sports bike milage

MacLean

Hi guys,

I've not long owned an 05 r6 and although i know that petrol milage isn't the main concern, I have a 3month warrenty on the bike so if something is up want to find it and get it sorted very soon.

Basically I think a full tank of petrol on it only got me about 75-80 miles. I want to do another run where I set the trip meter and get this precisley.

I'm not riding particularly hard tbh - as its an unfamilliar bike i've been taking it relativley easy, however I wonder if its because the power band of this bike I tend to ride in a lower gear. I've gunned it once or twice from lights onto a dual carridge way to get a feel for what it can do but like i say genrally just been pootling about built up areas on it. 80miles!?

The only other thing is that it has come with an aftermarket exhaust with no manufacture on it and I wonder if this is the culprit.

When I get the revs up there - the exaust can sound a bit lively, a bit popy lol - not like a backfire 'bang' (Have had this before with rusted downpipes) but the occasional little pop.

Wondering if this could be the culprit.

I'll add a pic of it - does anyone know the make of this pipe?

bike9.thumb.jpg.1d628d4f87863f91bff02762c6e28fef.jpg

Ya man, I'm talking from full till the time the reserve pops on.

Full is filling up with bike upright with me on it, and just touching the bottom of the funnel bit at the top of tank if you get me.

just over 20 quids worth of petrol which is about a tanks worth these days eh?

Unless I'm wildley underestimating! I will try and do another run except get a precise reading from the trip meter.

But I know I done a 40mile ride + 25mile ride + some random aimless riding around. But i dont think i done many miles in my aimless riding.

Roughly what should an r6 get on a full tank? edit - say with 50/50 crusing/giving it beans. I would have expected at least 100 miles

I don't know what sort of range other R6 riders are getting.....but I would expect somewhere in the 120-150 miles range between fillups.....that's the sort of range I got on my Speed 4 with a mixture of riding..... :wink:

I'm guessing that the ECU should be mapped for the replacement exhaust unless the manufacturer of it certifies that it doesn't need it. Also does the bike have a service history?......when was it last serviced....and by whom?......was the plugs, air filter etc done?

Just my tuppence worth really mate....... :wink:

I don't know what sort of range other R6 riders are getting.....but I would expect somewhere in the 120-150 miles range between fillups.....that's the sort of range I got on my Speed 4 with a mixture of riding..... :wink:

I'm guessing that the ECU should be mapped for the replacement exhaust unless the manufacturer of it certifies that it doesn't need it. Also does the bike have a service history?......when was it last serviced....and by whom?......was the plugs, air filter etc done?

Just my tuppence worth really mate....... :wink:

The bike does have a full service history, I'll check it out again later as am at work now, but it got one done like 2 weeks ago when I bought it lol. It also got a new air filter done in that service as well - I think plugs but will need to check that.

I do not know much about this exahust tbh. Dont even know who makes it! There is no manufacture printed on it. It sounded good and I'm not really arsed what exahust is on it as long as it works tbh!

I do not know much about this exahust tbh. Dont even know who makes it! There is no manufacture printed on it. It sounded good and I'm not really arsed what exahust is on it as long as it works tbh!

Trouble is that with all the sensors on modern bikes for the emission control, changing the exhaust without the ECU being remapped can really screw the performance up....the sensors for oxygen in the exhaust gases can overcompensate if a non-standard can is on there.........although 85 miles on 3 & a bit gallons is a bit extreme......but the exhaust could be part of the problem. You could try pulling the plugs out and checking their colour to see if the bike is running too rich......although this may screw your warranty.

Anyhoo.....there are several peeps on here that run R6's....so they may be able to offer a better insight into a reasonable range for that bike..... 8-)

Trouble is that with all the sensors on modern bikes for the emission control, changing the exhaust without the ECU being remapped can really screw the performance up....the sensors for oxygen in the exhaust gases can overcompensate if a non-standard can is on there.........although 85 miles on 3 & a bit gallons is a bit extreme......but the exhaust could be part of the problem. You could try pulling the plugs out and checking their colour to see if the bike is running too rich......although this may screw your warranty.

Anyhoo.....there are several peeps on here that run R6's....so they may be able to offer a better insight into a reasonable range for that bike..... 8-)

Hmm, sounds like this can/mapping could be part of the problem.

Given this slightly suspicious unbranded can thats on it, and the fact the bike may not be mapped for it, sounds like it could be some part of the problem.

I am going to fill it up and reset the meter and get the exact miles it goes before the light comes on, then phone up the dealer and basically say the bike you sold me gets 80 miles casual riding and everyone else gets over 100, I am no longer a happy customer!

Give the bike a couple of fillups with resetting the trip each time....just to make sure you've got all the facts before going back to the shop.......it's amazing how these little trips on the bike can mount up into a fair few miles..... :wink: :lol: :lol:

First time i took my GSXR600 from Southampton to Sevenoaks in kent, the fuel light come when i was on the M25. It was after a 'spirited' ride up the M3, but still, that's less than 100miles before the light came on...

how have you been riding it??

First time i took my GSXR600 from Southampton to Sevenoaks in kent, the fuel light come when i was on the M25. It was after a 'spirited' ride up the M3, but still, that's less than 100miles before the light came on...

how have you been riding it??

Very gentle tbh, only 1 or 2 bursts from lights onto dual carridgeways, other than that just casual riding really with 80mph max motorway cruising speed. Not really even went down any country roads on it yet!

So on a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being track style and 1 being granny style, id say about a 4!

I'm going to say there is nothing wrong with it

You have only estimated the mileage which you could be way off that as those little rides soon add up plus the colder weather will make it use a little more and if your only doing a few short rides and town riding this won't help at all

I suggest you brim it reset the clock ride till reserve note the miles and brim it again and note the litres used then work out your mpg with that

I'm going to say there is nothing wrong with it

You have only estimated the mileage which you could be way off that as those little rides soon add up plus the colder weather will make it use a little more and if your only doing a few short rides and town riding this won't help at all

I suggest you brim it reset the clock ride till reserve note the miles and brim it again and note the litres used then work out your mpg with that

Yeh I think you may be right. I was completely expecting a bit worse milage than my fzs, and it deffo is needing more juice but I think theres a few things possibly making me think its worse than it is.

Mainly the fact its new and possibly in my aimless rides going further than I think i am and also I think the fact it does not have a fuel gauge only a light when its on reserve is kinda catching me by surprise where as before the gauge would let you know its comming up soon.

Will see - I might be a bit of a gimp here making a fuss out of nothing lol.

what you also have to think is was the tank larger on the fz? you might be hitting reserve earlier but filling up with less

not sure on the R6 but on my TL my reserve is 4 litres :shock: so when I hit reserve I have only used 13 litres of fuel I get up to 125 miles to that reserve and mines a big twin you should see around the same to be honest and they are better on fuel when revved a bit rather then pootling along

according to the website fuelly the average seems to be around 120 - 130 miles from a tank for an R6.

you could try sending a pm to littlecat as she has one, might be worth seeing what she gets

i can get from here to my mates in essex ( roughly 144 miles) , steady motorway mileage...cant possibly post at what speed on here for obvious reasons ;)

the light is usually just coming on when i get there, and i rarely need to put more than 16-18 quid in to refill.

i think when doing higher revving , more spirited riding that can drop quite dramatically, never really clocked it tbh.

oh and mines an old 2000 model, carb rather than injected..so im told :) ( OK IM A GIRLY , DONT EXPECT ME TO KNOW MUCH :P )

just to remove any confusion, i dont run it with the standard can on thats in the pic below ( that was to appease the guy with the noise meter at cadwell )

i run it with a twin exit blue flame race exhaust :)...no idea if that makes a difference, but it sounds damned good

Fill your fuel tank up properly :lol:

My CBR stops the pump usually with 4 litres or so to go, on all the ER's, Xj's (street/sports tourer bikes) I could just slog in a lot of lites. On my sports bikes Ive found fuelling to be more delicate. I didnt top my CBR all the way to the top a few weeks back and looked in horror as the reserve came on at 90 miles :thumb:

i can get from here to my mates in essex ( roughly 144 miles)

Okay so target millage is 144 from full tank to reserve light on, but I guess anything between say 110 - 140 should be pretty reasonable if im doing stop and start riding through built up areas. Plus going by your pic there you look like you just might weigh a bit less than me - which must make a mile or two worth of difference :lol:

I guess theres also the potential I didnt fill it up right fozzie, however I am pretty sure I did, but now you have planted that seed of doubt :?

and when it gets full shake the bike side to side a little it lets the air out the tank and you can squeeze a tad more in :wink:

Or buy a bike with a decent sized tank....... :wink: :lol: :lol:

One of the guys I at work is off on a European tour in the summer.......and one of his mates has bought a VFR800 as his VTR has an appaling range..... :lol: :lol:

i get 120 miles for 20 quid on an 04 r1

Is that a motorway cruising 120 or a giving it beans 120?

Fill it up sitting on the bike too, that makes a couple of litres difference (20 miles or so)

I do that deffo

and when it gets full shake the bike side to side a little it lets the air out the tank and you can squeeze a tad more in :wink:

Hmm will try this out.

Or buy a bike with a decent sized tank....... :wink: :lol: :lol:

Feck off! :lol: