Leg Wear

I'm a weekend rider only.

I have good quality helmet, gloves, boots and jacket although not sure about leg wear.

At the moment I wear jeans with water proof trousers on top to keep the wind off which is fine for the winter but will look stupid in the middle of summer.

Thinking about buying something more suitable I have been into two different bike shops and received differing information depending on what they are trying to sell.

What are peoples thoughts.

A protected trouser with removible liner, over trousers or forget it all and just go for a something that is lined so warm but not to hot.

I would recommend some form of protective trousers. :bike:

I have a couple of pairs of heine gerike trousers with removable liners, useful for me as my bike is a commuter and they fit over my work pants if I remove the liner.

unless its absolutely bucketing it down I dont need to bother with waterproof over trousers as well :-)

I have armoured textile trousers with air vents and a thermal lining. For the hot weather I have armoured jeans and in case of downpour waterproof over trousers. Textiles with vents and a lining will do all year round if you don't ride all of the time.

Leather. It has to be leather. 8-)

No it doesnt in fact I would say if your only buying one pair go for the versatility of textiles some people ride with leather trousers and textile jackets so protection isnt really an isssue otherwise it would be full leathers.

I have both and if im going away I use the textiles the leathers are for day trip use.

However when it was hot in wales last year I really missed my leathers!

Pretty much all trousers have liners, so it can be taken out in warmer weather and zipped back in on slightly chillier days!

Depending on budget you can get a decent Frank Thomas pair for £90 to RST (which are great) at £120 or IXS/Alpinestars which are £150+

The thing with the RST trousers, they come with a connecting zip which you can attach to your current jacket so they can zip together and that keeps the jacket from riding up and getting a cold back/arse! And the armour in the RST jeans is one of the best standard armours in any trousers.

Pretty much all trousers have liners, so it can be taken out in warmer weather and zipped back in on slightly chillier days!

Depending on budget you can get a decent Frank Thomas pair for £90 to RST (which are great) at £120 or IXS/Alpinestars which are £150+

The thing with the RST trousers, they come with a connecting zip which you can attach to your current jacket so they can zip together and that keeps the jacket from riding up and getting a cold back/arse! And the armour in the RST jeans is one of the best standard armours in any trousers.

RST gear is good stuff i reckon. Armour in the jackets is all CE approved.. i dont have any pics of the armour in the trousers i have, but here are some jacket pics:

20120715_204154.jpg

20120715_204227.jpg

What's your area Graham ? I can recommend a good bike gear place in Dudley.

I use leather jeans with armour & textile jacket I have a few my favorite is rst, & swap to an airtex jacket in full summer

i prefer fully armoured leathers, but thats just personal choice, ( i find them more comfortable and feel better protected) , but do wear armoured textiles for longer trips away, or if the weathers shitty.

whatever you decide, at least get something with protection, jeans wont do much in the event of an off, whether its a weekday or weekend