Oxford Toolkit

I purchased an Oxford Toolkit at the weekend for 12quid, it was a total impulse buy, but I thought Oxford were a good brand, so it would be ideal to keep under the seat of the bike.

I opened it up yesterday to take a look, and wasvery disappointed. Difficult to see from the photos, but the quality is really poor. So much for being “High Quality Carbon Steel” – the pliers look like they have already been used, and the side cutters have damage to the cutting edge, and the little spring designed to make the spring open fell out!

The plastic screwdrivers are really cheap, and the sockets look like they will break if you apply any force.

Cheap tools = poor quality, but I really would have expected better from Oxford…

Then I read the back of the package “Made to the OXFORD design and specification in China from high quality materials”… I wonder why the print the word “China” in bold letters? A warning maybe?

Anyway, sticking it under the seat, hopefully will never need it!

OxfordTools1.jpg.416555dd67f53a76f40b4007da9967d5.jpg

Oxford Tool Kit

OxfordTools2.jpg.ca7af7d0ea2c98561038301ea4bbbd04.jpg

Mad in China....

I supose its really for emergency roadside first aid repairs rather than garage quality tools for major work.

But a brand name like Oxford you expect a level of quality.

I buy cheap tools from Aldi or Lidl, never had a problem with em. Those tools don't look like the sort you would need. I carry.;

Set of combination spanners, some double ended ring spanners, set of Allen keys or just 6, 5 and 4 mm. Philips and straight edge screwdrivers, small mole grips, tie wraps, sticky tape, a few M8 and M6 Allen bolts, nut and washers, plug spanner, C spanner for rear suspension. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I supose its really for emergency roadside first aid repairs rather than garage quality tools for major work.

Exactly! i was planning to add a few other bits and bobs, and sling it under my seat for emergency use only only.

Big let down from Oxford's on the quality front.. basically paid 12 quid for a tool pouch.

I carry.

1 Mobile Phone

1 Breakdown Recovery number

This is my plan!

I do have a tool kit the same as above but motrax and a puncture repair kit too if its a simple job then I will see what I can do otherwise it breakdown recovery

Exactly! i was planning to add a few other bits and bobs, and sling it under my seat for emergency use only only.

Big let down from Oxford's on the quality front.. basically paid 12 quid for a tool pouch.

Why not get in touch with Oxford and express your disappointment? I would if I were you!

"You expected quality product because of the 'name' and it doesn't live up to your expectations etc - will think twice about buying their stuff again and recommending it to others...."

Never know, they might make it up to you! :)

Why not get in touch with Oxford and express your disappointment? I would if I were you!

"You expected quality product because of the 'name' and it doesn't live up to your expectations etc - will think twice about buying their stuff again and recommending it to others...."

Yeah i could, but for the sake of 12 quid, can I be bothered? Its Oxford's loss, not mine as I certainly wont be relaying on their reputation again. They've clearly dropped their standards, and seem to have forgotten entirely about quality control!

Maybe i'll post them a link to this thread and give them the chance to explain.. lets see if they can be bothered to respond..

Well done Boothy, you have made the decision to not be able to fix your bike when it breaks down or doesn't start. Congratulations, you are a genius :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Wont be able to help anyone else out either... if you see another biker stuck at the side of the road, they might just be missing one tool from their kit. if we all carried a few tools, we might save someone else a slow ride home in an AA truck.

Well done Boothy, you have made the decision to not be able to fix your bike when it breaks down or doesn't start. Congratulations, you are a genius :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

does that go for me too? :?

If I was out and the bike broke down I would rather get it home and repair it in the comfort of my huge lock up with decent tools its no fun doing roadside repairs I've been there and done that :?

Yeah i could, but for the sake of 12 quid, can I be bothered? Its Oxford's loss, not mine as I certainly wont be relaying on their reputation again. They've clearly dropped their standards, and seem to have forgotten entirely about quality control!

Maybe i'll post them a link to this thread and give them the chance to explain.. lets see if they can be bothered to respond..

That's a shame, not bothering to at least draw their attention to it. If more people expressed their dissatisfacion then perhaps companies couldn't get away with selling products that aren't up to the job, so to speak.

Ok, you might not be bothered about them making it up to you, but if it stops them selling poor quality products surely that's good?

That's why I have breakdown cover :? They would either take it home or to the garage whichever I decide at the time. Doesn't make much sense to me to carry the kitchen sink around for something that 'might' happen.

Realistically what percentage of break downs are you going to be able to sort out at the roadside with only tools and without getting new parts?

Realistically what percentage of break downs are you going to be able to sort out at the roadside with only tools and without getting new parts?

Not many, but sometimes stuff can come lose, and its handy to have some tools to tighten it back up, or if your fuses are under the seat, and you need an allen key to get to them, might be an idea to at least carry an allen key!

Or would you call the AA man to come and change a fuse?? :lol:

He has done enough to get himself home

Can't argue with that, some people don't want to start trying to fix a bike and no interest in fixing thier bike, so pay for a recovery to come and do it for them.

Or would you call the AA man to come and change a fuse?? :lol:

Mines just a pop up cover thing. And yes I would, pay for it might as well use it :lol:

well having used the AA a few times for my car, i hope you have a better experience than me..

I once had a water leak on my car - just a tiny hole in the top hose that i could have patched up with hose repair tape. I called the AA, waited 2 hours for them to arrive. Eventually someone arrived - not a proper AA man, but a local recovery company. It was dark by this point, the guy didnt have a torch, and when i told him i had a water leak, he took the lid off the screen wash bottler and said "you still have plenty left, why dont you drive home?".. :shock:

At this point i realised what i was dealing with, and polity gave him a lesson on car cooling systems. He then wanted to sit in my car in the oiliest overalls I've ever seen to guide it up the back of his truck. No way that was going to happen!

1hour slow drive home having to listen to his idiotic babbling, I called the AA to complain...

Their adverts brag about fixing 80% of breakdowns at the roadside but that's only if they send a properly trained AA man, and not some local hill-billy recovery truck driver, so don't expect the AA or any other recovery company to be your 'knight in shining armour' and save you at the roadside.. its certainly not been my experience!

As for the water hose, i taped it up with repair tape, topped up with coolant, and drove the car until the new hose arrived. 5min job to replace 8-)

Guest philgale

sod trying to repair it at the roadside, one i wouldn't know how to and 2 can't be arsed. would rather call the RAC go for a brew then get them to fix it or recover me home job done.

I have called the AA out when i left my heated grips on all day, my sv didn't have them linked to the ignition, called them up and my brother turned up in his AA van i went to get some brews and left him too it, had a chat while it was charging then went home...easy

When I got the blade first thing I did was remove tool kit and use the space for the disc lock.

My bike goes wrong it gets sorted by a proffesional, I am not, never will be and have no intention of being, breakdown is cheap incase of emergencies, if people want to fiddle that's upto them or buy a more reliable bike :)