Car insurers refuse to cover mobile phone offenders

iiisecondcreep

Seen on Yahoo! news :D

Some of the UK’s largest car insurers are refusing to cover motorists caught using their phones at the wheel, new research shows.

As part of a crackdown on drivers caught texting or calling without the use of hands-free kits, insurers are imposing premiums by up to 32% and in some cases outright refusing to cover – even for first time offenders.

Research from AA revealed that three of eight insurers refused to quote for a sample mobile phone offender, while other insurers bumped up fees by an average 20%. That rate is 10% above the average increase speeders face, despite the two offences attracting the same fine and three points on your licence.

“Insurers rightly treat drivers caught using a hand-held mobile phone very seriously,” said Simon Douglas, director of AA Insurance. “The point is, it is a deliberate act. Many drivers may accidentally drift over a 30mph limit without immediately realising it. But no-one accidentally makes or answers a call or text, it is completely unacceptable”.

Completely agree. I am on the road all day and see it everywhere, Worstthing though is the new wave of people on facebook while driving, Should be shot! Driving along holding there little touch screens up to their faces.

i had a taxi driver swerve across 3 lanes and nearly hit me. reason? talking on his phone. I wound down my window and told him to get off the thing before he kills someone.

"it was on hands free fellah!"

no mate, it was on speaker - holding it an inch from your mouth hardly constitutes "hands free!"

REALLY gets my goat people using their phones. THere are so many occasions where bumps happen because of people being on the phone, but yet the police 'still have nothing better to do with their time' than give people tickets for using them.

Good

Don't use the fecking thing. No excuses

+1

I've nearly been rear-ended on the bike at a set of lights because the f**king idiot was on his mobile. I got off and nearly punched his side window through. He looked at me like ... :shock:

Looks like the only way to enforce it. It worked with drink driving. I hope it stamps it out. It is very distracting and I'm sure it contributes to many incidents.

Not really enforcement people still drink and drive but maybe more of a detterent to some than the current penalty,thats assuming many get caught anyway, seems the hardest thing is actually the enforcement part.

I reckon a car company should come up with some technology which means as soon as the phone is detected within a certain distance of the car, it disables it. That way, the phone can no longer be used in the car. Some cars have this kind of thing with keys, which means you cannot lock your keys in your car, just do the same thing with a phone. Possible reduction in insurance premiums if you have this fitted to the car?

I understand that some people require a phone for business, but I still think that having a hands free does not make the problem any better. It is not the holding of the phone that is distracting (you can sip a drink and drive no problem) it is the actual process and concentration required to have a meaningful conversation. Hands free will not help with this.

It is also not safe to pull over and have the conversation, becuase people are still distracted due to looking for the nearest place that they can stop.

As for facebook whilst driving... This is the point when faith in human nature hits a low...

I've had hands free phones in my company cars for over 20 years now and never had any incident while using the hands free. If you took this argument to its extreme then passengers should not talk to the driver......not really practical.... :wink: I regularly see drivers having animated conversations with their passengers....with lots of arm waving, looking around, etc.

But if my hands free is not working then I will ignore the phone and return the call when I arrive at my destination or a suitable stopping place. I'll never pick the phone up while driving........both hands on the wheel unless changing gear or likewise...... :wink:

I agree Bob!

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that phones should not be used, there are other things that we do when driving - changing CD's, lighting cigarettes etc that are small distractions.

Do we say that these things aren't allowed either???

Yes we do.

We either accept that there are general distractions for the average car driver which may or may not result in accidents, or we make sure that there are no distractions what so ever.

Unfortunatley , the law is generally a case of you either can, or can not do something. As soon as grey areas are introduced, you simply have to accept that its not going to be completley effective (if anything is ever completley effective)

I don't really see how holding the phone while talking is any more distracting than using a hands free system. Of course, there are drivers who can quite happily use the phone while driving. The distraction is relative, what may be distracting to one person, may not be distracting for another. But we cant have laws for one person, and not others.

I don't really see how holding the phone while talking is any more distracting than using a hands free system. Of course, there are drivers who can quite happily use the phone while driving. The distraction is relative, what may be distracting to one person, may not be distracting for another. But we cant have laws for one person, and not others.

I think that the bit the Law is interested in is not distractions but not being in complete control of the vehicle because you don't have both hands on the wheel.....at least that is my interpretation of it anyway..... :)

Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that phones should not be used, there are other things that we do when driving - changing CD's, lighting cigarettes etc that are small distractions.

They are already not allowed, if doing them means that you are not in complete control of your vehicle.

They are already not allowed, if doing them means that you are not in complete control of your vehicle.

But not against the law so therefore allowed.

I've had hands free phones in my company cars for over 20 years now and never had any incident while using the hands free. If you took this argument to its extreme then passengers should not talk to the driver......not really practical.... :wink: I regularly see drivers having animated conversations with their passengers....with lots of arm waving, looking around, etc.

But if my hands free is not working then I will ignore the phone and return the call when I arrive at my destination or a suitable stopping place. I'll never pick the phone up while driving........both hands on the wheel unless changing gear or likewise...... :wink:

In Scotland case law resulted in the police having to evidence seeing the person talking whilst holding the phone and not just holding the phone. But it the holding the phone rather than the talking that is the problem. If you take your hand off the steering wheel to change radio channel you do not have anything in your hand and can return it to the wheel quicker than if you have something in your hand like a mobile.

The law should have been to prevent people holding a mobile whilst driving, so forcing people to buy hands free kits. I think this new deterrent is a good one.

Sadly even the threat of having your car seized and crushed is still not stopping some drink drivers.

I find it odd and uncomfatable to have both hands on the wheel while driving so i dont as stated its probably due to having something in your hand does seem strange smoking is ok as dropping a fag would be worse.

But not against the law so therefore allowed.

It is an offence to not be in proper control of a motor vehicle. This can be, changing CD's, eating, playing with satnav.

Fixed penalty, 3 points and £60 fine.