Which luggage option?

Hi all

Just after some thoughts!

I'm debating buying luggage for the sprint. OEM are out because they cost a fortune and so are the nice stainless BMW style panniers the OH pointed out as her favourite in J&S (£270 each!!!! how does she always pick out the expensive ones??)

So my options are

- do nothing. Pro = bike looks good. Con = have to carry chain and everything else in backpack, don't like it.

- soft saddlebags like http://lockitt.com/images/pannblackJSW.jpg. Pro = nicer than top box (I think), can get lots of things inside. doesn't disturb me while riding. Once removed you'd never know it was fitted. Con = no room for helmets, worried it'll scratch the bike

- givi top box. Pro = big one will fit 2 helmets, OH can use as a backrest, easy to remove, no risk of scratching paintwork. Con = not keen on look when on, even when removed leaves a rack hanging off the bike. More expensive than other options

So what do you think, both from looks and any experience of having either option?

p.s. not keen on a tankbag, although would consider if had a leather tank cover (watching one on ebay but gets £££ pretty quick).

Personal opinion: Backpack and magentic tank bag (ideally expandable). That's what I used to have 15 years ago anyway. You don't need to worry about your stuff when leaving bike unattended (my tankbag had extra straps, so easy to carry along). And no ugly racks/mounts while riding without luggage.

If even more space was needed, I used a net to tie down extra luggage on the passenger seat. (Not suitable when riding with passenger, granted)

I absolutely hate top boxes. They may be practical, but they are also very ugly and make you look like you work for Domino's! :D

I've never had any panniers, mainly because I never needed more luggage space back then.

magentic tank bag (ideally expandable).

think its a plastic tank (Tango will now tell me I'm wrong...)

make you look like you work for Domino's! :D

Ahhh thats a much nicer way than how I was going to phrase it! :up: Did see a sprint at the weekend at J&S with a rack but no box on at the time, was going to have a chat but he buggered off before I got a chance. It was just SO immediately obvious that he had a box and his mate's sprint didn't :(

Do they not scratch the tank? Or get in the way if you're trying to hunch down a bit?

Do they not scratch the tank? Or get in the way if you're trying to hunch down a bit?

Didn't cause a single scratch. You just have to be careful when you put the tankbag down somehwere. Being magnetic, it can pick up metal pieces, nails etc.

As for hunching down... Wasn't a problem on my Bandit back then. And it had the added benefit of having a transparent pocket on top, where you could slip in a map. There weren't smartphones or affordable (if any) GPS solutions that time, only actual maps :shock:

This is what you need!!

http://cloud2.baohe.org/allimg/gadgetsmobiletradarcom-1347733981/add-a-pair-of-toolbox-saddlebags-to-your-bike-or-motorcycle-on-the-cheap_1.jpg

managed to scratch pretty much every bike ive owned with the tankbag, but i still use it and try to remember to wipe the bottom before i stick it on.

luggage options vary hugely, depend a lot on personal preference, and how much gear you actually need to cart around.

i have tank bag( really tiny one), tailpack and soft panniers for the R6, combined with a renntek sportrak for camping weekends ( and yes even that looks a bit shit on an R6, but makes long weekends on the bike with full gear so much easier)

for short trips overnight the tailpack is plenty, when camping i use the lot. Downside of the soft luggage is unless you bag everything, if theres a downpour, somethings getting wet.

renntek dont make a rack for my cbr 400 , so ive discovered Ventura, who do a fantastic modular rack system, and i will be getting one at some point.

not a huge fan of the look of a topbox for either of my bikes, but if i'm completely honest, having Ohjays topbox on the VFR makes weekends/shopping trips/ days out when you want to stash 2 helmets ,soooo much easier.

can load it with food shopping when we arrive at a rally, keep valuables in it, allsorts.

short answer would be, assess how much luggage you will be carrying, when, why, and how, and then decide what would actually work best , rather than what would look best

short answer would be, assess how much luggage you will be carrying, when, why, and how, and then decide what would actually work best , rather than what would look best

Yay you're not gone :D

And damn, this is screaming top box :crybaby:

I have a top box on my xj6 as it came with it, not a massive fan of the rack but it actually isn't too bad. The box is very useful I've only used it a couple of times though.

I did notice that it made a minor difference at speeds over the national limit making the back end move a bit (on private roads of course). But within normal limits it has been fine and hardly notice it.

I have a Oxford magnetic tank bag and it scratched up my YBR's tank so I haven't used it on my new bag.

I was thinking about getting one of these: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 0784608568

Expensive but no scratching! The tanklock system looks great

If you find a tankbag scratching your paint the anti slip dash mat's are supposedly good to prevent scratches if you put it between the tank and the bag although I've not tried it myself.

http://www.wilko.com/content/ebiz/wilkinsonplus/invt/0141893/0141893_l.jpg

Lots of options out there you've got to consider all of them.

Question:

Are you going to carry a passenger do you go camping etc. etc.

I agree that top boxes and panniers are not nice to look at but are so practical, only down side of the panniers are they make the bike wide sometimes very wide especially with a Busa.

Ventura make some nice gear that's designed to go on most bikes without to much of a drama

http://www.ventura-bike.co.uk/

If your riding solo l would suggest a waterproof tote bag something like this below http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcy ... _rev/58207

These two cover most bases

Just be careful what you hang off a rear carrier some of the loads l seen over the years are just plain scary! 10- 12kg is the suggested max loads for most racks, which can be soon used up!

Remember balance the load, also the higher the load the more leverage is put upon yourself and bike once you go off the point of balance.

Over the years l have tried almost everything! As you can see we now pull a trailer, being that we both love camping and rallies this do's it all and more!

Enjoy your search

If you find a tankbag scratching your paint the anti slip dash mat's are supposedly good to prevent scratches if you put it between the tank and the bag although I've not tried it myself.

http://www.wilko.com/content/ebiz/wilkinsonplus/invt/0141893/0141893_l.jpg

I did this on the YBR, non slip mat under the tank bag, going down a fast A Road, doing around 60 and the tank bag flies up and i catch it, good thing the headstock clip was on! Don't know where the mat went, i couldn't find it :scratch:

Hmm see I need the balance. No camping but mix of solo riding with my gear when going to hers, but plan in summer is longer rides two up so thinking about option to put helmets away. Can't see soft panniers sticking out that far that they would stop filtering? Had been debating a b&b trip up to Scotland so that would need a bit more space.

Think another trip to j&s to look at the gear is needed, not the same looking online!

Hmm see I need the balance. No camping but mix of solo riding with my gear when going to hers, but plan in summer is longer rides two up so thinking about option to put helmets away. Can't see soft panniers sticking out that far that they would stop filtering? Had been debating a b&b trip up to Scotland so that would need a bit more space.

Think another trip to j&s to look at the gear is needed, not the same looking online!

Don't worry about filtering - panniers don't stick out much further than your bars or knees. I used to filter round the M25 all the time on my Goldwing and they're really quite wide.

Don't worry about filtering - panniers don't stick out much further than your bars or knees.

They do on a Busa that why l'm reluctant to ride with them, sliding through crawling traffic is a nightmare

for decent weekends away with 2 of you on one bike, i would suggest the need for topbox and panniers at the very least.

we take 2 bikes...2 sets of panniers, one topbox, one tailpack, one waterproof bag strapped to sportrak, tent strapped to vfr pillion seat, one small tankbag, and a rucksack lol.

You can put helmets into those soft bags. I bought a set for my XJ600 and checked them - no problem. Having said that. I used the bags once and then sold the bike when I bought my K1100 as it has the BMW panniers fitted. I still have the saddle bags if you want to make me an offer!

Ooppss....been away again... :roll:

Yep....the Sprint tank is plastic....so magnetic tank bags are a non-starter......Baglux or those ones where they have a clip type mechanism that goes around the filler cap are possibilities.... :wink:

Throw over panniers are the cheaper option......but keep an eye on eBay for the Triumph luggage (the Sprint uses the same pannier cases as the Tiger 1050.....but the pannier brackets are slightly different).

When using the bike solo I use a Kriega tailpack.....but that's no good for 2-up though.

Hi all

Just after some thoughts!

I'm debating buying luggage for the sprint. OEM are out because they cost a fortune and so are the nice stainless BMW style panniers the OH pointed out as her favourite in J&S (£270 each!!!! how does she always pick out the expensive ones??)

So my options are

- do nothing. Pro = bike looks good. Con = have to carry chain and everything else in backpack, don't like it.

- soft saddlebags like http://lockitt.com/images/pannblackJSW.jpg. Pro = nicer than top box (I think), can get lots of things inside. doesn't disturb me while riding. Once removed you'd never know it was fitted. Con = no room for helmets, worried it'll scratch the bike

- givi top box. Pro = big one will fit 2 helmets, OH can use as a backrest, easy to remove, no risk of scratching paintwork. Con = not keen on look when on, even when removed leaves a rack hanging off the bike. More expensive than other options

So what do you think, both from looks and any experience of having either option?

p.s. not keen on a tankbag, although would consider if had a leather tank cover (watching one on ebay but gets £££ pretty quick).

Heads up Mate just a thought, the BMF rally is not too far away, always bargains to be had if you can hang on till then?

Hmm bmf might be an option. Been perusing eBay and Zipster is going to send me a photo of the ones he doesn't need so might go for them.

Yeah tango I'd like the triumph ones but not seen anything reasonably priced online and thats before I get them sprayed the right colour :-( interesting the tiger ones fit though. That might be a job for next year once we see just how much touring I get in!

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/29/yqype8uz.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/29/za7ugahy.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/29/adejyqep.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/29/a9ubaqy9.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/29/u3ehyda6.jpg

I used to use an Oxford soft bag and it was awsome, strapped to the bike very well, duct tapes the bungees so they don't scratch and I left my bike with it wandering around town (empty) then put shopping in when done. I used to clip helmet on the under seat clip so i would just be carrying gloves and wearing the rest.

Since I bought my bike it came with soft panniers and a soft top bag and a tank bag.

I love the tankbag whe just grabbing somthing like some milk or a cinease etc.. But the panniers and top luggage are awsome for visit homes (3 hrs+ away) or when the gf wats me to bring the ps3 to hers (don't ask..).

Needless to say I love the. All, and each has it's own use.

If you are looking to try-out a soft luggage top, I can sell you my old one for very little.