What's to stop the seller of a vehicle pulling this trick?

XmisterIS

Given that I've just bought a car (on which I did an HPI check, by the way!), and given the way that the procedure around the V5 document works, what's to stop an unscrupulous seller from pulling the following amusing little trick?

Scenario:

1) You buy the car from a private seller.

2) You complete the new keeper's supplement, you both fill out the bit on the other side of the V5 and leave it with them to be sent off to DVLA.

3) The previous owner doesn't send off their part of the V5.

4) On the back of the new keeper's supplement, it states that if you hear nothing within 6 weeks, contact the DVLA (who will then get medieval on the arse of the previous owner).

5) Within that 6 week period, the previous owner, unbeknownst to you, takes out finance against the vehicle. You wouldn't know because when you did the HPI check there was no finance against the vehicle.

6) Because the previous owner has deliberately not sent off their part of the V5, the finance company doesn't know that the seller no longer owns the car.

Surely, in that scenario, you are f**ked! So what's to stop anyone from pulling this seemingly simple little trick? And why don't they make the system so that you send off the new keeper's supplement as well? That way, even if the seller didn't send off their part of the V5, at least DVLA could flag up in the system that something was amiss ...

BTW. I printed out copies of my HPI check and obtained a signed and dated receipt, plus the previous owner seemed like a good sort, so I don't think this will happen to me.

the green part is your evidence that you bought the vehicle on a certain date anything after this would/should be void

plus the V5 would have your name on it and dated

and you should also get a signed dated receipt

Yep, you should always take the V5/c (or whatever it's called now). A receipt is always a good idea but you could always get the PO to sign and date the green bit as a good alternative.

the green part is your evidence that you bought the vehicle on a certain date anything after this would/should be void

A V5 is not proof of ownership. DVLA make a point of printing that on the V5 itself.

Had an issue many years ago when I sold a car to another employee, trusted him to send off both parts of V5. He didn't and I got a FPN from Torquay. A swift visit to his work place at tea break and it was sorted.

Don't trust anyone not even your best oppo !

Sad init ?

Yep, you should always take the V5/c (or whatever it's called now). A receipt is always a good idea but you could always get the PO to sign and date the green bit as a good alternative.

Done that, got it stamped by the PO when I got the tax disc. Still, if you had to send some part of the new keeper's supplement to DVLA, it would sort out many of the problems that car buyers seem to have. IMHO it's a completely antiquated system ...

A V5 is not proof of ownership. DVLA make a point of printing that on the V5 itself.

No one said it was :|

there is nothing to stop you writing a letter to the DVLA stating that you are now owner of this vehicle. i have done this before when i have thought that it is taking a while for the V5 to come through. the DVLA then sent me the new one. not sure if ex owner had sent in their bit. but still it got it sorted

there is nothing to stop you writing a letter to the DVLA stating that you are now owner of this vehicle. i have done this before when i have thought that it is taking a while for the V5 to come through. the DVLA then sent me the new one. not sure if ex owner had sent in their bit. but still it got it sorted

I might do just that. Might even go to my local DVLA office before it closes! (DVLA website says they are all going to close by the end of 2013).