can anyone get out a broken exhaust bolt?

buggerit

I've had a drill bit snap off while trying to drill out a seized screw......and if there's one thing that you can't drill out.....it's another drill bit, or the remains of one..... :shock:

:stupid: same goes for broken bolt/screw extractors

I had a head shear of a bolt on the exhaust mounting on the Sprint....and the remains of the bolt was well seized in......and there was about the same amount of bolt left as you have.....so I soaked it in PlusGas and left it overnight....then took my trusty Footprint pipe pliers to it......job done..... :wink:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Footprint-698w- ... 23-3823205

Each to their own Derek....but I find the Footprint wrenches dig more into the thing you are trying to undo the more pressure you put on them......I've shifted stuff with the footprint that Molegrips have given up on..... :wink:

Each to their own Derek....but I find the Footprint wrenches dig more into the thing you are trying to undo the more pressure you put on them......I've shifted stuff with the footprint that Molegrips have given up on..... :wink:

thats because your not tightening the molegrips enough!

you should be able to "bite" the stud harder with molegrips than with footprints...

Well I got a better blow torch from b and q today. Using plus gas still nothing been trying for an hour off and on. Its very hard to get in there. I have to grip it at an angle thats all I have with whats left of the bolt and the curve of the engine block. I may get lucky with the extractor and plusgas and the blow torch. But I can't just keep buying more tools. It looks like its just a job too far for me. Ive done more complicated jobs it just seems to be always rusted or broken bloody bolts I struggle with. If that fails im leaving it with the 3 bolts tbat are left and either live with it or sell it on I think

Sounds like your having fun Not mate!!

try giving it plenty of heat around the bolt, spray in the plus gas make sure there's no naked flame around and quickly give the bolt a tap with a hammer then apply the grips and try and turn. if you do or don't succeed its Friday night there's always the pub.

I think one issue ive noticed is with the bolt it has the thread inside the block and outside the block and dividing the two sides is a smooth middle section that sits flush with the engine block so no thread to the engine block can be seen or accessed. Ill have a bit more of a mess and see how the next few days go.

I think one issue ive noticed is with the bolt it has the thread inside the block and outside the block and dividing the two sides is a smooth middle section that sits flush with the engine block so no thread to the engine block can be seen or accessed. Ill have a bit more of a mess and see how the next few days go.

tbh, after reading your responses to replies, i would take the offending item to a local engineer, are you capable of a top end strip???

Thats normal its called a stud....http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmJiKZKnynxKj3NFy_Zq9Ggh0pl8H9p_L2jdBC8lp3teQnDA9rg

http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w52 ... 6d6155.jpg

Finally got it out against all odds. Thanks for all the advice everyone and appolgies if I come across stupid but theres always something you've never done and this was one of them. Prior to this I've done s full service, wheel bearings, , regulator/ rectifier new battery, new caliper, fitted new brake pads, stripped and fitted master cylinder kit after the garage forgot to put a return spring on my lever! Ive had to learn from the haynes manual as I go. Most of this if not all im sure is very basic but I got to start somewhere. Ive done ok until this. At least its done im just scared now of over tightening the new bolt as yes you guessed it I dont have a torque wrench! Again thanks everyone this forums been very helpful and patient! :grin:

Edited by buggerit

Dont think ill be out this weekend. The Mrs has plans ha. Im away in sunny Bournemouth the week after too so may well be the weekend after yhat one but will let you know.:smile:

The question now is do I try to replace the others! Do bolts weaken with age and heat? Not sure if it's worth chancing! !:-)

Personally I wouldn't......let sleeping dogs lie...... :wink: