 90mph and it starts cutting out again until it literally cuts out and doesnt start again. I told him it might be because of a vacuum in the fuel tank. Its not, as it cuts out when the tank is open. Oil is full. Actually over full, could this be a problem? At first he thought it was something happening at 90mph, but he rode to the end of the street and it cut out... And then cut out again whilst doing 30. I will put a vids of it happening (lucky he had his trusty cam on) but it was fine for a good hour, and now it wont even go as far as the end of the road :s

It seems to turn itself off too. Watch out for the revs dropping and the red oil light coming on, this means the engine has cut out

These may take a while to upload, but I have put the link up. Any help would be much appreciated!

">

There are others, and one with it cutting off with the fuel cap off

Can watch the video now, can't make out the needles too clearly. I would strip the carbs, clean the air filter and put new plugs in. Isnt it still under warranty if you bought from a dealer?

double click it to see it on youtube, then change the quality to 1080p and watch on a bigger screen, then you can see the needles.

Outside temperature was f*cking warm! I was sweating, and now its doing it at low speeds, and when I just start the bike sometimes it will stall straight away. I went out and bought some carb cleaner, so we will see if it does the trick tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys, I have been so gutted, only managed just over 80 miles on it today :(

To put that in perspective, I did just over 100 miles in the whole day I first got the 125, and the 80 mlies on the bandit was done in a couple of hours, so I think I would have done a good couple of hundered today if I had the chance. Really wanted to go to paignton to see the sea

Give it a few tank fulls it may clear could just be crap fuel

I would be interested to see if it did it without the restrictor kit fitted to be honest not that I would recommend you do it!

When a bike suddenly starts to run rough at the higher speed band,, like the rider said,, it feels like it's run out of power,,,,,,, Why do people always start with the Carb's as being the problem,,, go for the easy option & most times the cause of a sudden loss of power,,, Change the Plugs,, at higher speed the engine runs a lot hotter & a plug running at higher temperature & greater compression, if the plug fails & only produces a weak or intermittent spark,,, then the a bike will run as you describe,,,, it's a lot easier to change plugs before you start stripping card's down,,, :wink:

That's partially true roadtorque....but if a plug was breaking down as this is an in-line 4 you'd expect it to just misfire on 1 cylinder.....not cut out completely. Same with the carbs.....4 carbs all block at the same time....mmmmm? I'd go with total fuel starvation.....blocked fuel filter or a problem with the Fuel tap...is it vacuum operated? Check the vacuum line...has it got a kink in it.....or a hole? Or the fuel tap itself....maybe the diaphragm has a hole or is damaged. Can you run it on the Prime position?

The other alternative is electrical......dodgy Run Switch....dodgy sidestand switch.....loose or corroded connections to the ignition circuit......CDI unit?

Difficult to diagnose from a distance....but that's the sort of thinking I'd be using.... :wink:

Our broadband connection is mega-slow tonight...so I can't even view your vid......but from what I saw the hazards and neutral light came on....so not a total electrical failure..... :wink:

That's partially true roadtorque....but if a plug was breaking down as this is an in-line 4 you'd expect it to just misfire on 1 cylinder.....not cut out completely. Same with the carbs.....4 carbs all block at the same time....mmmmm? I'd go with total fuel starvation.....blocked fuel filter or a problem with the Fuel tap...is it vacuum operated? Check the vacuum line...has it got a kink in it.....or a hole? Or the fuel tap itself....maybe the diaphragm has a hole or is damaged. Can you run it on the Prime position?

The other alternative is electrical......dodgy Run Switch....dodgy sidestand switch.....loose or corroded connections to the ignition circuit......CDI unit?

Difficult to diagnose from a distance....but that's the sort of thinking I'd be using.... :wink:

Our broadband connection is mega-slow tonight...so I can't even view your vid......but from what I saw the hazards and neutral light came on....so not a total electrical failure..... :wink:

I have to take the tank off to get to all the plugs anyway I think. I cant even take the lead off with the tank on, let alone get tools in there! So I will check the plugs when I check the air filter and clean the carbs. May also see if I can find the fuel filter. I presume its in the fuel lines somewhere haha. I would guess just follow the lead from tthe tank

I have to take the tank off to get to all the plugs anyway I think. I cant even take the lead off with the tank on, let alone get tools in there! So I will check the plugs when I check the air filter and clean the carbs. May also see if I can find the fuel filter. I presume its in the fuel lines somewhere haha. I would guess just follow the lead from tthe tank

It could be almost anything!

I'd go for crappy fuel myself!

fill it up with fresh and see what happens.

I was thinking this, but I want to take the tank off first, because if I do that but if it fails it means that I'm going to have to take the tank off anyway, but then it would be a full tank!

So that is already on my list of things to do if all else fails. Thanks for the input though

so come on what had you done wrong

Right, let me start from the beginning and try not to make myself friend sound like too much of a retard...

So, when he first got the bike out he rode it to the petrol station before getting tax. It was under one bar on the gauge when he rode it down there. Filled up, got tax and rode 80 miles before it cut out. Then rode it another 15 miles after before it refused to start. So his thoughts were

oil - checked it against the glas, it was fine.

petrol - wouldnt run out in 80 miles and had no petrol leak

Thought it must be something clogged... Anyway, he found out about some magic fluid today. You put it in the bike and say abera cadabera and it starts!

He thinks its called fetral, or pertol or something... :oops: *hangs head in shame* I dont think he's ready for a big bike lmao. In his defence, it was still showing one bar on the gauge, he had only done 80 miles (tank will hold over 100) and it ran for 15 miles wheras if it was empty he thought it would stop and not start again, not stop and get him back up to 90!...

Laugh it up! (and i'm sure you will, ya big bullies). But I dont care, he has a bike running sweeet as a nut, tyres that stick like glue and some of the best biking roads in the freekin world!