What Sat Nav ?

What Sat Nav ?

What do others usse? I'm looking for something that is good for UK & Europe and can be tranfered from bike to car.

Garmin Zumo 660 seems to tick all the boxes atm. I would be intrested to hear others opinions.

Everyone will have their preference.

I've used a Garmin Zumo 550 since 2006. Many trips to Europe including organised Bike Tours, and it came with all the bits for Bike & Car. Even the Mrs gets on with it :D

I see lots of 660's and input routes in to them for guests but of the two, I prefer the 550.

It is probably because I am used to it but it behaves better than the 660 IMHO albeit that it has now been superceded.

Garmin's Tech Support are second to none and if it does go tits up out of warranty they do a very fair (again IMHO) replacement scheme.

I do not like Tom Tom and find it a RPITA to input routes even using Tyre, compared to Garmin and the Garmin Software.

Many who like to tour but use a Sat Nav originally designed for a car begin to regret not getting one designed for a motorcycle and Touring.

Just my few pennies worth.

Ali,

Thanks for that, I had also looked at the 550 but thought the 660 may have substantial improvements, If they are close then I can save a few bob going for the 550.

Also can they be swapped from bike to bike with ease ?

Although the 660 should in theory be better, practically I don't think it is.

The only Downside with the 550 is that the maps have got so big in storage size that if you want the whole of Europe on you have to use an SD Card to supplement the memory. The 550 can handle a card up to 8GB but will only recognise up to 4GB. It treats the memory as a total rather than separate locations when in use so maps can be shared between the internal Hard drive and the SD Card.

In reality you don't need all of the maps on there at any one time and there is ample room for what you do need. Even the software will remind you if a map area for a route you have planned is not on the device and ask you if you want to add it.

It is easy to change it from bike to bike but if you want to use it on several bikes you own at the same time I would suggest getting additional power leads for hard wiring and additional Ram Mounts and Cradles.

I would recommend Hard Wiring a switched feed to the Power Lead. If you have a Live Feed, moisture can over time cause corrosion, short between the pins on the cradle and pop the fuse inside The Sat Nav Unit. (I made that mistake on 1 bike). Keep the pins clean and all is good. They are substantially more robust that the Tom Tom ones.

Having fallen out with Garmin after they said they were no longer offering up dates for my Street pilot as they said it was out dated and l needed to upgrade. "that unit cost a small fortune new and was working fine but l could no longer use it as the computer software was outdated. I've now brought a water proof mount and power supply for my Samsung galaxy S3 phone and brought the full package from co pilot live.

http://www.copilotlive.com/uk/personal/ ... wwodYzMAqw

Switch off the mobile data system and use the phones GPS system it works a treat, hooked up to our intercom with background music stored in the phone I've done a lot of driving in Europe took me door to door no issues. Now signed up for European roaming with Vodafone and for £3.00 a day use my uk package in Europe that's going to take some beating.

I use my smartphone too - I rigged a usb plug to the sidelight and use a waterproof (ish) case that slots down the head tube. Easy peasy and less stuff to carry about.

I have an old tomtom rider V1

it works a treat and I use a program called "TYRE" for plotting routes and sending them to my sat nav

best of all I can update the maps :mrgreen:

Mine does what I need it to do and have never been lost with it