OK,

So after getting drenched (again) on the run up t'Rally I really do need to get myself a rain suit.

Nowthen, the big question - What is available which is really rain PROOF? e.g., my FT boots are 'waterproof' but let the rain in! My gloves are 'waterproof' but get sodden! My Textiles are '100% waterproof' but still I get very wet (I even had to buy some extra underwear so as I could go dry {combat was NOT an option! :shock: } - Thanks for getting those for me Cat).

I would be nice to arrive dry at a destination so, let me know what is best (which really works).

:cheers:

my heine gerick over suit is totally waterproof and cost a fiver from the BMF. i use it in downpours to give my water"proof" textiles a sporting chance. fairly sure that most of the oversuits offer similar protection.

my alpinestars gloves are prop 97.3% waterproof but came at a premium. i used to use deisel gloves from petrol station over the top of my old gloves, it works. my alpinestars gortex boots are also waterproof.

either that or you can always wrap your spare clean underwear in a bin bag like everyone else :up:

you can always wrap your spare clean underwear in a bin bag like everyone else :up:

Did that but only enough for a daily change - swapping out of my 'wet' ones meant I was a pair short and, if it had rained on t'saturday ride-out, I would have been left with only 1 clean pair for two days!

I'll look into the HG kit as per your recommendation - Thanks.

Put carrier bags round your feet in your boots too

he did. but i think that had more to do with him worrying about his piss bag leaking and filling his boots whilst in the bar :D

Bring more undies!!

My very cheap Lewis textile trousers were completely waterproof as were my cheap (£5) Triumph gloves and Triumph textile Jacket (£35) bought from BMF about 6 years ago. My Sidi Rain boot's (not cheap) let the water in a bit though - not as bad as my old boots last year though. They had about an inch of water in them by the time I got to last year's rally.

Pot-luck I think - they should let us test before we buy :mrgreen:

You may laugh but when I was a fencer (the back garden kind not the sword time) they bought us trawler waterproofs, they were horrific to work in as they wouldn't let water in but they wouldn't let sweat out, so you ended up just as drenched as if you hadn't worn them, they were brilliant for the bike though, get em a few sizes too big and they would slip over your gear no problem.

After four days of constant rain in wales a couple of weeks ago, my hein gericke textile trousers and my five year old spada jacket didn't let in a drop.

my boots are daytona, and not only did they stay dry, my feet where lovely and warm the whole time. happily recommend the lot :)

the only thing that let me down where my waterproof, brand new hein gericke gloves. they'd not been sewn properly with enough of an overlap on a seam so the seam seperated. the shop changed them with no arguments at all, so i'm happy enough. johnny gloves under my normal summer gloves where almost as warm

Guest Hodgy

Gore Tex lined gear is the best at keeping water out, Hein Gericke Gore Tex gear is particularly good, plus if you do have a problem and it leaks within 2 years, they will replace it no hassle, it does come at a price though.

I bought some Hein Gericke trousers at the BMF this year (£40) and they were good on the ride up on Friday....didn't let a drop of water in. My secondhand Belstaff jacket was good too.....only the cuffs on my fleece underneath got a little wet.....but that was down to my Spada waterproof gloves giving up the ghost before we got as far as Melton Mowbray.... :roll:

The Sidi Black Rain Evo's (like Bonniebirds) were pretty good.....slightly damp on the toes of my socks...but I've not G-waxed them for a year now....so I think that would probably help.... 8-)

I have a pair of RST overtrousers which are thick plastic, although still comfortable and not at all bulky, they don't let a single drop of water through. I would imagine that RST do an overjacket too, which will be similarly waterproof.

Defo taking some advice off this thread as I foolishly wore my kevlar jeans (no waterproofs) to the rally and riding in them the next day was not pleasant...moist bot! :oops: :stupid:

What you need in an Altura cycling jacket. Not sure if they are still going, but worth a look. I got one for £40 years ago when I was into cycling, and it was great then. Got my injury, and then the jacket went in the draw for ages. Wore it with my jacket on a 12 hour trip to london and back in the driving rain, and stayed completley dry. It is also damn good at windproofing. Its a good fit on the bike to, as it is designed for such a position, and is not very bulky so can easily be taken under a seat.

As for trousers, I only ever owned one pair, and they were useless. Then I went for cheap / medium priced waterproof over trousers, and they are better than nothing, but don't rely on them.

A tip my instructor told me if your boots leak. Don't use carrier bags as they have little holes in them. Use the bags that sliced loaves come in, no air holes.

Won't the bread go stale, and won't it taste funny after your trip?http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z28/Colin_the_bear/sick0025.gif

you could make a cheese sandwich without needing any actual cheese!