Knee protection

Darlings!

Moo is after some hardcore knee protection since my accident, hoping to be back on The Beast within a month! The knee protection within my quality seconds trousers I bought at the BMF convention were just squidgy soft armour (like this http://www.getgeared.co.uk/HELD_D3O_Motorcycle_CE_Knee_Armour_Pair ), not particularly amazing but likely saved my knee getting royally smashed up.

Does anyone have any experience with more decent knee protection they wouldn't mind sharing their advice with please? Maybe motocross people or just anyone that has above average knee protection for whatever reason... All I know is I would like:

> separate knee protection to wear under my protective trousers

> something decent that will absorb any impact, covering the sides of knee, not just front

> hinged in some way so I can bend my knee comfortably and wear comfortably every day (used to bike 6/7 days a week)

> I don't wanna buy off eBay! :mrgreen:

I don't want new trousers really cos I like my current pair, they're not damaged at all, just v light scuff on knee. I also don't have a big variety of places in Cambridge to try new biker trousers, and I like being able to wear shorts/my own jeans under my trousers so I can shove em in my backpack and go out without full biker gear on :thumb:

I am willing to spend up to £100 - I've seen online you can buy motocross knee protection for up to £500!! Obv that's a tad extreme for me haha. There's just so much choice and I'm not really sure what to go for. I'm not planning on crashing again, I just have a weaker knee that won't be happy to take normal impact as it is and I will feel a lot happier biking knowing I am better protected.

Thanks in advance :up:

I've never used these, but I do have a Forcefield back protector which I find is excellent, so I imagine these would also be good....

http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.com/product/limb-tube-knee-protector/2357

Hmm, they don't look like they'd offer much of the support I need tbh, thanks though!

I've seen these, not sure if they'd be too buulky for under my biker trousers. Look the b*llocks tho haha: http://www.racespec.co.uk/acatalog/Alpinestars_MX_Knee_Guards.html. V little information on the support they offer tho - I mean yeah they look strong, but is there impact absorbtion stuff in them aswell, padding, are they comfortable to wear every day? Hmmm....

I have a v delicate knee that could do with some fairly hardcore support tbh. It'll be well over a year til it's back to normal, need a second op yet that I won't be having til likely after October, maybe even next year dependng on my hubby & I's work situation at the time.

i use the forcefield tube knee protectors, and they are very comfortable, and will stay in place in the event of an off.

But... to me, it sounds as though you're after something more like a knee brace, for which i really doubt you will ever get something half decent for £100 or under.

The aplinestars that you linked offer similar protection to the forcefields, but although they look like a knee brace, they are not.

If you really do require something to support your knee, as well as offer protection, then this brand seem to be the one to go with:

Google 'asterisk knee brace' - prices from around £250

If you really do require something to support your knee, as well as offer protection, then this brand seem to be the one to go with:

Maybe I need to call the company that sell them to discuss. I don't really have that kinda money for em unfortunately with almost a whole month off work on SSP. See what happens - I may be able to dip into our honeymooooon savings and repay the money at some point! I'm sure my hubby wouldn't mind. I do think I'd be happier with proper support, and in the unlikely event I have another off and land on knee it might just stop me effing it up big time. Thanks, I'll give em a bell tomorrow :thumb:

Moo the stuff linked to in those posts looks perfect. I think if you had some kind of hinged knee brace you would do more damage than without in an off, it would probably damage you itself.

You got to remember, one of those braces under an additional layer of good motorbike trousers is going to be pretty bombproof!

Okay so I've come to a decision whilst on hold many times today without needing to speak to anyone in the end. I am going to invest in my right knee big time - even when not motorbiking I used to cycle all the time, and I came off twice in 2 years - I can't afford that sort of impact, from motorbike or bicycle. I'm going to spend £300 on a proper hardcore right knee brace http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Asterisk-Cell-K ... _25656.htm and I'm going to follow their advice on my left knee protection - something good but not more than £40 or £50 because I'll already be spending a fecking fortune and literally am just going to be oweing our savings account this money for when I finally do a couple of month's work to pay it back (instead of buying nice honeymoooon clothes haha!).

Thankyou all of you for your advice - I never realised how much thry'd cost, but I know it'll be more than worth the money. I will let you all know what I go for for my left knee too, and of course upload a pic when I get it. Need to borrow/buy a fabric tape measure first haha :mrgreen:

Before I had my knee replacement operation, I wore this everytime I went out on my Fireblade. Gives good support and stabilises the knee coz there;s two steel hinges in the sides. Bugger to get off when you have a sweaty leg underneath , but otherwise perfect.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r240/megawattblade/Me/P1050864.jpg

Before I had my knee replacement operation, I wore this everytime I went out on my Fireblade. Gives good support and stabilises the knee coz there;s two steel hinges in the sides. Bugger to get off when you have a sweaty leg underneath , but otherwise perfect.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r240/megawattblade/Me/P1050864.jpg

Totally not what I'm after megawatt, thanks anyway! I have something like that already; I am after something that'll protect my knee in event of an accident on motorbike or bicycle while it's still v unstable til I have my 2nd surgery on ligament (which I may put off til next year) and then after that surgery til it's fully back to normal (9 months + after that surgery).

Tho tbf I'd probably just wear the knee brace it for as long as I possibly could after when on 2 wheels tbh anyway, but will be v important til completely healed.

Haha, oh dear Rennie! I still want a normal life while I'm young might aswell sort it out. I want to run again, play, jump around, be a dick and not care about it anymore. Gonna speak to the surgeon next week about getting a custom knee brace. Apparently he might fit me with one for support anyway, not for protection. Watching this vid made me realise just how much support they give you:

Gotta admit, every time I saw the guy hit the skate ramp I cringed!

I'm sure the surgeon will cover this off with you but bear in mind wearing a knee brace over long periods can lead to your knee getting worse not better.

The only way your knee will gain stability will be for it to be unsupported and build up the strength on its own via standing/walking and doing the physio exercises they gave you. Use a brace too much and the support muscles atrophy and your knee becomes weaker as it doesn't need to use the muscle to support the joint.

Use a brace too much and the support muscles atrophy and your knee becomes weaker as it doesn't need to use the muscle to support the joint.

The physio said to me today I might be fitted with a knee brace as part of my actual physio next week, see how it goes. So they can adjust and progressively put more pressure on my muscle wasted thigh when I go back to work so it doesn't just keep swelling up from me doing too much and becoming unbearable to stand on. See how it goes. So I would be working the muscles, it's just a case of making it more gradual so I can get on with life more.

Need/want for my own peace of mind a knee brace protector for motorbike/bicycle riding in the future :mrgreen: see what gets reccommooooonded hehehe. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee so FREAKING EXCITED ABOUT GETTING BACK ON MY BIKE!!!!

Also, is your name Tibbs as like, a leg reference? Hahaha :lol: