Bright clothing when riding

Is there any evidence that jackets that have hi vis sections are any safer than just black jackets, i.e. do riders wearing hi vis have less car drivers pulling out in front of them etc. than riders with darker clothing? In other words do car drivers see hi vis jackets better than black ones.

Well I have met 2 police officers knocked off police bikes - one on a shout, one just doing 30 down a main road.

Sooo if a huge bike with blue lights and loads of hi viz won't stop the idiots...what will??

That said, my gear is all black (colour picked by what I could afford not coming with colour choices!) and I do keep a vest under the seat and if I get caught in the dark/nasty weather, I'll put it on. Can't hurt eh?

Not sure I'd buy one of the ones with it all built in. For one they really show up the muck after a few hundred miles

Not sure I'd buy one of the ones with it all built in. For one they really show up the muck after a few hundred miles

Ive got one with bright yellow patches/detailing on it. havnt washed it since i got it in september and have done the full winters riding in it. its only a little grubby and theyre still quite bright.

I was thinking yesterday after buying a black leather jacket, to go with my black jeans black boots and matt black helmet, i should probably incorporate some brighter colours into this somewhere - like priest says, i havnt done any research into the subject either - but it really cant hurt to wear brighter gear can it? Theres a guy who rides the same route as me in the mornings, wears full hi vis suit with a yellow helmet - you notice him a lot quicker!

There's lots of data to support the hi vis cures cancer point of view and equally just as much research to invalidate it.

Its been discussed on here lots and lots.

I fall decidedly on the side of the "there's no valid proof it works so I won't wear it" side of the fence. It would have to completely remove 100% chance of accident before I considered using it. And if it were ever to achieve a legally compulsory status then I'd either wear the absolute bare minimum or if they insisted on head to toe, sell my bike and move abroad.

You could dress like Mr bobby and still get knocked off. If other drivers don't see you because they weren't looking then it makes f**k all difference what you had on.

I'm all for independent thought and an individual's right to wear what they choose but the increase in the amount of riders who willingly cover themselves in bright green shit concerns me. A lot.

The government and eu tosspots will find it much easier to introduce a compulsory hi viz law if the majority of riders are already wearing it. Its at that point that MY right to wear what I want is taken from me. :twisted:

The problem isn't that people don't see bikers, its that they don't look. If they aren't looking in your direction when they pull out then it doesn't matter what you are wearing.

hmmmm

must remember to get my bus cover in dayglo to make it high vis seen as people somehow don't see a 14 foot bus!!

which brings me to the point of if people don't see a bus what chance have you got on a bike?

I'm lucky, I have a choice of bike kit.

Some of it does have reflective/hi viz stuff built in.

My opinion,

I don't for one minute think wearing all the 'bright' gear makes any difference to your safety.

However......

When your up in court with the b**tard who has knocked you off, and he says,

"sorry m'lord I didn't see him"

and you show him your bright green kermit suit, he's going to look stupid, not you!

:bike2:

• 2 weeks later...

I wear one when commuting into London as there's a higher chance in my opinion of someone hitting me. I don't wear it to be seen any better, just so if it comes down to it, I can say I was doing everything in my power to be seen.

However, saying this, I've seen people wearing full trousers and jacket that seem to be bright reflective yellow and it's actually hurt my eyes to look at them!

• 4 months later...

I know i'm late to this topic! but i think high vis is definately worth wearing, not saying head to toe, but a jacket with built in high vis in the darker months especially or even a throw over jacket just helps you be seen that bit easier, i have a jacket with it in so i don't get a choice but all black on a black bike with a light the size of my hand? i dont want to take that risk :)

I think reflective strips on bike gear helps after dark - I prefer to ride in daylight where possible though. I think I read somewhere that bright blue actually catches the attention more than yellow in the day. I have one bike with acres of chrome and another which is bright lime green - does that count?

The only SMIDSY I ever had was at night and I had reflective stuff on my textiles - unfortunately there was a monstrous 4x4 behind me with bright headlights and the guy turning right across my path was focussed on him, thought he had time and didn't see the bike in front - I doubt a yellow vest would have made much difference.

The safety concious part of me suggests that a high-vis vest is probably a good idea.....but I still don't wear one.

A biker I sometimes see on my commute wears reflective clothing and I see him a lot quicker.

Ollie recently bought a black textile jacket with thin reflecticve strips on arms and chest - it really lights him up more.

I have a reflective backpack cover that reflects light really well that I wear in the rain and dark. I put reflective stickers on my helmet etc too.

As for hi vis....gotta go for the 'it never looks good' argument :lol: !

• 3 weeks later...

As a car and biker, I don't think Hi Vis makes much of a difference in most conditions. I do however think reflective stuff makes a massive difference in the dark.

The amount of times a bike seems to disappear into the headlights of a car that's following them is amazing. Even with the headlights of the bike on, they still always seem to be directly in front of (usually the offside) headlights of the car which is following the bike.

The only thing that's given them away has been the reflective jacket that the riders been wearing which has shown up like a Christmas tree from the headlights on my car.

I'd wear something reflective if riding in the dark, but it might only be a sam browne type. Has the addition of being non-symmetrical which draws the eye even more.

My hi viz vest from Tin Wolf.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7429/10976647185_4725cba703_z.jpg

Tool tubes with trailer reflectors bolted through the lids.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7289/8726298420_1244e83d3c_z.jpg