What stops an air cooled bike overheating......

Throttled

Its down to the fact they are designed as air engines not water cooled engines with no water. They have different tolerances. Also they tend to burn more oil.

Also some use oil coolers

Also the design in v twins where the heads are opposite each other reduce heat and increases air flow

Also the design in v twins where the heads are opposite each other reduce heat and increases air flow

:lol: who told you that!

S lot of twins run hotter especially the rear cylinder due to the lack of air flow! Trust me I know! Mine gets red hot

What stops an air cooled bike overheating on a very hot day in slow moving or stuck traffic?

Filtering :mrgreen:

My bike does not burn more oil (or any oil much)

It doesn't seem prone to overheating either

surface area of the fins. it allows the heat to dissapapte away from the cylinders. if the bike is moving through the air the dissapaition is more effecient.

so if its hot and your stuck in traffic the heat dissiapation is less effective and your bike might overheat. there wont be any steam obviously, but there will be loss of power and stalling.

air cooled bikes that cool the oil via engine coolers are different from oil cooled engines such as early gsxrs.

As above, the air cooled engines have fins, these transmit heat to atmosphere...

Around 70% of all heat energy from an engine is wasted either as exhaust or given off.

Air cooled engines have less peak power as the top end would likely melt if they were highly tuned.

I once fitted an old air cooled XJ600 with a oil cooler, it apparently made the bike feel like it was running at peak power all the time, there was no noticeable loss anymore.

So it shows how ineffective it is although during winter they are very useful as leg warmers :mrgreen:

What stops an air cooled bike overheating on a very hot day in slow moving or stuck traffic?

Convection as much as anything else....as the hot air rises from the top of the fins then it draws cooler air in at the bottom.......simples...

Simples!

Some bikes will have fins, liquid and oil cooling!

On the Versys they are big chunky things aren't they? On the KLE they are not as chunky but stick out more?

On air cooled bikes they are thin, stick out a bit and are loads of them bunched together.

Yours are there to help keep the top end where the magic happens cool. They are there purely to help keep the bike at optimum running temperature, rather than entirely regulate it with coolant flowing through a radiator.

Over engineering never hurt anyone did it? :lol: