Stiff Forks after Reseal.

BoB3rt

Hi,

Picked my R6 up today from the local motorbike workshop, where i had the fork oil and seals replaced as the old ones where leaking.

After getting it home (in a van) i noticed the damn things are so stiff, when i sit down there is Zero sag in the forks, and takes a lot of effort to push them down a little!

I did ask are they back to standard settings to which he replied yes, but these feel solid.

I have not had a chance to fiddle with them yet as i had to go out but this doesn't feel right!?

Anyone had this after new oil and seals?

Thanks

They may have too much oil in them. Had this on the CG125 after we replaced the fork seals.....filled the fork legs with the correct amount of oil and they were solid.....drained some of the oil off and they were fine......may take a bit of experimenting.....or just get the shop to do it..... :wink:

I think the fork settings have just been messed with so much!

The preload was at 0

The rebound was right up!

and i haven't looked at the 2 compression settings yet...

I trust the garage really,

they used silkoene 10w fork oil.

I am going to tale it to get set up anyway, am sure they will tell me if there is any problems.

Well....it should get sorted then mate..... 8-)

But on the subject of the fork oil......I've replaced the seals on the CG125 and previously on a Trophy 900.....and on both I filled them to the correct level according to the service manual....and on both I had to remove some oil because they were overfilled and the CG was absolutely solid.....so it depends where the garage got the info on the oil quantity from....but it may be wrong.... :wink:

With respect Roadtorque, that's bollox. The forks should work normally with brand new seals. That bike is dangerous to ride on the road, the "mechanic" should have tested it and they should fix it!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

With respect Roadtorque, that's bollox. The forks should work normally with brand new seals. That bike is dangerous to ride on the road, the "mechanic" should have tested it and they should fix it!!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

you've got your opinion & I've got mine,, new seals will be a tighter fit, as I say give it a test ride before shouting the odds,,the guy collected it a van which would indicate his comments were made by trying to test while the bike is static & comparing the feel of the new seals against the old,,, as he says the old seals were leaking & who knows the amount of oil lost, creating excessive movement & lack of restriction,,,, of course new seals will make the bike feel different, but test ride it before you condemn the work done

that being said,,, I'm well known for talking bollocks

I understand what you are saying mate, but no way would new seals cause the forks to have NO SAG and need a lot of effort to compress. There must be something else wrong with them, like too much oil or damping valves not fitted properly . A decent mechanic would have spotted this straight away. You should not advise people to test ride a bike with no suspension movement on the road. The bike is dangerous to ride and should be back at the bikeshop being repaired.

you've got your opinion & I've got mine,, new seals will be a tighter fit, as I say give it a test ride before shouting the odds,,the guy collected it a van which would indicate his comments were made by trying to test while the bike is static & comparing the feel of the new seals against the old,,, as he says the old seals were leaking & who knows the amount of oil lost, creating excessive movement & lack of restriction,,,, of course new seals will make the bike feel different, but test ride it before you condemn the work done

Sorry, having old or leaking seals, the bike will not feel any different to new seals, the different feeling comes from having a lack of oil due to it leaking out past the old oil seals. I don't know what you think seals do, but they don't have a friction effect on the fork leg, that's not what they are there for, that's what dampers do.

Sorry, having old or leaking seals, the bike will not feel any different to new seals, the different feeling comes from having a lack of oil due to it leaking out past the old oil seals. I don't know what you think seals do, but they don't have a friction effect on the fork leg, that's not what they are there for, that's what dampers do.

I think thats what I said

so tell me why the old ones started leaking

Well blow me,,, here's me,, been a biker for over 50 years & in all that time I never found out what dampers do :shock: :shock: :shock: well you live & learn :crybaby: :crybaby:

I stripped & refurbished my first set forks when I was 17 back in 1957,,,, & in the RAF I worked on aircraft landing gear,,,, so tell me again about dampers

:roll: :roll: :roll:

your all actually right

the forks will be stiffer due to the right amount of oil been in how stiff is a different matter and whether the ops forks are too stiff is anyones guess over the internet :wink:

the fork seals will be gripping harder on the stanchions otherwise the oil would still be leaking out yes this will cause more friction and be stiffer on the forks then the leaking ones but whether you would notice is a different story