Rear brake pad pin

Ingah

Can't get the pad pin out of my Brembo rear brake caliper. It's one of those you have to use a punch to force it through (after taking out the R-pin of course), and i've been bending the punch trying whilst its still mounted to the (already-warped) disc. Obviously it'll be easier when i can remove the caliper from the bike and really lay into it, but anyone got any extra tips ahead of time, bar the use of PlusGas every so often on the days leading up to having another bash at it?

Guest Hodgy

Is there room to get a small pair of Mole grips onto the bar, between the pads? If so, you could try giving it a wiggle, see if you can break the rust that must be sealing it in.

When replacing it, a smear of coppaslip will help stop it sticking in future :thumb:

• 1 month later...
Heat and cold helps. Worth checking if there is another clip stopping it coming out.?

Thanks for the tip on mine Megawatt I used plumbers freeze then hot shocked it several times.

Just be careful with calipers, I have found out myself the hard way how easy it is to break an ali caliper trying to get a steel pin out. Don't hit it too hard. Penetrating oil applied lots over time is the safest!

:stupid:

they are only cast and easily break

I know this is an old ish thread and the OP is already sorted

but for future reference remove caliper and drop the lot in a sealed bag with lots of WD40 inside and leave for a day

You are talking to a landrover mechanic here, hammers START at 6lb, anything less is just a stick!

:lol: I know that feeling! having worked on a 1972 landrover lightweight for the last 10 years!

:stupid:

they are only cast and easily break

I know this is an old ish thread and the OP is already sorted

but for future reference remove caliper and drop the lot in a sealed bag with lots of WD40 inside and leave for a day

Yep pretty much did this, only used PlusGas rather than WD40. And then hit it hard with a hammer and punch again, on the floor.