Question about helmets

I got my first helmet from Amazon, on the recommendation of a colleague (who rides a scooter, and never goes above 40 mph). It's a cheap helmet (Shox something, £30) but has got good reviews (5 stars) so I thought I can't go wrong.

But, I started now to think that this purchase wasn't the best. Because:

- it is matt black, so not very visible

- the visor fogs quite a bit

- the liner is non removable

- has no pinlock visor

- noisy

- I doubt it is waterproof

- doesn't look nice...

So I'm thinking about getting a new helmet. I want a helmet with a pinlock insert, waterproof (as much as possible), safe, removable liner, bright colour and reasonably quiet.

Question one - are all pinlock inserts the same size and one will fit all the helmets?

Question two - any recommendations for a good helmet at a reasonable price?

Many thanks!

As most people will tell you on here.

Helmets should never be brought online as you just don't know what you are buying, And all helmets feel differenet on different people, so go into a shop and try all the ones you like on, if you don't find one there thats perfect, move on. In your CBT the instructor should have told you how to make sure a helmet fits correctly.

As for pinlocks the following is quoted from dimmers

"they are about £20, and they can be swapped between the same make of visor quite easily. You just need to ensure your current visor has the holes in place to accomodate a pinlock.

these guys are pretty good (http://www.racevisors.co.uk/category/pi ... or-inserts), don't know if they are the cheapest, but they have a wide selection, as you have to buy a pinlock visor specific to the helmet/visor you currently have. So if you're are intending to buy a different brand/model helmet in a few months then you may will need to buy a new pinlock insert.

(just Google 'how to fit a pinlock insert' and you'll get loads of youtube clips on the subject "

Hope some of my newbie advice helps :D

I got my first helmet from Amazon, on the recommendation of a colleague (who rides a scooter, and never goes above 40 mph). It's a cheap helmet (Shox something, £30) but has got good reviews (5 stars) so I thought I can't go wrong.

But, I started now to think that this purchase wasn't the best. Because:

- it is matt black, so not very visible

- the visor fogs quite a bit

- the liner is non removable

- has no pinlock visor

- noisy

- I doubt it is waterproof

- doesn't look nice...

So I'm thinking about getting a new helmet. I want a helmet with a pinlock insert, waterproof (as much as possible), safe, removable liner, bright colour and reasonably quiet.

Question one - are all pinlock inserts the same size and one will fit all the helmets?

Question two - any recommendations for a good helmet at a reasonable price?

Many thanks!

depends what you consider a reasonable price?

helmetcity.co.uk have some fantastic deals on previous models... currently you can pick up some Shark helmets at very good prices... they have lots of Shark Race R helmets at 199. Shark S900 for around 100 quid. In fact they have a lot of good helmets for under 100. But if you can, i'd really recommend taking a visit to one of their stores, and getting the staff help you get a correct fit. I went to their Chichester branch a few weeks back, was like a kid in a candy shop, i tried on almost every make/model of helmet in there.

regardless of what anyone recommends you though, make sure the helmet fits your head properley... for me, only Arai and Shoei helmets fit my head spot on! I love the Shark helmets, but they just don't fit my head, so i won't ever buy one.

Not all Pinlocks are created equal, I'm afraid. Different makes, different helmets have different sized visors. I wear a Marushin which appears to have a narrow visor top to bottom so the first one I got managed to foul both the seal at the top and at the bottom!

Arai have extra vents in the top corners of their visors which the pinlock has to go round.

etc

etc

Most helmets these days come with pinlock installed or at the very least the visors already drilled. Ask the shop if they'll throw one in for you when you get your lid or at least do you a deal on one that fits. Failing that you can get the pins and drill them yourself or get a new visor with the pins drilled and installed for you (this is what I did, I'm a coward :) )

As for what helmet to get? The one that fits! Go to a shop, try them all on. If it doesn't fit or is uncomfortable it's off the list. Then you've got a shortlist of the ones that fit and you can look into colour, linings, noise, cost etc etc from there. If you want advice then put your shortlist up on here saying "these fit, any opinions" and anyone who's had any of them will let you know what they thought.

Not all Pinlocks are created equal, I'm afraid. Different makes, different helmets have different sized visors. I wear a Marushin which appears to have a narrow visor top to bottom so the first one I got managed to foul both the seal at the top and at the bottom!

Arai have extra vents in the top corners of their visors which the pinlock has to go round.

etc

etc

Most helmets these days come with pinlock installed or at the very least the visors already drilled. Ask the shop if they'll throw one in for you when you get your lid or at least do you a deal on one that fits. Failing that you can get the pins and drill them yourself or get a new visor with the pins drilled and installed for you (this is what I did, I'm a coward :) )

As for what helmet to get? The one that fits! Go to a shop, try them all on. If it doesn't fit or is uncomfortable it's off the list. Then you've got a shortlist of the ones that fit and you can look into colour, linings, noise, cost etc etc from there. If you want advice then put your shortlist up on here saying "these fit, any opinions" and anyone who's had any of them will let you know what they thought.

So if your visor doesn't have pinlock holes....can you drill them?

If you can get the pinlock for them then yes, you can get the kits with the pinlock, pins and a template showing how/where to drill the holes.

http://www.pinlockshop.co.uk/images/options/CLEAR_1349284193.jpg

I just chickened out of that and got a new visor with the holes predrilled

Thanks for everyone's input! I'll go a motorcycle shop this weekend and try as many helmets as I can. Maybe I'll find one that ticks all the boxes. Looking to spend in the region of £100. Don't need something too flashy or extravagant, just something that works well.

Just did a search online and couldn't find that many motorbike shops near where I leave. The closest is Lloyd Cooper Moto Direct in Watford, then Honda in Ruislip and that's about it. A few more custom shops around but the choice is very limited. So on Saturday I'll head over to Lloyd Cooper and try some helmets. Maybe I won't buy from them, but will just find one that's right, then get it online. Or maybe I'll buy it in the shop. If they offer a reduction.

Depends on the style of helmet, Full face or open face, but i don't think you'll find much difference between helmets if it fits right it shouldn't make much difference. But again try different ones on and see how you find them.

Do all the helmets have same field of view, or some have larger visors than others?

YES!

Like everyone else says, just go and try a load out and see what fits best and gives you the features you want and buy the best you can afford! :-)

One thing missing from your specs is internal visor, now I wouldn't buy a helmet without one.

Infact the helmet I have now caberg evo I would replace with another one.

Bright, not that it matters to me.

Built in visor and pin lock

Big "sunroof" vent

Lightweight

Not too noisy but I wear earplugs on a rideout so no big deal

Inners not removable buy once again no real bother to me but some wear a balaclava to save sweating in helmet.

But main thing as with all helmets its the best fitting I've found, and comfy.

Last point should be start point.

The sun visor shouldn't interfere with your glasses......but this is another good reason why trying lids on is a very good idea before buying them..... :wink:

And here is the obligatory link to the Sharp website for Helmet safety ratings......not all 4 & 5 star rated lids are expensive..... 8-)

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

If you can get the pinlock for them then yes, you can get the kits with the pinlock, pins and a template showing how/where to drill the holes.

http://www.pinlockshop.co.uk/images/options/CLEAR_1349284193.jpg

I just chickened out of that and got a new visor with the holes predrilled

Thanks Owen

They do a pinlock for my HJC Max so I will have a look....I can drill holes...lol

Heya!

Without reading all the replies - my helmet is a £60-ish Spada one with a sun visor you can slide down when it's sunny. It got 4 or 5 stars on some approved helmet safety website and when I came off it felt like I hit a squichy pillo! Highly reccomended and I'm sure they come in other colours than black :mrgreen: . Mine is black but I've covered it in funky refelctive stickers. Defo try before you buy though! :D