Having a discussion with a friend of mine about jeans, he claims jeans are better protection than work trousers (just a cloth type) i say they're both useless for protection as you wont get more than a seconds worth of protection if you come off at 60. The only thing that will protect you is durable textiles / leather and armour.

Peoples thoughts?

Having a discussion with a friend of mine about jeans, he claims jeans are better protection than work trousers (just a cloth type) i say they're both useless for protection as you wont get more than a seconds worth of protection if you come off at 60. The only thing that will protect you is durable textiles / leather and armour.

Peoples thoughts?

i've come off wearing jeans on a wet road at pretty high speeds. the pocket ripped off and they were ruined, but i walked away with just bruises. I remember watching the sparks flying from my bike as i tumbled down the road!

Of course the more protection the better, but it all depends how you fall and if you can keep moving. and if you hit a solid object at speed you're doomed whatever you're wearing.

Bike jeans yeah they're designed to be like textiles though and tear resistant with armour etc, but everyday jeans you buy at matalan or burton? They aren't really going to stand up to the abrasion tarmac causes at 60mph, the same with cargo trousers.

I fell off at 30mph in all the gear except trousers, and I got pretty hurt. Moo fell off at 30mph and has major health issues over a year later.

If you fall off a bike you are going to get hurt, unless you are lucky. Gear might help, it might not, depends what happens and what you hit or what hits you.

Some gear is better than others. I have just bought a textile 2 piece suit, it is armoured but the material is very soft. I wouldn't give two hoots for abrasion resistance if I fell off on the motorway but it's warm, waterproof comfy and has armour in all the important places.

Pays yer money, takes yer pick.

Nothing against people who want to wear jeans and trousers etc, its a risk you take you'll likely fair worse than someone with a thick pair of leathers on for keeping your skin. I often come to work in trousers and waterproofs but with my boots and jacket it's only around me knee/lowerthigh thats not protected. Don't think wearing jeans will make much a difference and if i was going to i'd just wear my armoured trousers :D

As the previous posts really :oops: The more protection the better for me though :roll: I'm not in very good health to start with now so don't like taking too many chance's :lol: I've got textiles and tbh I've probably worn them no more than half a dozen times (even on the hotter days we've had) I tend to just put the leathers on and suffer the heat and keep the vent's open, it's a long running argument as to do or don't but I do and would always advise people to wear suitable clothing. Please don't forget that independent testing proves it works and can save your skin (it's hard to pick it up from the tarmac), if you do have a spill not protected it will be a very hard lesson :crybaby:

I often come to work in trousers and waterproofs but with my boots and jacket it's only around me knee/lowerthigh thats not protected.

Ho hoooooo, trust me, wear your armoured trousers - knees are bloody delicate things *misses feeling lower half of right leg*

it's your own skin, wear what you want. When you break your leg, don't come running to me! I have a pair of kevlar jeans. They're a nice alternative to textiles or leathers on a warm day. Would i wear them year round? not a chance! I like to be warm!

it's your own skin, wear what you want. When you break your leg, don't come running to me! I have a pair of kevlar jeans. They're a nice alternative to textiles or leathers on a warm day. Would i wear them year round? not a chance! I like to be warm!

Don't worry, I won't. I wouldn't expect anyone else to give a crap. :up:

I often come to work in trousers and waterproofs but with my boots and jacket it's only around me knee/lowerthigh thats not protected.

Yep, i used to ride to school/college when i was 16/17 in school trousers, ski jacket and ski gloves! nobody thought anything of it back then (im 37 now).

you can wear what you like so long as you dont come off ;)

Yep, i used to ride to school/college when i was 16/17 in school trousers, ski jacket and ski gloves! nobody thought anything of it back then (im 37 now).

you can wear what you like so long as you dont come off ;)

This being said, I don't think many people who came off their bikes were intending to do it!

Also, back on topic - I have some kevlar jeans with armour, which are great if we're taking a trip into town and I don't want to boil alive or look a bit daft. Comfy, look nice enough, and don't cost much more than a set of designer jeans would. No reason not to, really! The rest of the time I wear my textiles, because being waterproof is great and I know they do their job well :P

So what im getting here is most people wear something on their legs. and that anything apart from textiles / leather / kevlar / armour is useless crap and you may aswell be wearing nothing :D (not that im going to do that)

So what im getting here is most people wear something on their legs. and that anything apart from textiles / leather / kevlar / armour is useless crap and you may aswell be wearing nothing :D (not that im going to do that)

Pretty much, most here are supporters of ATGATT. :D